Kodi Community Forum
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support (/showthread.php?tid=116905)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-09

So I just got a new Google Chromecast and installed Kodi on it along with the OzWeather addon. Addon working but I can't see where to copy the extra XML files so I get the radar etc. Does anyone know where I should copy them?

Thanks!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-10

@DavidFW1960 ...hmm, this I do not know.  Basically, you'll want to find the addons folder...in there should be skin.estuary (assuming that is what you are using) - and you'd pop them xml files in the xml folder under there.  However, you need to do this each time the skin is updated, I believe.  Thinking about it, I am surprised no one has brought this up as a problem before.  Perhaps Estuary is not updated often, or perhaps when it is only new changes are copied across so it doesn't overwrite the modified files.  And in some installations, the addons folder is not writeable.

I avoid all this as  I personally use Confluence and maintain my own fork of that (in my own repor) - with the weather files included.  Ideally someone who likes Estuary (that someone is definitely not me!) - would maintain a fork of that with the skin files integrated.  I don't think the Kodi folks would accept a PR of my custom skin files against mainline Estuary..which would be the best solution, but it's really too addon specific.

I should probably add a utility to the addon to attempt to do this automatically - so that e.g. when Estuary is update, you can just re-run this utility to patch the skin files - again, though, I am not sure if the Kodi folks would approve an addon that attempted to modify core skin files.   I could write such an addon as a separate thing and keep it in my own repo, I suppose.

I shall mull that over during the end of year break.  I don't think it would be too hard to do.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - dixons - 2020-12-10

(2020-12-08, 09:21)bossanova808 Wrote: @dixons Working fine here on both Leia and Krypton...on both Windows and CoreElec...

Deleted and reinstalled and both working again

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-10

Ok, I've never had to do that in like 10+ years of using OzWeather.  Often, there's an upstream glitch with scraping the data sources - which results in a temporary lack of weather info.  My advice for next time is wait a few days, ask here, as 99.9% of the time those things resolve themselves.  Otherwise, I can make a scraper change if needed, but that's not very often....

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-12

(2020-12-10, 00:24)bossanova808 Wrote: @DavidFW1960 ...hmm, this I do not know.  Basically, you'll want to find the addons folder...in there should be skin.estuary (assuming that is what you are using) - and you'd pop them xml files in the xml folder under there.  However, you need to do this each time the skin is updated, I believe.  Thinking about it, I am surprised no one has brought this up as a problem before.  Perhaps Estuary is not updated often, or perhaps when it is only new changes are copied across so it doesn't overwrite the modified files.  And in some installations, the addons folder is not writeable.

I avoid all this as  I personally use Confluence and maintain my own fork of that (in my own repor) - with the weather files included.  Ideally someone who likes Estuary (that someone is definitely not me!) - would maintain a fork of that with the skin files integrated.  I don't think the Kodi folks would accept a PR of my custom skin files against mainline Estuary..which would be the best solution, but it's really too addon specific.

I should probably add a utility to the addon to attempt to do this automatically - so that e.g. when Estuary is update, you can just re-run this utility to patch the skin files - again, though, I am not sure if the Kodi folks would approve an addon that attempted to modify core skin files.   I could write such an addon as a separate thing and keep it in my own repo, I suppose.

I shall mull that over during the end of year break.  I don't think it would be too hard to do.

Oh yeah it's an utter PITA (or it would be) Every time I get an OSMC update, it kills the skin. I wrote a script to copy over the files again and I reload the skin done... but yes it's a PITA. I hate confluence as you hate Estuary BTW lol.

Of course I did look for the skin.estuary - no luck.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-12

Yep I plan to write a little utility addon to make this easier - basically if the skin get updates, just run this utility and it should patch Estuary and Confluence at least...well, that's the idea anyway.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-12

(2020-12-12, 08:18)bossanova808 Wrote: Yep I plan to write a little utility addon to make this easier - basically if the skin get updates, just run this utility and it should patch Estuary and Confluence at least...well, that's the idea anyway.

That would be great. It seems for me to get access to the estuary theme I need to root the chromecast which seems untrivial... so this utility would be great.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-13

It would only work if Kodi (addons) had write permission access to wherever estuary is.  Which I guess it must if updates are downloaded...anyhoo, will give it a try soon.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-13

(2020-12-13, 03:49)bossanova808 Wrote: It would only work if Kodi (addons) had write permission access to wherever estuary is.  Which I guess it must if updates are downloaded...anyhoo, will give it a try soon.

Yeah understood. I might take a crack at modifying estuary skin anyway but keen to try your addon when available too.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-13

(2020-12-12, 08:18)bossanova808 Wrote: Yep I plan to write a little utility addon to make this easier - basically if the skin get updates, just run this utility and it should patch Estuary and Confluence at least...well, that's the idea anyway.

So fun times.... I ended up downloading the Krypton Leia from the Kodi repo and slipped the files into the XML folder and edited the folder name and also addons.xml

I then had to install addon from zip file. Kodi was uninterested in loading it if I just copied the folder into addon_data in user data folder. Or maybe It's not clear/easy to reload a skin via the ChromeCast... I did reboot the CC still no dice. So when I load from zip it seems to be writing it to the super special hidden android place it uses.

The radar is now working but I don't see a background to the radar. Everything else is there just no map background. I see the radar... Anyway it is such a bloody PITA the way Kodi loads basic stuff on Android.....

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-15

@DavidFW1960 

If you want to try the first version of the skin patcher tool out - https://github.com/bossanova808/repository.bossanova808/tree/master/staging/script.ozweather-skinpatcher ...I've juat knocked it up and tried it once so far, but worked for me (on Windows).

It just backs up the original files, copies the new ones, and reloads the skin.  Only patches the current skin, and only if that is Confluence or Estuary.

Later I will add a dialog and a restore original files option to it...

RE: your missing background - would need a debug log to look at that.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-15

...oh, it's not in the repo 'proper' yet - you'll have to manually add it at this stage.  I want to polish it a bit more before I make it installable via the repo.

And it's Matrix only, as I'm not bothering with new stuff for older Kodi versions anymore.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-16

(2020-12-15, 09:06)bossanova808 Wrote: ...oh, it's not in the repo 'proper' yet - you'll have to manually add it at this stage.  I want to polish it a bit more before I make it installable via the repo.

And it's Matrix only, as I'm not bothering with new stuff for older Kodi versions anymore.
Not sure how to install this... do I add this https://github.com/bossanova808/repository.bossanova808 as a repo and then install from repo?

I'll get a log for the skin background issue.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - bossanova808 - 2020-12-16

Yeah if you don't know how, probably best to just wait till I polish it off, but at that point, yes you'd install the repo and then install from there.  I'll post some instructions when its ready.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data - DavidFW1960 - 2020-12-16

(2020-12-16, 01:19)bossanova808 Wrote: Yeah if you don't know how, probably best to just wait till I polish it off, but at that point, yes you'd install the repo and then install from there.  I'll post some instructions when its ready.

Ok but I'm happy to help test it if you want that but I need to know how to install it..