Kodi Community Forum
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support (/showthread.php?tid=116905)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Thomfam - 2021-06-19

Yes mate got it now.  All showing OK with temps etc.  I downloaded a fresh weather.ozweather-main.zip  It took 2 goes to get it.  Tried to install the first one and Kodi told me it was not the right format (or something) and installation failed. Downloaded it again after uninstalling the version Ozweather 2.0.1 that I already had.

Installed the latest download of weather.ozweather-main.zip, went through the settings again and "Bingo"  all up and running perfectly!  Looks great!

Thanks for persevering with me.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Thomfam - 2021-06-19

I suggest the problem I had was caused by me not wanting to use the default radar as suggested by the app.  We live on the Sunshine Coast.  The default radar in the app is IDR663 where a much better setting for us is IDR662.  IDR662 gives much better radar coverage for areas north of Brisbane.

When I had selected my preferred radar IDR662 the radar showed great but the current temps humidity etc were missing.  I put it back to IDR663 everything works great.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-06-19

@Thomfam Nope, that's definitely not it.  The radar code and the observations have zero relationship.  It was just that you weren't actually using refreshed data from a working 2.0.1.  I know exactly what causes the problem and it's specifically if you're not using the latest OzWeather 2.0.1, then it isn't setting the values - specifically for the latest skin files.

I think you've just confused yourself in your testing...and just to be triple sure, I've tested both those radars just now with zero issues.

@dawsonjw I have no issue removing the BG from Amber if others don't object - that would be @Tyreless right now I guess?

I am using OzWeather 2.0.1 (it's under the radar map).  Ok, so I have swapped the radar back to IDR662 in alternative setting.  I click on the 'refresh' button under the Radar Map and I get no temp etc read outs read out.  I go into the App settings, put in IDR662 into System, "Services" Weather and click on "Settings".  I'm in Caloundra West, r7hzebb, it has my nearest radar as Brisbane, Mt Stapylton -IDR663 greyed out.

I click on Extended Features "Overrule Radar ID for Location 1" and I type in  IDR662.

Below that I 'activate' Refresh all radar backgrounds on next weather fetch?  Then I click on "OK".

When I return to the Kodi screen it says weather "Busy".  Eventually it comes up with weather details.

I click on "Weather" and there are no details on current temperatures or humidity.  Maybe I haven't refreshed enough.  I press on Refresh again under the Radar Map.  Still no current temp or humidity details.

How do I get a debug log.  Is it for Kodi or is it for Ozweather?

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-06-19

One refresh is all it takes.  There's your location, both radars, and all the data. It definitely works.....no need to purge the backgrounds each time, you'd only use that if you're having an issue with radar backgrounds...

One thing - you only need to set a radar if you want to overrule.  Otherwise you leave it blank.  So for location: Caloundra West, then either leave the overrule blank -> you get IDR663.  Or location Caloundra West, enter IDR662, you get that.  Each radar applies only to the same location (location 1, radar 1, location 2, radar 2).

One think I jsut thought of - if you're e.g. cycling locations, and you only have an old Weatherzone location set, not a new one - then yeah, you'd see what you're seeing.  I haven't add the new labels to the old code (which I will be removing before long anyway, but I suppose I should in the meantime for completeness).  So that's most likely your issue - but then you'd see a note about that in the extended forecast....

But I'll go ahead and add the new labels even to the old non BOM code, might as well I guess.

Kodi debug log is a Kodi thing -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy has instructions

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Tyreless - 2021-06-19

(2021-06-19, 06:14)bossanova808 Wrote: @Thomfam Nope, that's definitely not it.  The radar code and the observations have zero relationship.  It was just that you weren't actually using refreshed data from a working 2.0.1.  I know exactly what causes the problem and it's specifically if you're not using the latest OzWeather 2.0.1, then it isn't setting the values - specifically for the latest skin files.

I think you've just confused yourself in your testing...and just to be triple sure, I've tested both those radars just now with zero issues.

@dawsonjw I have no issue removing the BG from Amber if others don't object - that would be @Tyreless right now I guess?
I'd prefer to keep the background to keep consistency with all my other screen s in amber - I have it set up to use the same background in all views.

@Thomfam  - ok, so I have updated the legacy weatherzone code to set the same labels as the new BOM code - didn't really occur to me that you'd be using all the new stuff but not setting up new locations in all cases - sorry.  Anyhoo, if you go get the very latest zip from github and install that, refresh your data once (without changing settings) - it should fix your issue (alternatively, setting all your locations to BOM locations would do it too, and remove the warning message from the extended forecast...).

(Also - where you say 'eventually' - the weather retrieval is generally quite quick (a few seconds), once properly set up - as long as you DON'T enable that refresh backgrounds...the first time it has to fetch all of those, it can take a minute or two.  But from then on they are cached

@Tyreless - fair call.  I made it darker for John so hopefully he can live with that!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Tyreless - 2021-06-19

For me, a colordiffuse value of 50505050 works well, but it's going to vary from person to person depending on their tastes and the default background they use. I don't know how you can please everyone on this. It's not a dealbreaker for me - I just like having the information, regardless of the background!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - dawsonjw - 2021-06-19

(2021-06-19, 08:48)bossanova808 Wrote: @Thomfam  - ok, so I have updated the legacy weatherzone code to set the same labels as the new BOM code - didn't really occur to me that you'd be using all the new stuff but not setting up new locations in all cases - sorry.  Anyhoo, if you go get the very latest zip from github and install that, refresh your data once (without changing settings) - it should fix your issue (alternatively, setting all your locations to BOM locations would do it too, and remove the warning message from the extended forecast...).

(Also - where you say 'eventually' - the weather retrieval is generally quite quick (a few seconds), once properly set up - as long as you DON'T enable that refresh backgrounds...the first time it has to fetch all of those, it can take a minute or two.  But from then on they are cached

@Tyreless - fair call.  I made it darker for John so hopefully he can live with that!

Maybe have an option for no background or standard diffuse. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

That's really a skin thing...I don't want to go adding options for other folks skins inside of OzWeather (and also, bizarrely, there's no easy way to test what the current skin is from inside said skin, so that is harder than it sounds...)

I think the consistency argument is a good enough one, and it's quite legible in its current form so will just keep it as is.

Thanks mate, all working great now.  Re downloaded weather.ozweather-main.zip and followed your instructions.  All working great now across all my devices.

Thanks again.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Tyreless - 2021-06-20

(2021-06-19, 09:30)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-06-19, 08:48)bossanova808 Wrote: @Thomfam  - ok, so I have updated the legacy weatherzone code to set the same labels as the new BOM code - didn't really occur to me that you'd be using all the new stuff but not setting up new locations in all cases - sorry.  Anyhoo, if you go get the very latest zip from github and install that, refresh your data once (without changing settings) - it should fix your issue (alternatively, setting all your locations to BOM locations would do it too, and remove the warning message from the extended forecast...).

Cheers

John
As a workaround, you can try changing the colordiffuse value at line 23 of MyWeather.xml to FF000000.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-06-20

(but note you'd have to do that each time you patch the skin, so not ideal).

I have spent this morning trying to find a way to set a skin background option, or to make the opacity level an option, but it seems that because skin files are loaded before the weather addon runs, I can't control this at all.  So I am afraid unless I come up with some solution I haven't thought of yet, a setting is not possible...

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - dawsonjw - 2021-06-20

(2021-06-20, 00:30)Tyreless Wrote:
(2021-06-19, 09:30)dawsonjw Wrote:

Cheers

John
As a workaround, you can try changing the colordiffuse value at line 23 of MyWeather.xml to FF000000.

Actually that is heaps better

Cheers

John

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-06-20

(2021-06-19, 06:06)Thomfam Wrote: I suggest the problem I had was caused by me not wanting to use the default radar as suggested by the app.  

I'm overriding all the suggested radars (I subtract 1 from the suggestion to get a 256km radar - so zoomed out a bit more) and they all work fine for me. Very happy with latest skins as well except that with the full screen the grey on transparent background is all but impossible to read the temperatures to the right of the radar. Needs to be a black background to be legible.