Kodi Community Forum
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support (/showthread.php?tid=116905)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Cinephile - 2021-10-09

(2021-10-09, 08:22)bossanova808 Wrote: The skin patcher has a restore mode, so you can just use that.

(Otherwise, look for the files labelled with .original on the end and restore those).
Sorry, what folder am I looking for?

I never used the patcher and manually edited my files because Aeon MQ is not supported according to the Wiki.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-10-09

I forget which Aeon is which, there are too many of them!

The same folder you did the manual patch in then  (addons/skin.aeon.mq8/ then xml/1080p or similar)  ... or just search for *.original etc

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Cinephile - 2021-10-09

I nuked the skin..

Time for something more minimal. Arctic Zephyr here I come.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - WhatZit - 2021-10-09

(2021-10-08, 05:18)bossanova808 Wrote: I hope to submit this fix sometime today, and after that it depends how quickly the Kodi folks approve things.

You might want to flag this fix as an urgent update, because, at least on the latest v20 Nexus install, the overloaded radar image process prevents Kodi from exiting (Exit/Shutdown/Restart).

I think Kodi signals for that BOM ftp process to exit, but it reports "hold your horses, I'm not finished", and so it just hangs there, for hours.  Luckily, you can still Task Manager the Kodi process to death.

Disabling the OzWeather addon removes the hang entirely.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Thomfam - 2021-10-09

Really looking forward to that update coming through.  I am now having problems shutting my Kodi down which is possibly caused by OzWeather still trying to download all those images.  I'm using the AeonNox Silvo skin and my weather page just says "Busy" with the weather info taking ages to load.  Roll on the update and thanks Bossanova808 for recoginizing the problem and sorting a fix.  We just need the guys at Kodi to put out the update.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-10-10

Yep not great, if hangs are happening.  I didn't realise that was happening - but I have copied my own fixes to most of my own installs by now!

If you want to fix yours, unzip and  copy this resources folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5cokgjit1ggc13/resources.zip?dl=0 - over the resources folder in your addons/weather.ozweather folder.  That will fix it for you and you'll still get the official update when it comes.  Unfortunately, until the BOM fix things, it's still not a perfect solution....just listing the folder of images (the BOM store them ALL in one folder!) - takes a whole minute or two, so if your Kodi is doing that at an ipportune moment (e.g. you're exiting) - I guess you might still see a hang for a minute or two then, and generally slower weather updates. But I've been using it this way for the last few days without significant issues.

OR - even easier - you can simply temporarily turn off 'extended features' in the addon settings (then restart your Kodi, it may not pick it up otherwise as the service is already running) - and that will stop the radar side of things for the time being.  I just tested this here and that works.

There's nothing I can do to speed up the initial listing of radar images, that's entirely up to the stupidity of the BOM keeping billions of images in one folder.  At some point they'll realise and kick start their clean up thing, I'm sure, unless this really is some sort of intended change to their ancient system, which seems very unlikely after more than a decade of working in one specific way.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-10-10

(and yes, I have asked for an urgent review, or at least tried to - not sure of the appropriate way there).

Apparently what I did worked, as the changes have just been approved, just a few mins after pinging them.

So you should be able to get your official update to v2.0.3 soon.

As I said, it will still be slower than normal to do weather updates, because of that folder list operation.  If you can't live with that, then turn off extended features until the BOM fix their end up!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Karellen - 2021-10-10

You can download from here if you are in a hurry... https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/matrix/weather.ozweather/

Thanks @Karellen 

One question about that - the Kodi language when you load an an addon update from a .zip implies that it will then, forever more, no longer update automatically anymore: 

Thus I am always hesitant to recommend this!

Is that warning actually right?  Does it break future updates?  I suspect (hope) that maybe the warning is over zealous??

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Karellen - 2021-10-10

The (excluding served repositories) means that an addon installed via zip, that is also available in the Kodi repo, will continue to update as per normal.

zip-installed addons are checked for updates against official repository and any other repository you have installed eg the Bossanova808 repo

Righto - language isn't great there!  But good to know, thanks!

Just for extra info - there are currently over 700,000 files in the radar directory!!  Normally this would be just a few thousand at most I think.  Someone at the BOM broke something!!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Thomfam - 2021-10-10

Thanks for the update, working heaps better now.  Not perfect but heaps and heaps better.  And I can close Kodi now.

I tweeted at the BOM and not long thereafter the number of files in that folder went from 730,000 -> a much more normal (for them) 7000.

Everything should be all good/fast again, and there are sane limits at the OzWeather end to prevent this sort of BOM mistake from breaking things again...