Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-12-05

There's quite a few errors and I noticed you have uvesafb loaded, its not really needed I dont think. It can be blacklisted.

You can try and see what those errors mean and try finding a fix, its really way too much for here. I dont have time to google this stuff up and I dont know it from memory.

You can also disable DPMS thoughIm not sure how to do that in amd ATI gfx.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - suppenkasper - 2012-12-08

Hey Guys! Great work. I use an E-350 Laptop and want to use it as media center with a full Ubuntu 12.04. The Media Center should work on my 46" Plasma over HDMI and the usual functions of a laptop should be available on demand. My Laptop has 4GB RAM and I use the 64-Bit Version of Ubuntu 12.04.

I did everything from the how to and 1080p videos run smooth with 60% - 80% CPU/GPU Usage. Only annoying is now the tearing of the picture. I see that there are no dropped pictures, but it's equal with preferences I use, there is no really good picture without teared framed pictures.

I use the standard surface (unity).

Do you have any suggestions and how to find the issue.

My driver is the newest from the ATI Website and it took a while to convice xvba to run.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-12-08

@supenkaspar: please read the 1st post carefully again!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-08

@supenkaspar: To say it more directly, without improving your reading skills, which is sad:

The howto _does_not_ install unity. Don't use unity at all. Start xbmc directly from the lightdm session. Remove pulseaudio and libasound2-plugins (apt-get remove --purge). Make sure you did all the xbmc settings, we told in the howto, especially (System -> System -> Video Hardware: Vertical Blank Sync: Always enabled).

Don' use fglrx 12.11betaX as this driver is broken. 12.10 stable version from the amd homepage is a good driver for 12.04 Ubuntu. It does not run on later Ubuntu's version cause as it only supports xorg 1.12. But it is a good solution for 12.04 Ubuntu.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-12-08

Actually the new 12.11beta11 fixes the disappearing font issue. Its been updated on wiki and other posts related to this.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-08

@uNiversal:
Did you try it? No - you didn't. Please revert those changes. 12.11beta11 introduces regression within OpenGL, you get one framedrop every second. Also H264 Level51 with 16 Reframes ist totally broken - output is just green. Please don't recommend drivers you didn't test - that gets a support nightmare.

Those things will be fixed in the next stable driver AMD will be releasing hopefully in December.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-12-08

Some users reported it working. But I will change it. That was for windows only (disapearing txt), not Linux.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - tutu - 2012-12-08

With Ubuntu minimal - is there anything I need to install to make sure AMD cool n' quiet is doing it's job? I'm asking as I am using a passive case, so it's important!

@uNiversal: this is a linux thread, but don't mind - thanks for changing it back.

@tutu: It "should" work out of the box. Watch a bit at /proc/cpuinfo, if the correct governor is used and frequency scaling is working.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-12-09

AMD has very recently pushed some changes to the Open Source Radeon driver to make HD audio possible, it just needs to be implemented in Alsa now. Its highly probable that after that HD audio passthrough will be possible with fglrx too.

for those interested: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/commit/?h=drm-next-3.8&id=fbed600af159b9dce78dd74c4bff56b40bb19d47

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - hombre168 - 2012-12-09

Thanks a lot for this great work, I'm a really big fan of XBMC with Xvba support.

However, sind XBMC Frodo v12, I noticed a minor issue with playing HD movies and get black borders thereafter. For my htpc configuration, "--set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0" has no effect. In order to delete black borders at startup, I have to run
Code:
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=dfp2,positionX:48
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=dfp2,positionY:28
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=dfp2,sizeX:1825
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=dfp2,sizeY:1027

This is valid until I start a HD movie. First, when starting the HD movie, the screen goes black for a short moment and then, the black borders are visible again during playback. Can you give me an advice in order to remove the black borders for all situations?
Sorry, if this was already answered, but I couldn't find any...

Thanks very much,
hombre168

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-09

@hombre168:
The Underscan has nothing to do with Frodo or not. It is highly important to stop lightdm, so that no X is running at all. After this the underscan command might work.

When your movie switches the refresh rate on start, those settings you did - only relevant for the current mode you did them - will be reset.

So, retry with the Underscan and absolutely no X running.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - Jan0sh - 2012-12-09

(2012-12-09, 11:07)wsnipex Wrote: AMD has very recently pushed some changes to the Open Source Radeon driver to make HD audio possible, it just needs to be implemented in Alsa now. Its highly probable that after that HD audio passthrough will be possible with fglrx too.

for those interested: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/commit/?h=drm-next-3.8&id=fbed600af159b9dce78dd74c4bff56b40bb19d47

This news is fabulous!
Any idea how long this might take to be implemented in alsa?
Which steps will be needed to upgrade?

THX so far!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-10

@Jan0sh:
It does not directly mean that fglrx will also have those features directly. From what I see those registers are "absolute", which means - they are known for now, which is really good. But I think those bits set, will only be used for indication via HDMI, so that the receiver know what is coming. Let's see what the alsa change will bring.

When i looked last time into the alsa hdmi code, there is the generic version used to get hdmi audio out, but this implementation does not match at all - so we end up with just two channels, no lpcm, basically "spdif" features. It is a step in the right direction, but those registers are not enough for now to get LPCM going - hopefully i am proofed wrong here :-)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - beschmid - 2012-12-10

Hey guys, sorry to post this hear, I tried a clean install of xbmcbuntu-12_xvba-fglrx_legacy.iso, I finally was able to get it to boot to the install instead of defaulting to the LiveCD. After performing the install, I cannot SSH using putty from my windows machine into the xbmcbuntu machine. When I

#ssh 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, I get,
Quote:WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!
SSH was never an issue prior to fresh install so I have no idea what the heck to do. I don't have a ./.ssh/known_host file to delete and I have not generated a key of any kind yet. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad