Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - tutu - 2012-12-24

My issue with video stopping after a few seconds still exists in RC2.

It wasn't an issue for me in beta 3. But then again that was another install so something else might have changed e.g. fglrx for all I know!

I've done a clean install as my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD died

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-25

@tutu:

dpkg -l |grep fglrx

Make sure you have 512MB UMA size set in the BIOS for your card. And try with local files to rule out network problems.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - cirkator - 2012-12-25

So, with a lot of help from Fritsch (thanks again!) we managed to solve the problem.

I tried taping pin 19 of the HDMI-Cable, but it didnĀ“t work. Triple checked so it has to be another problem.

What solved to problem was a script, checking dmesg every 5 seconds. When it detects a problem (turning TV off) it restarts the connection, thus my Receiver gets a new signal and continues to play.
Until this Problem is fixed in the FGLRX driver use this scipt.

My Setup
Yamaha RX-V 473 Receiver
Sony KDL46 Ex-725 TV

Hope it helps you too. Big Grin

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - ant_thomas - 2012-12-26

I just thought I'd add my thanks for this guide.

After using the previous ubuntu minimal guides on the wiki years ago, a while back I needed to rebuild a few nvidia based HTPCs and couldn't find any reasonable nice and simple guides.

This guide has worked first time every time the past 3 times I've used it. Just swapping in the nvidia ppa (ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates) and installing nvidia-current and nvidia-settings and everything was great. No messing.

Thanks again.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - tutu - 2012-12-26

(2012-12-25, 16:44)fritsch Wrote: @tutu:

dpkg -l |grep fglrx

Make sure you have 512MB UMA size set in the BIOS for your card. And try with local files to rule out network problems.

dpkg -l | grep fglrx
ii fglrx 2:9.000-0ubuntu3 amd64 Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators
ii fglrx-amdcccle 2:9.000-0ubuntu3 amd64 Catalyst Control Center for the AMD graphics accelerators

I can't adjust the UMA size in BIOS unfortunately as it's not an option. I don't believe it is a network issue, I am dual booting with Windows and it works OK.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - User 150436 - 2012-12-26

Hi there,

i followed the guide in the first post and ran into some huge problems: when typing in

Code:
sudo aticonfig --initial -f

I keep getting the message

Code:
sudo: aticonfig: command not found

same thing when typing amdconfig. Anyone know how to solve this? At the moment my installation of xbmcbuntu won't even start. It's freezing on the XBMC-logo.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-26

@Flusher:
Make sure you did install "fglrx" as the howto suggests by doing
Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - divingmule - 2012-12-26

Hi, from the how-to
Quote:Edit: update to best driver for precise:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1212272
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996&pid=1212272#pid1212272

Is this still "best driver for precise" Huh

TIA

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-26

@divingmule:
No - For precise I would use Catalyst 12.10 from the amd homepage. This driver _is_not_ for Ubuntu Quantal, so only use it with Precise, which has xorg 1.11.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - User 150436 - 2012-12-26

(2012-12-26, 17:46)fritsch Wrote: @Flusher:
Make sure you did install "fglrx" as the howto suggests by doing
Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

Well of course I did this - as I said I followed the guide in the first post.

I somehow managed to get in to the Desktop environment underneath XBMC. When trying to start xbmc i get an error message that OpenGL is required for XBMC. So it seems like the drivers are still not installed properly.

@Flusher:
If you have a desktop environment under your xbmc - you did not follow the howto (as it installs without desktop). And missing OpenGL means your fglrx installation did not work succesfully.

Post the output of those two:
Code:
glxinfo
dmesg

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - User 150436 - 2012-12-27

Ok I somehow managed to install the ati drivers and followed the rest of the guide. XBMC is now working "properly". The bad thing: movies/videos can't be played. when selecting a movie, the screen goes black and shows only the OSD. After a few seconds the whole system freezes. how can i uninstall the hardware acceleration?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-27

@Flusher:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo reboot

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - illiac4 - 2012-12-27

How can edid.bin be extracted from ati card and your drivers?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - divingmule - 2012-12-27

(2012-12-26, 22:55)fritsch Wrote: @divingmule:
No - For precise I would use Catalyst 12.10 from the amd homepage. This driver _is_not_ for Ubuntu Quantal, so only use it with Precise, which has xorg 1.11.

Thanks! There seems to be great improvements with suspend/resume, for me, with 12.10 vs 12.06.

You guys kick ass! Can't put into words how happy I am with my wimpy little e-350.