Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - rogerjames99 - 2013-01-22

As I thought, the shutter on my phone is far to slow to capture anything. I will have to go amd retrieve my Nikon from my daughter!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-01-22

Your link does not work for me.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - rogerjames99 - 2013-01-22

@FernetMenta: Oops it looks like it is still uploading. It has been at it a couple of hours now. I think Ubuntu One must be broken although my upload speed is only 512K (ADSL).

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-01-22

Roger, I was referring to the calculated fps counter at the lower left of the codec screen. If this counter is around 25 you have not de-interlacing. If this is the case try to force de-interlacing by setting mode to on and method to xvba.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-22

@FernetMenta: @rogerjames99:
The default in OpenELEC is in deed Off - as we had a lot of users that chose On here, cause of thinking "Auto" could be improved and saved it for all movies - this was a great deal. So if it would work with "Auto" it would be best.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - rogerjames99 - 2013-01-23

Fantastic guys. No artefacts!

I wonder why auto is not working on this file?

Now the million dollar question is what is this going to look like on my old sony TV in the lounge where I first saw the problem. That only supports 1080i I suppose that something in the rendering path was "re-interlacing" the 25 fps stream. Hmmm. I am off downstairs to try it out!

Roger

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - rogerjames99 - 2013-01-23

And the answer is:

No artefacts. But jerky as hell and sound way out of sync.

Ah well.

Any recommendations on a new 36" widescreen TV that supports progressive scan!

I am off to the pub!

Roger

Roger

BBC 25p broadcasts - LateAdopter - 2013-01-23

FernetMenta

Just to clarify.... The BBC did announce that they were broadcasting some material in 25p on their DVB-T2 mux. I expect they still do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/2011/04/software-upgrade-for-bbc-hd-on.shtml

The fact that they were doing format changes within a programme caused quite a few problems.

The EBU standard says that, on a format change, a receiver may blank the output until the next random access point. Some televisions, notably Sony, did. So many viewers complained about the dropouts in the programmes.

Sony modified their firmware to fix the problem even though it was really the BBC's fault.

The ITV and C4 HD channels are carried on the BBC mux.

There never was any suggestion that they were doing this on satellite broadcasts.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - schumi2004 - 2013-01-23

Evening all,

In my attempt to reduce CPU load when XBMC is idle i checked the web for most common settings and found some differences in it.
I'm having a Zotac AD02 running latest OpenELEC Frodo nightly build.

I have found several guides for reducing CPU in idle mode but they are different with settings from start post.
Also the xbmc wiki is different in this.
As seen here in wiki the settings are:
(also used on several guides on the web)

Code:
<gui>    
   <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
   <visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
   <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>

But start post says to use:
Code:
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>

I also noticed DDS Fanart being mentioned but there isn't any trace of it in the advanced settings.
(not in start post and not in wiki, will it be helpful?)

Before i screw up my setup i wanted to ask which settings are leading now or best to use?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-23

@schumi2004:
Check the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_regions

It mentions, that only method 3 and fliptimeout 1000 is safe for every driver, so we suggest this one.

DDS fanart is not need anymore.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - schumi2004 - 2013-01-23

(2013-01-23, 23:44)fritsch Wrote: @schumi2004:
Check the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_regions

It mentions, that only method 3 and fliptimeout 1000 is safe for every driver, so we suggest this one.

DDS fanart is not need anymore.

Thanks for clarifying, just wanted to be sure that the thing i already thought was correct.
Except for fliptimeout it's still confusing, wiki doesn't say that 1000 is safe but i have configured it any way.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-24

@schumi2004:
yes you are right concerning the fliptimeout - no explicit mentioning in the wiki. If you want to read the code it is in deed Application.cpp - as the dirty region algorithm does not know itself of this timeout. Application.cpp "flips" the amount of time you set via the nofliptimeout and does nothing afterwards. From what the code says: a lower value saves more cpu cycles - can you check the difference between 0 and 1000?

Said this: Having the RSS reader enabled and dirtyregion 3 won't save anything, as hasRendered will always be true and therefore it will flip and consume cpu cycles. Here the method 2 could be interesting - but unsafe.

So to save power: Disable rss feed, reduce nofliptimeout to a value >= 0.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - schumi2004 - 2013-01-24

This is what i noticed:
With fliptimeout on 1000
Both cpu0 and cpu1 were steady switching between 2 and 8 % the first 10~15 seconds and cpu-xbmc was steady around 20~22% after that both cpu0 and cpu1 increased to 10~14% and sometimes tipping 35%, cpu-xbmc stil around 20~22%

With fliptimeout on 0
Both cpu0 and cpu1 were slightly increased and pretty steady around 8~14% all the time (all though the range between min and max was increased), cpu-xbmc was steady around 14~16% all the time also.

Both situations with rss feed off, don't like rss feeds, and with a screensaver timeout set to 3 minutes. Looked at the values until screensaver jumped in.

Does this help or making things clear?
Do you want me to test more?
I can record it if needed?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-24

@schumi2004:
I am not quite sure :-) The only thing the DirtyRegion fliptimeout should do is a time t afterwards the screen is not flipped anymore, despite there is new stuff to Render. Idle usage has quite increased over Frodo Time, it was arround 3% in the past - you could have a look at the different threads and what they are currently doing - you can use htop or ps uH p <PID_OF_U_PROCESS> | wc -l to check - Quite curious.

As xbmc is a highly multithreaded application, one has to watch all of the threads to find what it is causing.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-01-24

I suspect audio is one of the reasons, alsa does not get suspended on idle.