Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-02-19

first of all, upgrade to the newest package from xbmc-xvba. then disable tvh and try to reproduce the crash with local files.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - hal2100 - 2013-02-19

Hello,

I am using xbmc-xvba and have seen some strange cpu utilization in the menus, although I think this is not a problem of the xvba branch I would like to discuss it here first.

I realized that xbmc-xvba uses 100% of a cpu core if in some menus, but not in all. To investigate this further, I would like to ask for suggestions how to nail down the facts.

For example, I used top to see the core utilization, which is by far the best tool for this. I also have the md 13.1 driver installed, because I have a legacy onboard chipset HD3200.

The phenomenon is like this:
Using confluence, the menu item "Videos" has almost no cpu utilization. Movies with "latest added" also uses low cpu.
TV Shows with "latest added enabled" uses 100% of one core. As does the list of a TV show.

I know we have dirty regions (which is enabled), and I disabled the rss feed already. I am not talking about playback, which is fine, only about the cpu utilization in the menus.

Any advice to investigate this further?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-02-19

Quote: I also have the md 13.1 driver installed, because I have a legacy onboard chipset HD3200.

That is okay cause you are on Legacy. Go to System -> Video Hardware and enable: Vertical Blank Sync: Always enabled. If you are there, make sure it is running in Fullscreen.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - hal2100 - 2013-02-19

(2013-02-19, 13:38)fritsch Wrote:
Quote: I also have the md 13.1 driver installed, because I have a legacy onboard chipset HD3200.

That is okay cause you are on Legacy. Go to System -> Video Hardware and enable: Vertical Blank Sync: Always enabled. If you are there, make sure it is running in Fullscreen.

Hello,

I enabled "vsync always", but the behavior stays the same:
  • Video item without previews --> 4% cpu
  • Movie menu item with lates added -> 100%
  • TV Shows with latest added --> 100%
  • Movies library view (fanart view) w/o scolling text --> 4%
  • Movie library view (fanart) w/ scrolling text --> 100%
  • TV Show library --> 4%

I know xbmc has more or less "game roots", and idle optimization is not on top of the priority list, but is this issue worth investigating?
Do other even see the same behavior, or is it a driver issue? AMD drivers are not the best....

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-02-19

Downgrade the amd driver to 12.6 which is the legacy version before 13.1 and recheck. I did not know yet, that also the legacy driver update is affected, as the changes there were rather minimal concerning features :p they just made a steam game working, that was all.

On "non legacy" AMD hardware, every stable after 12.10 was broken concerning vertical blank sync with exact the issues you are seeing right now.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - hal2100 - 2013-02-20

Thanks for the hint with the 12.6 driver. Please flag the 13.1 legacy also as "not good".

XBMC has still a high cpu usage even when nothing moves (37% in top for the process), but this is way better than the 100% with the 13.1 drivers and the fan always running.
But it is interesting, that some view produce way more overhead than others, even with dirtys regions...

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-02-20

@hal2100:
Thx for reporting back. Will note :-)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - schmoko - 2013-02-21

I just switched to Fernet Menta's builds and really like them. Using VDPAU and playback is much smoother. Thanks for all the hard work.

Is there a way to follow changes in Alpha 13 Master without losing the benefits of Fernet Menta's branch? I prefer the VDPAU playback and audio synch, but I'm kind of confused about how development is happening. I could just clone and build from his git, but I'm a little worried about depending on something that is just one developer's playground.
  1. Are the wsnipex PPAs being built directly from FernetMenta git?
  2. Is there a changelog for Fernet Menta's git outside of github? The way the changes are commited to github is confusing, it looks like it is reset to a much older revision and then changes are merged from both the Fernet Menta branch and master one at time; and this is repeated every few days.

Unless there's some uber github feature I'm not seeing, its difficult to see what changes happened between any two points of time. For example, as of February 20, how I could tell when master was last pulled, and what Fernet has changed/updated on his own since 12.0?
  3. Is there a plan to pull Fernet's changes to master, or has this been abandoned? Is there an issue of code quality, breadth of change, or compatibility? It seems to be "good enough" for OpenElec so I wonder what is keeping it out of master.
  4. Is Fernet the sole developer on this branch? How siloed is he from the rest of XBMC development?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-02-21

I (and the community) test changes on my master branch. It is rebased regularly on xbmc master branch. Rebasing means all my changes floating on top.
Every now and then I factor out changes from this branch and submit to mainline.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - schmoko - 2013-02-22

Fernet,

Thanks, that makes more sense. Also, it's pretty easy to follow each rebase and subsequent commits by reading the Author Date instead of the Commit Date.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - whoppr - 2013-02-23

I am having the exact same problem as hal2100 with 12.10. For non-Legacy hardware, is this after Radeon 5000? I have an E350 which I think is 6310.

So this means I need to downgrade to 12.6 (assuming E350 is non legacy)? I tried doing this and get "No supported adapters detected". At the beginning of the post there is mention of having to use the 12.4 signature file. Is this what I need to do to get 12.6 to work? If so, where do I find the signature file?

Thanks in advance

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-02-23

12.10 is fine and no issue.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - whoppr - 2013-02-23

When I have 12.10 installed, everything plays fine however when I have Movies selected in the Home menu, the CPU spikes really high and stays there until I move to another menu. I tried two different skins with the same result. Could it be the recently added stuff that is on when the Movies menu is selected? Another issue then if not 12.10?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-02-23

that is not a driver issue. The recently added stuff seems to cause the screen to be dirty all the time, therefore causing constant rendering. The effect is the same as turning dirty region rendering off.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - whoppr - 2013-02-24

Thanks fritsch and wsnipex. I think I will just disable it then if that is the cause.