Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

- chemical - 2012-01-09

m.bluemle Wrote:if someon has a solution for usb 3.0 in xubuntu 11.10, please post it here!

What do you mean? Why shouldn't this work?

IIRC I had a USB 3.0 HDD connected to the E-350 one time, and it worked -but it was slow (even slower than common USB 2.0 HDD limit of ~30MB/s, XBMC eats a lot of CPU cycles, even if idle)

(Zotac Fusion Board, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit - used the blue ports on the back side)

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-09

i´ve an western digital mybook essential 2 tb external drive. when i connect it to an usb 3.0 port (the blue ones), nothin happen. the drive works on usb 2.0 ports and usb 2.0 drives work on the usb 3.0 ports. but the usb 3.0 drive on the usb 3.0 port does not work!

i did some searches in google and found several postings from people with the same problem, but no one has an adequate solution!

- kaze - 2012-01-09

hello, 30% CPU use even idle with the latest build, use to be around 2% before.

- o_dog - 2012-01-09

[quote=mkone]I just set the correct output in XBMC => Settings => System => Audio output:

- Audio output: HDMI
- Audio output device: hdmi (ALSA)
- Passthrough output device: hdmi (ALSA)

You can check whether your HDMI audio device is correctly setup in Linux on command line:

Yeah it's not, aplay -l doesn't list it. Using ubuntu miimal 11.10.
is ati hdmi sound still disabled in kernel?

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-10

Quote:hello, 30% CPU use even idle with the latest build, use to be around 2% before.

same to me! both cores at 30% in idle!
is this correct or an misfeature?

does anyone have the same issue with the tv-series database update? it does not update automatically though the youtube addon is installed!

- wsnipex - 2012-01-10

m.bluemle Wrote:same to me! both cores at 30% in idle!

does anyone have the same issue with the tv-series database update? it does not update automatically though the youtube addon is installed!

no its not normal and we noticed it too. We are looking into it, in the meantime it does help a bit to disable rss feeds. This brings down idle load by half for me, although it will still be a bit high.

- chemical - 2012-01-10

m.bluemle Wrote:same to me! both cores at 30% in idle!

By idle, you mean "idle" in the main menu?
If so, do you have configured to scroll an RSS feed at the bottom?

I presume that you're using default skin "Confluence" in current version.

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-11

@ chemical
i look in the settings menu in the hardware info, and this is "idle" for me. xbmc has nothing to do, only to render the confluence skin.
yes, i´ve the rss-feed activated.

@ wsnipex
ok, i will try it! but i like the rss-feed, so this is not the best solution for me! i hope you find the problem!

- mkone - 2012-01-11

o_dog Wrote:
mkone Wrote:You can check whether your HDMI audio device is correctly setup in Linux on command line:

Yeah it's not, aplay -l doesn't list it. Using ubuntu miimal 11.10.
is ati hdmi sound still disabled in kernel?

I have a AMD E-350 with AMD Radeon HD 6310 and it was working from scratch.

You could check whether your Audio device is found with:

Code:
lspci -nnk

This also shows which kernel module is used. You may get further help here: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug

- wsnipex - 2012-01-11

m.bluemle Wrote:@ chemical
i look in the settings menu in the hardware info, and this is "idle" for me. xbmc has nothing to do, only to render the confluence skin.
yes, i´ve the rss-feed activated.

@ wsnipex
ok, i will try it! but i like the rss-feed, so this is not the best solution for me! i hope you find the problem!

Please look at the main menu, some settings menus trigger redrawing.
There should not be more then 8% idle load with rss disabled.
You also also scrap off a little load by disabling nofliptimeout in advancedsettings.xml.

We don't know whats going on with RSS, but that is not xvba related, but must be fixed(if possible) in mainline.

If you really like RSS just leave it on. As soon as the screen saver kicks in the load should go down to 1-2% anyway.

- thctlo - 2012-01-11

wsnipex Wrote:nice job. If you repackage the Xvba branch as is(with the same configure flags) you might want to add a note, that it only works with ATI hardware, as I purposefully disable Vdpau and Vaapi.

Hai, ok done that,

new version is building now.

For some people to know,

I run on an asrock M3501/USB3 mainboard, on debian wheezy.
Sound for xbmc is done with hdmi, in xbmc i have set the output to "ati generic HDMI"

since i see some people having problems with hdmi to get to work, i dont know the difference between the ubuntu install and the debian driver install, but mine works out of the box.
you can check with alsamixer if the hdmi output is not muted.

- chemical - 2012-01-11

wsnipex Wrote:Please look at the main menu, some settings menus trigger redrawing.
There should not be more then 8% idle load with rss disabled.
You also also scrap off a little load by disabling nofliptimeout in advancedsettings.xml.

We don't know whats going on with RSS, but that is not xvba related, but must be fixed(if possible) in mainline.

If you really like RSS just leave it on. As soon as the screen saver kicks in the load should go down to 1-2% anyway.

If the screensaver is "dim", the rss feed keeps scrolling ;-)

- dermute - 2012-01-11

fritsch Wrote:Did you follow the how to step by step?

I tried this 4 times from zero and did not have this problem. Please recheck, if you could have forgotten something mentioned in the howto.
It works now, just had a stupid typo i didnt found the first tries... :/

thx anyways^^

- piotrasd - 2012-01-12

Can we please GUIDE how to update ubuntu 11.10 to kernel 3.2 with AMD XVBA support ?? because im update kernel without problems from official debs ubuntu but from guide in first page i can't get working this Sad only black screen Sad

Kernel 3.2 support 4 threads for AMD CPU .. in this 3.0.0 i get only 2 working Sad

- fritsch - 2012-01-12

piotrasd Wrote:Can we please GUIDE how to update ubuntu 11.10 to kernel 3.2 with AMD XVBA support ?? because im update kernel without problems from official debs ubuntu but from guide in first page i can't get working this Sad only black screen Sad

Kernel 3.2 support 4 threads for AMD CPU .. in this 3.0.0 i get only 2 working Sad

The short answer is: no.

The long answer: We want this to work for as many "normal" people as possible, so the steps to get it going are well tested and minimized. Installation of a 3.2 kernel would not make anything better for 99.9 per cent of our users and it would possibly break working installations cause of driver changes, firmware changes, e.g.

What you can do:
If you still know your steps and you can easily summarize them, just go on and post these steps into one of the next entries. We tried to support the upcoming preceise release some days ago, but it does not even compile for now with our standard procedure.

If you need any further help, we created a temporary irc channel on freenode #xbmc-xvba. We could look at the kernel.log and the Xorg.0.log which stopped you going with 3.0.0-14.