Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - biau - 2013-04-26

edit3: problem solved.

Sorry about that, my last bios update reselect auto in the shared memory even if that was set up at 512Mb before.

Hi
I would like to use your version of xbmc because when running 1080p video with high bitrate I do have lag on complex scene sometimes.

Here's my config:
- I use the tested git build version
- AMD A6-3500 APU
- xbmcbuntu 12 up to date
- htpc connected on a yamaha rxv-573 av receiver (with also ps3 and cable decoder)
- hdmi splitter
- and finaly the splitter is connected on a LCD samsung LE40b650 and on a mitsubishi HC7800D hc projector

Here's the trouble I got:
- htpc/receiver and TV are on
- Everything run ok I start a video, cpu is quite because xvba is doing the job.
- I turn off/on the TV
- the video play back does not run ok anymore and I receive the wrong frame (example I do not see frame A frame B frame C frame D but frame A frame C frame D frame B)

This problem happens sometimes after a fresh startup, it looks like the order of starting the different hardwares does have an impact.

So the only way to correct this is to restart everything or to diable xvba...

Here's the pastebin of the log I have just created:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5604743/

FYI I already had this problem before using the splitter with only the TV connected to the receiver

Hope you can help me

edit: tested with only the HTPC and TV and I get the bug so definitively not related with my complex hdmi chain...
edit2: found someone who had the same issue with openelec: http://openelec.tv/forum/117-xvba-amd/39971-problems-with-displaying-hd-content-video-hickups

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fastmodena - 2013-04-27

In video settings with an Intel gpu you still use VAAPI for hw acceleration, correct? Not XVBA as that is for AMD and not VDPAU because that is for Nvidia?

How can I know for sure that I have the correct Intel driver installed and that I am truly getting hardware acceleration?

XBMC or glxinfo in terminal both report vendor as Intel open source technology center and the driver as Mesa 3.0 9.1.1

Is Mesa correct? I thought with Intel it should be LIBVA?

Thanks for any clarification.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-04-27

Choose: VAAPI

When you play a movie, press "o" you will find something like h264-vaapi in the codec line.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fastmodena - 2013-04-27

(2013-04-27, 21:45)fritsch Wrote: Choose: VAAPI

When you play a movie, press "o" you will find something like h264-vaapi in the codec line.

When pressing "o" there is no reference to vaapi. It says h264(high). I assume that is still hw acceleration?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-04-27

Enable xbmc debug logging on post the xbmc.log after you have played some movies.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-04-28

Not sure whether to post this here or a new thread, but here goes.

Installed XBMCbuntu (Nvidia version) to a Reve R3700 (ION2) machine. Worked fine.

Decided to update to wsnipex because it is reported to have better vdpau code. Now it crashes.

Crashlog: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5610492/
Debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5610494/

Version installed

Code:
nick@test-xbmc:~$ apt-cache policy xbmc
xbmc:
  Installed: 2:13.0~git20130405.0500-41061a8-0quantal

To my untutored eye it looks like the crash is in the CEC code somewhere (crashlog refers to
Code:
PERIPHERALS::CPeripheralBusCEC::PerformDeviceScan(PERIPHERALS::PeripheralScanResults&)
and the last lines of the log are
Code:
11:48:17 T:3007866688   DEBUG: CPeripheralBusUSB - initialised udev monitor
11:48:17 T:3007866688   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcec.so.2)
11:48:17 T:3007866688   DEBUG: Loading: libcec.so.2

This was a pretty virgin install. I have not installed any addons. I added a video source but didn't scrape. I have tried moving .xbmc/userdata and it makes no difference.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-04-28

OK Fixed it. I remembered I had seen there was a updated libcec2 in the wsnipex ppa. Installed that and all appears well.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - keynone - 2013-04-29

(2013-04-25, 08:18)fritsch Wrote: Update: Made some short tests. The vertical sync 100% cpu back is not fixed in this release :-(

So, which version should I install? I just tried the 13.4 release and I am having the 100% cpu (1 core) when idle problem.

I tried enabling dirty regions and all, but it had no effect.

I am running XBMCbuntu by the way.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-04-29

I said it 100 times now.

Every fglrx driver release since catalyst 12.11 (not for xorg 1.13) and 12.9Quantal(shipped with Ubuntu Quantal) is broken. It is a severe driver bug, that is not fixed by AMD since more than 6 months now. Install Ubuntu 12.10 and keep the fglrx driver provided with it.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-04-29

Every driver after 12.11 (xorg 1.12 only) and 12.9Quantal(xorg 1.13 shipped with Ubuntu 12.10) is broken. It causes 100% CPU usage with enable vsync.
There is currently no driver that can be installed for Ubuntu 13.04 - don't use this version.

Currently you have the choice to use Ubuntu 12.04 and manually install Catalyst 12.11. Alternatively you can install 12.10 and keep the provided driver (fglrx 9.0.0ubuntu3). Ubuntu 13.04 ships with Catalyst 13.1 that is broken, Catalyst 13.4 is also broken. Every other Catalyst release / beta since then is also affected.

In short: Don't use Ubuntu Raring.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - keynone - 2013-04-29

(2013-04-29, 10:15)fritsch Wrote: Every driver after 12.11 (xorg 1.12 only) and 12.9Quantal(xorg 1.13 shipped with Ubuntu 12.10) is broken. It causes 100% CPU usage with enable vsync.
There is currently no driver that can be installed for Ubuntu 13.04 - don't use this version.

Currently you have the choice to use Ubuntu 12.04 and manually install Catalyst 12.11. Alternatively you can install 12.10 and keep the provided driver (fglrx 9.0.0ubuntu3). Ubuntu 13.04 ships with Catalyst 13.1 that is broken, Catalyst 13.4 is also broken. Every other Catalyst release / beta since then is also affected.

In short: Don't use Ubuntu Raring.

Thank you for your help. CPU usage went down drastically after downgrade the drive to the 12.10 stock driver.

However, I noticed that HD movies playback stutters. Is there anything I need to do to enable hardware acceleration or is that just the downside to using the stock driver?

Logfile please and make sure to have 512 MB UMA size. Also check your Audio Settings (No DTS-HD, No TrueHD, No AAC, Only 2.0 speakers), you can keep DTS and AC3 if your receiver supports this. Also Boost Volume on donwmix is okay.

(2013-04-29, 19:50)fritsch Wrote: Logfile please and make sure to have 512 MB UMA size. Also check your Audio Settings (No DTS-HD, No TrueHD, No AAC, Only 2.0 speakers), you can keep DTS and AC3 if your receiver supports this. Also Boost Volume on donwmix is okay.

logfile

UMA is set to 512MB, Audio Settings are set as you have described. It works fine with the 13.x drivers. The stock ubuntu driver wont let me play HD movies stutter free. It's pretty much unwatchable.

Enable debug logging (System -> Settings -> System -> Debugg).

Play at least one movie and pastebin the logfile after it has stuttered several times. Nice mess with the Pulseaudio driver.
Edit: Remove your custom /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asound.conf

(2013-04-29, 20:59)fritsch Wrote: Enable debug logging (System -> Settings -> System -> Debugg).

Play at least one movie and pastebin the logfile after it has stuttered several times. Nice mess with the Pulseaudio driver.
Edit: Remove your custom /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asound.conf

Again, thank you very much for your help and patience.

Debug enabled logfile