Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

- thctlo - 2012-01-12

piotrasd Wrote:Can we please GUIDE how to update ubuntu 11.10 to kernel 3.2 with AMD XVBA support ?? because im update kernel without problems from official debs ubuntu but from guide in first page i can't get working this Sad only black screen Sad

Kernel 3.2 support 4 threads for AMD CPU .. in this 3.0.0 i get only 2 working Sad

Since i run with kernel 3.1, i've seen this problem also on debian wheezy.
the radeon module is not loaded after reboot.

make user you can login on console as root ( or make sure you can sudo to root )
then try this.
login : ( as user )

then : sudo /sbin/modprobe radeon
or as root
modprobe radeon

now you here your screen is.

but.. wait your not there.
you need the fglrx driver not the radeon....

now install the ati driver, en blacklist the radeon driver
( in debian /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf , add blacklist radeon )
reboot the system.
this worked for me on debian wheezy, i think i will work on ubuntu also

- piotrasd - 2012-01-12

thanks i will be try Smile i hope this help

- fritsch - 2012-01-12

Just a notice. As it was found on nvidia hardware there is currently a problem with upnp. If you have unrelated crashes at the end of a movie, please try to disable upnp in: System -> Settings -> Network -> Server, deactivate the two first settings.

Status of PVR stability - grad - 2012-01-13

I know this is most likely not xvba related, but I just wanted to know how stable the PVR functionalilty in your fork is. I have now tried pretty much all available solutions (tvheadend, vdr+vnsi, vdr+xvdr, mythtv with cmyth. None of those was fully stable. One issue common to all of them is that the channels are synced alright, but when I reastart xbmc, it hangs at the beginning of fetching the channel list. It works again when I delete .xbmc/userdata/Databases/Epg7.db. Again, I'm aware this is slightly off-topic, but perhaps there are others running their PVR with xbmc-xvba and can share their experiences?

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-13

@ grad

i´ve used the pvr function for some times and have no bad issues with it. i use the tvheadend backend.
sometimes xbmc crashed after watching tv and then starting a movie.
i use xubuntu 11.10.

- EmuMannen - 2012-01-13

@grad, my pvr is more or less rock solid. I run tvheadend with xbmc (I was previously running vdr and myth (dvb-s) successfully). The only problem I occasionally experience is a pvr-client freeze when starting xbmc, it hangs at epg update. It only happens if I restart xbmc without rebooting the system. But my system is running 24/7 so it's usually not a problem. I dont experience craches while playing back media (movies, recordings or live tv). I am currently only using pvr with analog sd material via cable through an old pvr-150 card.

- grad - 2012-01-13

@m.bluemle,@EmuMannen: thanks guys for the feedback. Good to know it can work. So it seems we share the EPG update issue. Weird my box was instantly and reliably crashing when watching anything over tvheadend. Do you have any special settings in your advancedsettings.xml?

- wsnipex - 2012-01-13

grad Wrote:@m.bluemle,@EmuMannen: thanks guys for the feedback. Good to know it can work. So it seems we share the EPG update issue. Weird my box was instantly and reliably crashing when watching anything over tvheadend. Do you have any special settings in your advancedsettings.xml?

There is a bug with live tv. A fix will come soon, in the meantime press stop and then select another channel instead of switching directly.

- EmuMannen - 2012-01-14

grad Wrote:Do you have any special settings in your advancedsettings.xml?
This is all I got:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <loglevel hide="false">2</loglevel>
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>
  </gui>
  <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
  <cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/temp1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</cputempcommand>
  <videoscanner>
    <ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors>
  </videoscanner>
</advancedsettings>

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-14

@ grad: i´ve no special settings in advancedsettings.xml. i have the settings from the how-to here.

@wsnipex: i wanted to check the idle mode without rss feed. how can i look at the cpu usage at the normal startup skin? i only know the key "o" which shows me the usage during a movie, but this doesn´t work at the skin.

i´ve a new problem with SMB! i´m not able to connect to my desktop pc via SMB! with the thunar filemanager from xubuntu it works!
in xbmc i write the username and password and press ok and nothing happens!
is this a known problem?
the log-file shows no errors or something reliable to SMB!

- wsnipex - 2012-01-14

@grad: ssh into your xbmc box and type top

about the samba problem: nothing I would be aware of, this is also not related to xvba at all. please pastebin a debug log and we'll have a look. You could also join IRC(see 1st post) which makes it easier and faster to help.

- grad - 2012-01-14

m.bluemle Wrote:@ grad: i´ve no special settings in advancedsettings.xml. i have the settings from the how-to here.

Ok, thanks. Btw, I just saw you have a TeVii S470 too. Does it work flawlessly? Mine sometimes doesn't tune anymore, I can put my finger on it. I changed TV software and kernel drivers, but it's not really consistent. I just hope it's not a HW issue.

- grad - 2012-01-14

wsnipex Wrote:@grad: ssh into your xbmc box and type top

I think you meant m.bluemle here...

- wsnipex - 2012-01-14

new version available: xbmc - 2:11.0~git20120114.0703a86-0ubuntu1~ppa1
- fix LiveTV crash when switching channels
- ubuntu 12.04(precise) packages

- grad - 2012-01-14

grad Wrote:@m.bluemle,@EmuMannen: thanks guys for the feedback. Good to know it can work. So it seems we share the EPG update issue. Weird my box was instantly and reliably crashing when watching anything over tvheadend. Do you have any special settings in your advancedsettings.xml?

Just for the record: I wasn't aware that via the pulse-eight ppa one can get the current tvheadend beta, which brings several improvements. Perhaps that was also one difference between our systems. Everything is now coming nicely together and seems much more stable.

There is one other thing: I'm located in Germany and when I'm watching "Das Erste" (sd/hd doesn't matter) some programs have subtitles. When those are displayed I noticed severe garbage on the screen. In fact I have two problems with that: a) how do I turn those subtitles off (at the usual place in the menu I can't find it) b) the garbage. I'll try again with the most recent update.