Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-19

Still some things AMD has to work on:
a) mpeg2 and mpeg4 hw accel
b) Bitstream Audio
c) Better deinterlacing quality.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-06-19

Regarding (b). That new Asrock board has a realtek chip for audio. Can't that be used? So the motherboard suppliers compensate that amd weakness..

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-19

Bitstream Audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD) is only sent via HDMI. That other chip drives the SPDIF I think, which has other limitation concerning number of channels, etc. so also no LPCM 7.1 way to go here.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-06-19

aha thanks. I am up-to-date again. Do you happen to have a link/some info on OSS UVD you were talking about?

//EDIT: found your test report on OSS UVD.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - deadite66 - 2013-06-19

(2013-06-19, 16:12)Robotica Wrote: aha thanks. I am up-to-date again. Do you happen to have a link/some info on OSS UVD you were talking about?

This was the thread that interested me. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166621

(2013-06-19, 15:39)fritsch Wrote: Still some things AMD has to work on:
a) mpeg2 and mpeg4 hw accel
b) Bitstream Audio
c) Better deinterlacing quality.

And regarding the deinterlacing. So this is still not supported by the drivers, thus GPU. But as I understood CPU could still be used. In the past this was only single core due to XBMC's old FFMPEG. But nowadays FFMPEG is updated to a newer version. Does this also mean deinterlacing is done on multiple CPU cores?

We had this some time before, when the internal xvba was more buggy. It can be done - but it costs a lot more performance. I don't think the AMD GPUs can handle decoding + separate deinterlacing in high quality. We had BOB implemented that way, which also runs via xvba now. Bob needs one field and doubles the line it does not have, you find it in the xvba-sdk dokumentation, XVBATransfer iirc - read the last sentence about the scaling.

Offtopic: The BOB deinterlacer on intel needs more GPU load than decode and even more than encode (!) ... which was quite surprising :-)

(2013-06-19, 18:02)deadite66 Wrote:
(2013-06-19, 16:12)Robotica Wrote: aha thanks. I am up-to-date again. Do you happen to have a link/some info on OSS UVD you were talking about?

This was the thread that interested me. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166621

Seems promising but conclusions are a little blurry to me...

(2013-06-19, 18:30)fritsch Wrote: We had this some time before, when the internal xvba was more buggy. It can be done - but it costs a lot more performance. I don't think the AMD GPUs can handle decoding + separate deinterlacing in high quality. We had BOB implemented that way, which also runs via xvba now. Bob needs one field and doubles the line it does not have, you find it in the xvba-sdk dokumentation, XVBATransfer iirc - read the last sentence about the scaling.

Offtopic: The BOB deinterlacer on intel needs more GPU load than decode and even more than encode (!) ... which was quite surprising :-)

Not totally sure what you say ;-)

But I suspect the new Kabini's GPU are strong enough..

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - thctlo - 2013-06-19

Hai, the last weeks i experienced slow updating for subtitles and was unable to install add-ons.
This is since the last 2-3 updates or so.

in your temp/xbmc.log you wil see this erros : FillBuffer: curl failed with code 28

the soltion is add to your advancedsettings.xml ( maybe good to add in the howto at the beginning of the threat. )

<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>

I searched a lot with google and there are lost of people having this, and not much sites with solutions.

keep up the great work here, im really like your releases..

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-06-19

interesting. I didn't notice that, probably because I have ipv6 disabled on the OS level

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - evanpurkhiser - 2013-06-23

With the most recent stable xbmc-xvba build I'm encountering a minor bug when using evrouter

Evrouter can't seem to determine the details about the XBMC window, for example, when I run evrouter -d /dev/input/event* (which will print information about buttons pressed) I get this output

Code:
Window "(null)": # Window title
# Window "(null)": # Resource name
# Window "(null)": # Class name
"Riitek Micro Keyboard" "/dev/input/event10" none key/272 "fill this in!"

On the mainline XBMC it looks like this (which is correct)

Code:
Window "XBMC Media Center": # Window title
# Window "xbmc.bin": # Resource name
# Window "xbmc.bin": # Class name
"Riitek Micro Keyboard" "/dev/input/event10" none key/272 "fill this in!"

Not a huge problem, but thought I would post it here. Let me know if it would be better if I opened a bug in the GitHub tracker.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-06-23

Open an issue on my git repo, then I don't forget it. Thanks.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-06-24

Anyone an idea if the coming APU in consoles can do in relation to current driver limitations? At least the Xbox one aims to be a media center also..

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-24

As you know, that Xbox is done by Microsoft you can imagine ...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-06-24

Hi,
I have built an HTPC around a motherboard Asus F2A85-M LE equipped with an A10-5700.
The system is rock solid, based on Lubuntu 12.10 + XBMC 12.2 Frodo, and Catalyst 12.10, but since the whole
is supposed to be hosted in a fanless cabinet, it gets a little bit too warm.
I read that the catalyst 13.6 finally support A10, and I'm testing them on my other PC (Apple iMac 21.5" with Xubuntu 13.04).

Is there anyone who can tell me whether you can set power profiles on AMD A10 (or A8 or similar) with the new catalyst?

In general, do you think that is worth to try them, or it's just a beta, and it's not for your (wife dominated) living room yet?

Thanks,
Claudio