Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Crypdos - 2013-07-01

I'm a bit confused about the graphics driver I need. I installed the 13.6 beta driver by "wgetting" the zip, unzipping and running the .run file. If i'm right I installed the proprietary driver instead of the fglrx driver, right?

Movies are working great, but TV channels are giving me problems. Especially SD channels. Every ~2-3 seconds the picture speeds up to catch up, and fast scenes generally don't look smooth at all (I did enable deinterlacing). I don't know what phenomenon this is? Smile

Is this caused by getting the wrong driver? And what settings do I need to enable? Just XVBA, or do I still need VDPAU or VAAPI?

Ubuntu 12.04, Radeon HD6450 with latest xbmc-xvba "tested" version.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-07-01

if full HD movies work fine, then the driver is probably ok. The issue you see on SD TV could be cause by wrong fresh rate/modeline of the TV. e.g. playing 50HZ material on 60HZ refresh.

A debug log would show that Wink

and you only need XVBA for your gfx card.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-01

Turning on Deinterlacing for progressive content is nothing that you should do (keep it on Auto)!
Make sure that Vertical Blank Sync is always enabled.

And please post a logfile with debugging turned on. (You did nothing wrong for now).

Code:
dmesg | pastebinit
cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-07-01

fglrx is the proprietary driver

xvba currently dos not support mpeg2, hence you SD channels make no use of xvba

ignore vdpau and vaapi

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-07-01

fritsch, wsnipex, you don't have better things to do than watching this thread? Smile (I thought I was fast in responding)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-01

Yeah, you just were 2 minutes later than us, hehe.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-07-01

/wsnipex hands fernetMenta a bronze medal Smile

and since there were no updates in the xbmc-xvba ppa for 2 months, it really was time for a new version, so there it is:

version: 2:13.0~git20130627.0500-9372af7-0raring
notable changes:
- ffmpeg 1.2
- X11, multimonitor improvements and fixes
- video renderer improvements

AW: RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Jan0sh - 2013-07-01

(2013-07-01, 12:08)wsnipex Wrote: /wsnipex hands fernetMenta a bronze medal :)

and since there were no updates in the xbmc-xvba ppa for 2 months, it really was time for a new version, so there it is:

notable changes:
- ffmpeg 1.2

3 days ago I switched from xbmc-xvba to xbmc-xvba-testing ;)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-07-01

Shall I get it automagically on Ubuntu?

standard ubuntu update/upgrade procedure applies Wink

in other words: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Crypdos - 2013-07-01

Thanks for the fast response! Smile

I will post debug logs when I get home.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - divingmule - 2013-07-01

(2013-07-01, 12:08)wsnipex Wrote: /wsnipex hands fernetMenta a bronze medal Smile

notable changes:
- ffmpeg 1.2

Cool

I'm still using Ubuntu 12.04 with my e-350, is there any reason I should upgrade?

Thanks for any thoughts.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - emilsvennesson - 2013-07-01

(2013-07-01, 15:13)divingmule Wrote:
(2013-07-01, 12:08)wsnipex Wrote: /wsnipex hands fernetMenta a bronze medal Smile

notable changes:
- ffmpeg 1.2

Cool

I'm still using Ubuntu 12.04 with my e-350, is there any reason I should upgrade?

Thanks for any thoughts.
- ffmpeg 1.2
Big Grin

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Drag0nFly - 2013-07-01

Greetings everyone. This might be more related to X than XBMC itself; but hopefully some of you would also like to run XBMC in a multiseat config on a small form-factor system with a built-in Intel GPU. This is for a config where DVI: main display & HDMI: projector in a different room. These ports show up as HDMI1 & HDMI2 in XBMC, respectively. (The system is a Shuttle XH61V, btw.)

Synopsis:

So I'm trying to get XBMC running on two separate (independent) displays with Intel HD4000 (i.e, ":0.0" & ":0.1" or ":0" / ":1") I've been banging my head against the wall for the better part of a week without getting any closer to a working solution; no matter how I've tried to force the creation of two separate Screens (Screen #0 & Screen #1) in xorg.conf; X _always_ configures one screen on the primary display (when looking at the config with xdpyinfo), despite Xorg.0.log indicating that a Screen #0 & Screen #1 has indeed been created. Obviously, this causes XBMC to only see the primary display when launching and one has to override the X config with xrandr to get the second port to be detected. But this again makes the main session unusable, as XBMC always grabs the pointer (even when using -nocursor and the wmctrl workaround posted elsewhere.)

I've tried launching XBMC from the console (with an xinit script), with a separate/dedicated XBMC ServerLayout section, and with a combined xorg.conf (for both the LCD & PJ) and running it in a separate MDM session; without any luck. XBMC works, but one can only use one display at a time (which isn't what I am looking for)–I want XBMC to run independently 24/7 on the HDMI port while using the DVI port for regular (basic) Linux usage. I've also added the relevant ModeLines to xorg.conf and confirm that these are being used when starting the X server.

I've also not been able to create an X-config which isn't tied to a specific VT and which does not force a VT change (using the -sharevts & -noswitchvt options when starting (noticed when trying to start separate X servers for each of the output ports), i.e one server on ':0' and another on ':1'.

Somehow XBMC (or, most likely, X) reverts to the primary display and seems to ignore the fact that HDMI1 is tied to the LCD (via the ConnectedMonitor directive in xorg.conf) and HDMI2 is the PJ–i-e, selecting either HDMI1 or HDMI2 from within the XBMC UI results in it displaying on the same screen.

I know the ConnectedMonitor setting is being taken into account from looking at the Xorg.0.log, but this apparently gets ignored/overridden) So what happens is that XBMC launches with the resolution and settings of the correct port (HDMI2 in this case) on the wrong output– HDMI1.

I've thought about running XBMC from the console via EGL/DirectFB to get around any X interference, but I guess that will not solve the problem of being able to use the system as a desktop while XBMC is running on a different display.

If anyone has any xorg.conf files to share with a working independent screen setup (i.e, not a 'big desktop'), I would appreciate it as my searches for how to enable this have ended up being fruitless, and my own X hacking has proved to be mediocre.

On a related note:

When I do get XBMC running it is only using a spanning display (3480x1920) set up with xrandr, or launched individually from via a XBMC desktop session or SysVinit script. However, running it in fullscreen and 24Hz the video playback is very ugly (tearing in the middle of the picture). This is with the Xvba port of XBMC (which was the only one that was able to detect more than one screen, due to the limitation in SDL mentioned elsewhere on this forum)

I'm running the latest Intel drivers from 01.org, btw. (Which, at the time of writing are at the following versions)–

o Mesa - 9.1
o xf86-video-intel - 2.21.3
o Libdrm - 2.4.42
o Libva - 1.1.1
o vaapi intel-driver - 1.0.20
o Cairo - 1.12.14
o Xserver - 1.13.2.902

On kernel 3.8.0-25-generic (Ubuntu Raring), distro is Linux Mint 15. Appreciate any input from others who might also have tried this (or know more about the intricacies of X than I do!) Smile

(2013-07-01, 15:13)divingmule Wrote:

notable changes:
- ffmpeg 1.2

Cool

Thanks for any thoughts.

no need to upgrade ubuntu, 12.04 is fine.