Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

- fritsch - 2012-01-14

grad Wrote:In fact I have two problems with that: a) how do I turn those subtitles off (at the usual place in the menu I can't find it) b) the garbage. I'll try again with the most recent update.

Have seen the subtitle issue. Have it running in the debugger - will see if i can finde something.

Update:
I tried the following:
- 702p mkv + 1080p mkv with subtitles -> working
- bluray iso with subtitle -> not working

To disable them press: Enter ->go to the audio settings -> disable "Untertitel anzeigen"

- c-shadow - 2012-01-15

First, thanks everybody involved for a great setup and tutorial, very stable setup, been running for a couple of weeks without a problem. My previous installation (xbmc live and openelec fusion) were locking up often when browsing the menus. Tvheadend works.

I'm having some issues here:
1. random sync problems playing some SD contents in a playlist (cartoons for my kid) - when next movie starts there is sometimes a delay for a couple of seconds, the video stalls (on the first frame probably), sound works normal, then picture fast forwards to meet the sound. Either that or I get black screen for a second or two before video jumps forward. There are no sync problems afterwards.

2. Browsing the menus (default confluence skin) sometimes is slow, I press up on the remote and after a pause cursor skips one entry up. XBMC is frozen during that time. Same behavior with backspace, often happens after browsing in file mode, movie ends, were back in the file list, press backspace to get one directory up and freeze for 1-5 seconds. Didnt notice anything strange in the xbmc.log, it just takes coupe of secs after
Code:
OnKey: backspace
entries. Media is on another computer running ubuntu 11.04, access via NFS shares (local mounts via fstab), maybe something NFS related?

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-15

@ wsnipex: smb works after the new update!!!
here is a pastebin of the xbmc.log after it crashes down. i watch tv, then close tv, go to the movies and start one, than xbmc closes and i´m back on the xfce desktop!

maybe it can help you:

http://pastebin.de/22323

i´ve also tested the cpu usage with "top" over ssh. i have around 58% usage with rss feeds and 18% without!
40% difference is much, but 18% is also much more than in earlier versions of xbmc.

@ grad
my tevii works great! i´ve no problems with it!
i used this how-to to install the firmware! i only had to copy the downloaded firmware in the right folder and it works out of the box!
take a look:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TeVii_S470

PPA packages - grad - 2012-01-15

@wsnipex, fritsch: when I add the pulse-eight ppa, their XBMC packages override yours. Since you fork off that code base, could you make your packages overriding theirs? I would like to subscribe to both PPAs to have proper update feeds on tvheadend and xbmc.

@m.bluemle: thanks for the feedback. My S470 has now also been working great for some days, after having has some serious issues (basically the tuner didn't work, w_scan & friends had timeouts). I didn't (conciously) change anything, so perhaps it is a HW issue.

- wsnipex - 2012-01-15

grad Wrote:@wsnipex, fritsch: when I add the pulse-eight ppa, their XBMC packages override yours. Since you fork off that code base, could you make your packages overriding theirs? I would like to subscribe to both PPAs to have proper update feeds on tvheadend and xbmc.

@m.bluemle: thanks for the feedback. My S470 has now also been working great for some days, after having has some serious issues (basically the tuner didn't work, w_scan & friends had timeouts). I didn't (conciously) change anything, so perhaps it is a HW issue.

No I can't change that, Pulse Eight uses a different naming/versioning scheme Sad

you can try this:
create /etc/apt/preferences.d/pulse-eight-pulse-pin
Code:
Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-pulse-eight-pulse
Pin-Priority: 100

This should stop all packages from this ppa from installing that have ANY other version available in any repository.
Packages not available in any other repo will still install.

- fritsch - 2012-01-15

For the subtitles:
This seems to be caused by:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/80fbc2e145f3d10e2d7cfb6a6ed60d6c20c94974

I informed the developer and asked what he thinks it could be. I reverted this patch and everything was fine again. Looks like a malloc is going wrong. We will see.

As for other stability issues the last days we are making good progress. Old stability should be back soon.

Update: Subtitles should be fixed with the next packages after we will do a rebase with mainline. It was introduced into mainline but already fixed there (thx @ davilla)

- andreh - 2012-01-15

Hi!

First of all: Thank you very much for your work on XBMC and XVBA. I have been following this topic for quite a while now and set up a HTPC a couple of weeks ago:
- ASUS E45M1-I Deluxe
- Xubuntu 11.10
- fglrx 11.12
- wsnipex latest package with XVBA enabled

Everything works quite fine except for one nasty bug:
Every now and then while playing some movie (doesn't matter if it is HD or SD) the screen just freezes and the only option I have is to ssh into the PC and issue a reboot. This usually happens around 1 hour of playback, but it is generally random. I've written down the interesting part of the syslog here:
http://pastebin.com/GSei4uu1

The XBMC log that belongs to the crash can be seen here:
Code:
16:31:08 T:140296805041920 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete
16:31:08 T:140296805041920 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
16:31:46 T:140296830220032 WARNING: Previous line repeats 368 times.
16:31:46 T:140296830220032  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 23:37
16:31:46 T:140296805041920 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame

Since the bug happens in the fglrx module, I'd say this bug is definitive ATI/AMD-related. But the funny thing is that I can play every file in VLC media player just fine. No random crashes occur. Even hardware accelerated playback works there without any problems. But I'd really like to use XBMC.

So, any ideas? If you need more information, just ask.

Kind regards,
André

- fritsch - 2012-01-15

Do you have the complete xbmc.log? if possible with debugging turned on?

You can enable it through advancedsettings.xml so you do not have to see the overlay.

The next time it hangs. Please attach to the running xbmc.bin with gdb. We could see then if there are any processes that are waiting for another.

Thanks for your help.

# when it hangs
ps aux |grep xbmc.bin -> note the $pid
sudo gdb
set logging on log_for_fritsch.txt
attach $pid
thread apply all bt
quit
y

and post the found log.

- wsnipex - 2012-01-15

New Version available: xbmc - 2:11.0~git20120115.7ca0550-0ubuntu1~ppa1
- fixed subtitles
- hopefully fixed crashes related to xvba

CPU usage differences - flitter2009 - 2012-01-16

Hi!

This is a great change ... it's behaving so much better that VAAPI on my system here! Thanks for providing it!

I have a question - when i'm running 1080p H.264 content CPU usage is dropping to around 50% (of 200%) but when it's running 1080p VC-1 content the usage is up around 170% (which is what I get without accelleration).

The logs imply to me that it's using the XVBA for VC-1 - is this an expected difference in CPU usage?

- wsnipex - 2012-01-16

I just tested VC-1 again and I get ~35% cpu load, while I have ~24% with h264. both 1080p.

flitter2009, can you please post a full debug.log?

- andreh - 2012-01-16

Hi!

Another fglrx crash happened while watching a movie in HD quality after around 1 hour. The syslog can be seen in my previous post since the error remains the same.
I tried to attach to XBMC, but it doesn't seem to work. I only get "Attaching to process 3664" and then nothing...
The last lines of the XBMC debug log are attached but from the look of it it doesn't seem to contain useful information about the crash:
Code:
21:48:55 T:140613731215104 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:48:55 T:140613731215104   ERROR: GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: -32 - Broken pipe
21:53:14 T:140614024861440    INFO: EpgContainer - RemoveOldEntries - removing old EPG entries

I think this crash is probably not XBMC related because IMHO an application should not be able to crash a kernel module. So I guess I should file a bug report with ATI/AMD?

Kind regards,
André

- fritsch - 2012-01-16

You can try to fully run in the debugger, meaning start xbmc.bin out of it. It might hang earlier, but you could have luck :-)
Same steps as before, only replace the attach command with run and ommit the pid. Where is your movie source? network?

Please disable UPNP if it is still enabled for now.

Edit: Did you upgrade your packages yesterday night? We fixed some bugs and segfaults.
Edit2: Could you check the temperature for you card (though not likely, but to be sure)

- flitter2009 - 2012-01-16

Thanks for your help. My account doesn't seem to be able to post attachments ... is there some other way?

- wsnipex - 2012-01-16

Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
pastebinit ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

@andreh: please make sure you run the latest verion, if you still have crashes, please post a debug.log too