Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - pvautrin - 2013-07-25

fritsch, feel free to ping Christian about UVD <=2 Wink
Last feedback from him was a month ago
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?79727-Radeon-UVD-Support-Merged-Into-Mesa&p=338899#post338899

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-25

You are welcome to do it :-)

I think I stop doing AMDs job for now.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-07-25

As I am switching to nvidia now (even though I have a nvidia box before) I wonder if someone can recommend what version of drivers and a 'correct' x conf for the normal 23.97 and 24 fps?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-25

Just join #xbmc-xvba (we are all on nvidia - if not switched to intel yet ;-))

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-07-25

is it haswell that you are moving to or sticking with ivy bridge that supposedly can't do 23.97?

I got it out of both - no idea, what the most people are talking about :-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Morrtin - 2013-07-25

Hope I don't lean to wide out of the window but fritsch also got 23.97 running on my sandy bridge :-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-07-26

Sandy Bridge is unable to produce 23.976. Even if you tell it to output 23.976 (as the driver says it can) it will output 24.000.
Ivy Bridge originally only gave 23.973 but a bios fixed it later in Intel mobo's. (could be fixed in other manufacturers mobo's as well)

Or did I get that wrong?

Is there a downside to running intel instead of nvidia? Like does it miss some features needed for certain decodings etc? Or would a machine like this be perfect?.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-26

Elupus has brute forced some valid modelines a long time ago, here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Xorg_Modelines and Morrtin has found some others, that are compatible with his TV and his SNB.

Like in everything: Don't tune things, if you don't see the issue, e.g. stuttering. Some problems are hyped. From > 2 years xbmc I pretty know, that most of the people never use Adjust Refreshrate to match video - they just watch everything on 60hz and find it brilliant.

From a sidenote: We are currently implementing "resampling quality levels". I took great care, that the "High Value" also can be seen with additional CPU (not to programm it slower, but i think 99.9995% can't hear the difference between high and Normal anyways) - cause some people don't hear a thing, but think: "If the cpu goes up, it must be higher quality" :-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - devil103 - 2013-07-29

I'm experiencing a serious issue with my xbmc-xvba testing build.
Every ten minutes or so the screen goes black. But I don't think it's a crash as such because when I simply press any button on the remote the screen comes back with the video still playing.

I'm more suspecting X server or some strange 'screensaver' setting even though it's a headless Ubuntu precise system.
Since XBMC is not crashing there is no crash log.

Any ideas?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - noopiex - 2013-07-29

(2013-07-29, 17:54)devil103 Wrote: I'm experiencing a serious issue with my xbmc-xvba testing build.
Every ten minutes or so the screen goes black. But I don't think it's a crash as such because when I simply press any button on the remote the screen comes back with the video still playing.

I'm more suspecting X server or some strange 'screensaver' setting even though it's a headless Ubuntu precise system.
Since XBMC is not crashing there is no crash log.

Any ideas?

Have/had the same issue, at times even 3 or 4 in a row (VERY annoying). What may have fixed it or me, or at least made it a lot better is adding the following ServerFlags to my xorg.conf file:
I got this issue after updating to the latest AMD drivers. Sad because everything was working smooth already.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "BlankTime" "0"
        Option      "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option      "OffTime" "0"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

And the same DPMS "true" to my TV screen's section.

Off topic yet on topic: Sad to see development is not having any progress due to AMD being reluctant... Sad

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Jooccer - 2013-07-29

Hi,

I have an old Motherboard, Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H with 780G Chipsatz, this have a HD3200 integrated. I have Linux Mint 15 64Bit installed. Now, I need a AMD Driver? And what ist right PPA Setting for XBMC Installation?

the answer of "inxi -G" is

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1

"fglrxinfo" gives no information, not existent

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - devil103 - 2013-07-29

Great! I'll try it right away.
I agree now, but now that AMD UVD has been released into the open source community I think we're very near to running vdpau and we don't have to rely on the closed source random updates from AMD. Too bad for all this great work on xvba though.

I remember buying my AMD E350 APU a week after the first topic about AMD and VA-API and the little board has served me well ever since

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-07-29

Quote: I think we're very near to running vdpau

Don't invest into AMD until you know this for sure. They have a long long way to go until this will be consumable. Important features like deinterlacing or interoperation to OpenGL are still missing. Not even the basics do work properly. You know the 80/20 rule? You need 20% of the time for making 80% work. Means 80% of the effort is still to be done. Lets hope that this project does not follow fglrx and gets finished.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-07-30

(2013-07-29, 22:16)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote: I think we're very near to running vdpau

Don't invest into AMD until you know this for sure. They have a long long way to go until this will be consumable. Important features like deinterlacing or interoperation to OpenGL are still missing. Not even the basics do work properly. You know the 80/20 rule? You need 20% of the time for making 80% work. Means 80% of the effort is still to be done. Lets hope that this project does not follow fglrx and gets finished.
It will be fixed as it is an integral part of their strategy (run everything on a GPU and let a ARm/x86 CPU be an assistant of this GPU). How do you think they convinced Microsoft and Sony to make consoles with APU's?

AMD is great on Windows but also showing they are really serious on OSS with opening UVD, OSS'ing lots of dev tools for HSA and HUMA. Driver development however, isn't great. But if you don't use live-tv, even on Linux I don't experience problems. Compressed 5.1 audio is good enough for me.