Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - devil103 - 2013-07-30

(2013-07-29, 19:19)noopiex Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 17:54)devil103 Wrote: I'm experiencing a serious issue with my xbmc-xvba testing build.
Every ten minutes or so the screen goes black. But I don't think it's a crash as such because when I simply press any button on the remote the screen comes back with the video still playing.

I'm more suspecting X server or some strange 'screensaver' setting even though it's a headless Ubuntu precise system.
Since XBMC is not crashing there is no crash log.

Any ideas?

Have/had the same issue, at times even 3 or 4 in a row (VERY annoying). What may have fixed it or me, or at least made it a lot better is adding the following ServerFlags to my xorg.conf file:
I got this issue after updating to the latest AMD drivers. Sad because everything was working smooth already.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "BlankTime" "0"
        Option      "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option      "OffTime" "0"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

And the same DPMS "true" to my TV screen's section.

Off topic yet on topic: Sad to see development is not having any progress due to AMD being reluctant... Sad

(2013-07-29, 22:16)FernetMenta Wrote:
Quote: I think we're very near to running vdpau

Don't invest into AMD until you know this for sure. They have a long long way to go until this will be consumable. Important features like deinterlacing or interoperation to OpenGL are still missing. Not even the basics do work properly. You know the 80/20 rule? You need 20% of the time for making 80% work. Means 80% of the effort is still to be done. Lets hope that this project does not follow fglrx and gets finished.

True, I remember I got the AMD E-350 because Asus had a motherboard which was passively cooled and very power efficient.
And with one mini-ITX board and 2 harddisks I had everything I need for a very compact and quiet mediacenter/server
Don't know if I found anything Intel/NVidia that came close to this at the time or if they do now...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Spekkie - 2013-07-30

(2013-07-29, 19:19)noopiex Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 17:54)devil103 Wrote: I'm experiencing a serious issue with my xbmc-xvba testing build.
Every ten minutes or so the screen goes black. But I don't think it's a crash as such because when I simply press any button on the remote the screen comes back with the video still playing.

I'm more suspecting X server or some strange 'screensaver' setting even though it's a headless Ubuntu precise system.
Since XBMC is not crashing there is no crash log.

Any ideas?

Have/had the same issue, at times even 3 or 4 in a row (VERY annoying). What may have fixed it or me, or at least made it a lot better is adding the following ServerFlags to my xorg.conf file:
I got this issue after updating to the latest AMD drivers. Sad because everything was working smooth already.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "BlankTime" "0"
        Option      "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option      "OffTime" "0"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

And the same DPMS "true" to my TV screen's section.

Off topic yet on topic: Sad to see development is not having any progress due to AMD being reluctant... Sad

Well I had this problem too.
I'm running XBMC as DE and this behavior only happens if XBMC runs in windowed mode... I didn't realy notice at first since this would only result in a black bar at the right side of the screen...
Maybe this does the trick for you too... BTW the shortcut for toggeling between windowed and full screen mode is "\"

(2013-07-30, 22:08)nickr Wrote: No, "\"

Indeed I stand corrected as I figured out just yet...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-07-30

No, "\"

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - blm14 - 2013-08-03

I just upgraded from the frodo PPA to the git PPA, and now sound is not working.

I started with the frodo XBMC-live .ISO

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$ uname -a
Linux xbmc-GA-E350N 3.5.0-28-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 23 23:05:48 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

And am running 13.0-ALPHA5 Git:9372af7

Full log from boot to play is here: http://pastebin.com/wsdutTMd

When I go to system -> system -> audio, I only see:

- Audio Output
- Speaker Configuration
- Play GUI sounds

All of the passthrough stuff is missing. When I try and play any file, I get no audio, and any attempts to adjust volume in XBMC result in a "passthrough device in use" message. I am using HDMI to my TV, and audio worked fine under the frodo builld. The machine is an AMD E350 integrated FPU motherboard which I built myself.

Am i going to have to downgrade back to frodo? Sad

Edit: here is output from aplay:

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$

Strangely, I went back to frodo and audio STILL didn't work. So I removed pulse and now at least sound is working in frodo. Any ideas why half the audio options would disappear under the git one?

Even more strangeness. With pulse removed, I re-added ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba, reinstalled the git version, and now audio is working although all the audio options are still missing from system->system->audio

Curious!

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ursli - 2013-08-03

Audio options are missing because of the new way all the options are handled, by default you're in "beginner" mode (at least I think thats what it's called can't remember exactly), if you're using confluence go into the audio options, press "left" so you open the slider menu and switch to "expert". After that all the setup options should be back, if you don't run confluence you need to switch to it to unlock the expert options, afterwards go back to your usual skin.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-08-03

I think the default is called "idiot" mode Smile

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-08-03

(2013-08-03, 05:16)nickr Wrote: I think the default is called "idiot" mode Smile

now vote if "idiot" should refer to the mode itself or the users Smile

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-08-03

(2013-08-03, 09:19)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2013-08-03, 05:16)nickr Wrote: I think the default is called "idiot" mode Smile

now vote if "idiot" should refer to the mode itself or the users Smile
That's a tricky one...

Maybe to both? Smile It's weird though that all of the sudden using pulse would break it, but I've had a ton of bad experiences with pulse anyways, and I'm running XBMC in standalone, so I never use this machine for anything else. Bye bye pulse, I won't miss you

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - disp - 2013-08-03

I'm using AMD E-450 with the latest ATI driver (amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1).
My problem is that in the XBMC menus my CPU is getting 90-100% load.
720p video playback seems to be ok at around 25%.

Although it's very snappy and doesn't lag - is there anything I can do to improve the menu performance/load?

Maybe a lighter theme? I'm using the default confluence theme.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-08-04

yes, you could read the thread. e.g. here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996&page=243 and obviously the first post.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - kamelotepica - 2013-08-04

He guy's .

I got a quick question . I bought a nvidia 610 card yesterday and i wandering if i still need to use the xvba build or i can go back to the normal xbmc for processing on the Gpu ?

Greetz kam

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-08-04

You have more fun with your NVidia card using this version.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - kamelotepica - 2013-08-04

(2013-08-04, 10:51)FernetMenta Wrote: You have more fun with your NVidia card using this version.

May i ask what you mean by more fun ?