Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - lameduse - 2013-09-01

Hi,
For several weeks I am fighting with my E45M1 to have it working with Ubuntu 13.04...
3.8.0-29-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 13 19:40:39 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I also installed xbmc, following the guide given in this forum.
XBMC was working, but the PC was crashing randomly within xmbc or just using other desktop application.
I found that compiz was not helping having a stable desktop situation, so I removed it.
The PC was more stable but still, XBMC and other application were having crash problems, each time it was like a video buffer corruption, some strange artefacts were displayed, upto the moment of a system crash (more exactly a system hang).
I figured out that my radeon driver must be the problem. So I decided to jump and try catalyst 13.8.
After installation, the system is stable.
I can use many applications, VLC for instance works fine now, as well as kazam and skype.
But XBMC is now crashing just after launching.
I activated the log, but the logfile is empty.
I think it must be again a problem with some driver, maybe a compatibility problem....
So I removed XBMC (apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin)
and redo an installation following this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

But still crash.
When it crashes, the PC reboots directly after launching XBMC.

What can I do to?
And more important, how did you do that:
(2013-08-08, 22:23)fritsch Wrote: I used the E45M1 for all my testing / developing of XVBA and from that I know, it should work quite well :-)

I can reinstall my whole system if necessary, I just want something working...

Thank you in advance for help and time.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-01

Follow the howto from the first thread. Use 12.10 64 bit and install fglrx from the Repository (sudo apt-get install fglrx). That's basically it.

PS: Try to link the Debug Log

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - muldereric - 2013-09-01

About a week ago I reinstalled XBMCBuntu on my computer and followed the instruction to be able to use Xvba on my machine for smooth playback and everything.
This all worked fine for me, but I noticed that I did not pick the alternative method at step 3, therefore running the new Alpha release now.
When I pause a movie, I noticed that the image as shown on the screen stretches beyond the visible part of the screen, though I "calibrated" the boundaries after installing. As a result, the playback buttons are partially "falling of the screen".
Has anyone else had this or knows a solution for this?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-09-01

don't use screen calibration in xbmc, instead use amdconfig/aticonfig to disable underscan:

run this from ssh or a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1]
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo service lightdm start

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - lameduse - 2013-09-01

Ok
So I'll install 12.10.
Just to know, does that mean Ubuntu 13.04 + fglrx 13.8 does not work ?

About log:
I tried to activate the log in ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
with
<advancedsettings><loglevel>2</loglevel></advancedsettings>
but I receive an empty file:
# ls ~/.xbmc/temp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 0 sept. 1 12:55 xbmc.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 0 sept. 1 12:28 xbmc.old.log

Thank you for this fast answer.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-01

Quote:Just to know, does that mean Ubuntu 13.04 + fglrx 13.8 does not work ?

Every driver since Catalyst 12.10 was bad and worse. Only driver since than "partially" working with manual patching: 13.6.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-09-01

Ubuntu 13.04 + fglrx 13.8 will not work. The latest working version is Ubuntu 12.10 with it's own driver.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ursli - 2013-09-05

After updating to latest xvba-testing (13.0~git20130905.0500-75d2a23-0quantal) to fix this problem I've noticed that I've got trouble with audio initialisation on LiveTV, at least I think that's what it is. If I press play there is no audio for a good 5 seconds and the picture is playing back at 10 fps for that amount of time, once audio plays picture recovers. I don't have these problems on LiveTV recordings or files in my library. I came from 13.0~git20130815.0500-36da37f-0quantal where everything works as expected.

Debug Log with those actions taken:

Starting xbmc - switching to LiveTV - playing back channel - stopping - switching to recordings - playing back recording - stopping

LiveTV -> no audio for 5+ seconds choppy video until audio recovers
Recording -> instant audio and video

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=55279 (starting livetv at 19:50:42)

Not exactly sure where this should go, it may be a vnsi problem or something with ActiveAE. Any help would be appreciated.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-09-05

Does this happen every time you start live tv? I can't reproduce.

Every time I start any LiveTV channel. It seems to be more pronounced with channels using AC3 sound, it is also there with mpeg2 but not as long it seems.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-09-05

you have those in the log: ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
indicating an issue with ActiveAE. interestingly it recovers without any additional log.
Could you post a log where you start tv 10 times. Maybe I can find a pattern. Your audio settings would be of interest too.

AW: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - raki - 2013-09-05

This problem sounds familiar, I think I have the same one. Gonna try reproducing it tomorrow!

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=55320 there you go, starting and stopping TV 10 times. (Wasn't sure if you wanted different channels, I kept using the same 4)

Audio Settings: (I've tried to sync to Video with drop/dupe audio, same result)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-09-06

I have an idea: pvr continuously calls pause on audio while buffering. we end up having quite many of those messages in the queue. I will push a fix this evening.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ursli - 2013-09-07

That fixed it indeed, just had a go on latest xvba-testing. Feels even faster now then before the problem turned up, thanks a lot. Smile