Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-09-20

(2013-09-20, 16:01)fritsch Wrote: You won't get any support for any binary fglrx blob from me anymore. I am fed up - I wasted 2 years in keeping a broken thingy alive.

Three days ago we got into a heavy technical clinch with the OSS people and three days after the technical difficulties were discussed and solved. This is the way I want to work, not as it was before. Check this thread, scan the monthly fglrx releases and see the users, that were annoyed, dissatisfied and so on.

xvba-sdk is complete the same story. We even had to make it threadsafe in the beginning ... and it was never touched at all.

Grats for you too than; seems really frustrating to voluntarily do work related to such PITA. Amazing, you kept pushing for 2 years!

I guess this work won't be merged into mainline then..

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-20

I compiled mesa for my system and gl interop is working:

1080i50 still needs a little bit of optimization. But 720p50, 1080p24 are really running great.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-09-20

(2013-09-20, 18:23)fritsch Wrote: I compiled mesa for my system and gl interop is working:

1080i50 still needs a little bit of optimization. But 720p50, 1080p24 are really running great.

What's your system?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - docholiday - 2013-09-20

(2013-09-20, 18:23)fritsch Wrote: I compiled mesa for my system and gl interop is working:

Apologies for my ignorance, but will this driver be merged into the next OpenELEC? Or is this something that will need to be developed for a few more months?

I'm doing alright with my A6-3500 with stock drivers, but I'm merely curious.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-20

That driver has nothing to do with OpenELEC. OpenELEC uses this XVBA code from this thread here.

The last posts were about the OSS vdpau, which does not use the proprietary fglrx driver at all.

What I forgot above: Nice mpeg-2 decoding now also works ;-)
This system is a Zotac AD10 - so pretty slow system, but running nicely.

Great! Don't forget to mention the HDAudio ;-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - muldereric - 2013-09-20

(2013-09-01, 18:20)wsnipex Wrote: don't use screen calibration in xbmc, instead use amdconfig/aticonfig to disable underscan:

run this from ssh or a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1]
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo service lightdm start
To make sure I did not mess anything up, I reinstalled my htpc but this time used the stable version instead of the tested git ones you mention at the beginning of this topic.
I executed the steps you mention above, but still I am suffering from underscan (is that the name for an image that seems to be larger then the screens resolution?). Should I use the xbmc calibration tool now or should I fix this in a different way? You mentioned not to use the screen calibration of xbmc, but now I don't know what to do :S

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-09-20

what you see is overscan. You need to turn it off in your TV or revert the setting from above.

23:57 < agd5f> if anyone wants to fix up the HDA audio driver to properly
support multi-channel pcm, I finally got the ok to release the
vendor specific verb info:
http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/AMD_HDA_verbs.pdf
23:57 < agd5f> for HDMI/DP audio

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - deadite66 - 2013-09-21

all working smoothly now with OSS vdpau, gl interop and 'NUM_RENDER_PICS 5'
great work to everyone involved.

now if only ubuntu compiled mesa with vdpau, i could use oibaf but doesn't support saucy yet.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-21

You can easily recompile and just add the patches.

Btw. did you find the render pics workaround on phoronix? :-) I always wonder how fast such information spreads.

You can join #xbmc-xvba and I can show you how to do.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - deadite66 - 2013-09-21

yes i saw your post on phoronix Smile

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - l00p - 2013-09-21

Hi Guys,

Usually I am just a reader due to a lack of time, working every day quite long thus there is not much time to post in forums and play with private Linux boxes.
Just have a couple of questions since I am running actually still Radeon 12.10 / AMD 350 which not working well with steam, on Ubuntu 12.04 with Frodo XVBA stable.

Options:

1. Radeon 13.9 which has still a memory leak for steam games, but in Oktober an update drived will be relased... maybe....
Honestly I don't trust anymore AMD since their lasted Radeon Linux drivers are a pain in the ...

2. Use the AMD OSS patched Driver

Need I re-compile my kernel, or can I simple just add a ppa repo of git source , any instrcutions hear.
Will it work at all with Frodo XVBA stable?
I guess steam won't work well with the OSS driver, but steam rather a nice to have feature...
Any instructions available?

A few years a ago I was playing ( frickeling) with private Linux boxes a lot, but my wife get to kill me, if I spend hours before a screen after work. Wink
I am getting older and sitting 12 and more hours before a screen is a kinda un-healthy. Wink

Thus any suggestions are appreciated, thnaks in advance.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-09-21

Wait until tomorrow.

We currently work out the LPCM stuff and when that is done, we can think of easy providing a ppa to get it running. That won't solve the general problem with your wife, but it can improve other things.

I know someone, that has proven to be able to package everything during the years and I will ask him :-)

@wsnipex: ping ;-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - l00p - 2013-09-21

well this sound great, tomorrow have a few hours to play with a shell.
Thanks a lot to you and wnsipex to contribute that much for the Linux part, I won't run an HTPC on Windows.

Is there any way to donate directly to you or to the XVBA team?