Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

Catalyst 12.1 - grad - 2012-01-28

Out of curiosity (and because I don't want this great thread to die :o): has anyone tried the new Catalyst 12.1 driver with xbmc-xvba? Is there a real benefit to be gained from updating?

- fritsch - 2012-01-28

In short: no.

The last really good working driver on all platforms is catalyst 11.11. But we had pretty good results with 11.12 in using only xvba, too.

The new 12.1 crashed two times for me the last days - so I reverted back to 11.11. But staying with 11.12, if it is without problems for you, I would suggest.

- wsnipex - 2012-01-28

New version available: xbmc - 2:11.0~git20120128.4bf8428-0ubuntu1~ppa1
- merged upstream changes
- fixed race condition in StopThread, fixes random segfaults

- wsnipex - 2012-01-28

fritsch Wrote:In short: no.

The last really good working driver on all platforms is catalyst 11.11. But we had pretty good results with 11.12 in using only xvba, too.

The new 12.1 crashed two times for me the last days - so I reverted back to 11.11. But staying with 11.12, if it is without problems for you, I would suggest.

those crashed might not have been fglrx related, we hope they are fixed in the latest xbmc xvba package.

Running fglrx 12.1 here, but makes no difference from xvba point of view. For desktop purposes 12.1 seems to be a improvement though.

- newphreak - 2012-01-29

I have the same experience as wsnipex. I don't see any benefits, but there is no regressions either. It works just as good as the rest.

- grad - 2012-01-30

wsnipex Wrote:those crashed might not have been fglrx related, we hope they are fixed in the latest xbmc xvba package.

Running fglrx 12.1 here, but makes no difference from xvba point of view. For desktop purposes 12.1 seems to be a improvement though.

@fritsch,wsnipex: thanks for the feedback. I did try 12.1 briefly last week, but got one mysterious hang and, what was worse, kind of a messup with my audio settings. Suddenly there were other and I think even more audio devices listed in System -> Audio. When I reverted to 11.1, those new options remained. aplay -l/-L had not changed at all. And suddenly the digital passthrough stopped working, ie Pl-II and Dolby encoding wasn't properly detected anymore. I drilled down to the iecset tool, and the AES settings which xbmc seems to apply implicitly. Lucky for me that I found an older xbmc.log from which I could extract the exact alsa device spec which I could then put back into guisettings.xml. It seems to work now. I know that this is very FUDy and vague, but it's what I experienced and I wanted to share it.

- Devil-Strike - 2012-01-30

catalyst 12.1 is working perfect here, with ubuntu and xbmc xvba build.

- Beninho - 2012-01-30

I use a asus 350e Fusion with ubuntun 11.10 64 bit with 8gb ddr3
With playback of h264 video's I always see horizontal lines. I already bough a new HDMI cable because I thought it was caused be the hdmi cable.

Is this a known problem with the fusion system?

- .:B:. - 2012-01-30

You mean tearing? Try enabling vsync in Xbmc.

- fritsch - 2012-01-30

Beninho Wrote:I use a asus 350e Fusion and with playback i alwys so horizontal lines when there is a lot of activity in de video I watch.

Is the a know problem?

Hi,

this problem is not known yet and also not E350 specific. I have two of them and could not see these effects.

Does it happen with a specific movie you are trying?
Could you provide xbmc.log with debugging turned on?

And as a last help, if this is possible: If you can film these effects with your handy camera, we get an idea on how it is looking.

Thx for your help

Update: Totally misread your text. Mixed in the word "green" and read vertical for horizontal :-)

.:B:. is right: This looks like tearing.

- Beninho - 2012-01-30

fritsch Wrote:Hi,

this problem is not known yet and also not E350 specific. I have two of them and could not see these effects.

Does it happen with a specific movie you are trying?
Could you provide xbmc.log with debugging turned on?

And as a last help, if this is possible: If you can film these effects with your handy camera, we get an idea on how it is looking.

Thx for your help

Update: Totally misread your text. Mixed in the word "green" and read vertical for horizontal :-)

.:B:. is right: This looks like tearing.

yes, it sure is tearing. I'll try V-sync

any recommendations for the method of V-sync?

Should de-interlace be enabled too?

- fritsch - 2012-01-30

Nope, just set vsync: always enabled.

You find it in: System -> Settings -> System -> Video Output: Vertical blank sync: Always enabled.

Deinterlace is another thing to get interlaced-half-pictures back into full pictures. You should leave this setting to Auto.

- xclusiv - 2012-01-30

Hi guys,

First of all: many thanks for your work.

I'm using it with 12.1 driver (ati 5450 with a panny plasma via hdmi), because 11.11 make a big mistake, I think with screensaver or locked screen. The result is only blank blank screen, no password window or anything, the only option is restart from ssh. But 12.1 seems pretty stable for me.

And I have a question: a guy wrote on another forum there is xvba support in Eden beta 2 and seems stable. Is it your work merged to the upstream?

- FernetMenta - 2012-01-30

XBMC Eden supports xvba through vaapi. Due to a couple of problems we started to try direct support for xvba which is the topic of this thread. This work is still experimental (although it seems to work better than vaapi/xvba) and won't make it into the Eden release.

- abudabi - 2012-01-31

xclusiv Wrote:The result is only blank blank screen, no password window or anything, the only option is restart from ssh.

Hmm.. I've been having this the last few days too. Just a black screen and nothing can "wake" it up. This happens especially if I leave it overnight.

Is it the same for you?