Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

- m.bluemle - 2012-01-31

@FernetMenta
i tried the new eden beta (the first one) and with vaapi i didn´t have a smooth 1080p playback!
with this xbmc build i´ve no problems! everything plays without any judder!
it works better (for me) than vaapi/xvba!!!

- grad - 2012-01-31

grad Wrote:I did try 12.1 briefly last week, but got one mysterious hang and, what was worse, kind of a messup with my audio settings.

Just to not leave any FUD lying around: i upgraded to the latest xbmc and catalyst 12.1 and everything seems to be working fine (mpeg2, xvid, h.264, and sound).

- grad - 2012-01-31

FernetMenta Wrote:XBMC Eden supports xvba through vaapi. Due to a couple of problems we started to try direct support for xvba which is the topic of this thread. This work is still experimental (although it seems to work better than vaapi/xvba) and won't make it into the Eden release.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Earlier in this thread we talked already about post-Eden development, and I'm sure you guys will try to merge xvba into the mainline at some point in time.

However: I would expect that once eden is out that there will be a maintenance branch for eden to further stabilize it for "consumers", while moving on with new features on the trunk. If so - is there a chance that you guys keep maintaining xvba for that stable branch as well?

As much as we all love features, we also have wifes/spouses who really love working systems, so being able to live on a stable branch would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Thanks again for your great work!

- fritsch - 2012-01-31

@grad: Spoken right.

On our plan is still mpeg-2 support. This bitstream support should be integrated into our code with managable effort - some (non working parts) are already finished.

The xvba patch at this current state is rather intrusive, it changes a lot in for example the LinuxGLRenderer, xbmc_ffmpeg_callbacks but the core parts are mostly "own files": XVBA.cpp, xvba_h264, xvba_vc1 and xvba_mpeg.

Okay. From my point of view i think it is doable to implement mpeg-2 first with the old codebase (current xvba), this patch should naturally work with eden2. This patch series could be extracted - as some guys have done it now for eden2 (without pvr). We wait for an libxvba update to be able to do this.

So in short: it should be possible to generate patches at a specific point, that apply to eden, work well and can be left in this state.

For longterm: Fernetmenta wants to rewrite xvba in order to get it better readable, maintainable and so getting the code more like a state machine should improve the situation.

For longer longterm: There are codecs only supported by UVD2, UVD3 (divx, xvid)

Don`t forget: xbmc does not merge working only code, but working, documented, well written code. The review and the merge will be kind of hard work.

- grad - 2012-01-31

fritsch Wrote:Don`t forget: xbmc does not merge working only code, but working, documented, well written code. The review and the merge will be kind of hard work.

Thanks for the update. I don't know the first thing about video decoding and the xbmc codebase, but as a professional (embedded sw) developer I'm not totally ignorant and may be able to help out with some formal parts of a review process. Let me know if you can use this kind of help.

- fritsch - 2012-01-31

grad Wrote:Thanks for the update. I don't know the first thing about video decoding and the xbmc codebase, but as a professional (embedded sw) developer I'm not totally ignorant and may be able to help out with some formal parts of a review process. Let me know if you can use this kind of help.

We will come back to you soon. For a first start, you can look at the xvba branch of Fernetmenta on github.

- abudabi - 2012-01-31

Came back tonight to another black screen. That's 3 nights in a row. I have now loaded catalyst drivers 11.11 to see if that makes any difference as I'm running an HD5450.

PS. This machine never goes into powersaving.. always active FWIW

EDIT: At least I hope it's 11.11... synaptic says 2:8.920. That the right one, isn't it?

- abudabi - 2012-01-31

Blegh.. still does it.. finished watching something and left it on the screen... I can see my Wall-E background but it's just frozen there. Last action seems to be the screensaver. I'm using the aeon mk3 skin if that means anything.. used to work ok.

Log is here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/824347/

Thanks

- fritsch - 2012-01-31

abudabi Wrote:http://paste.ubuntu.com/824347/

Does this also happen with the default confluence skin? Seem that the EPG thread does nothing, let`s see.

- vxrbats - 2012-02-01

Hi all, having a few issues with Audio on the XVBA build and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction (don't have access to the machine at the moment so if a full log is needed i'll post a new thread later)

I installed the latest ALSA drivers and saw posts advising that conflicts between pulseaudio and ALSA stop 5.1 sound working. Removing pulseaudio did the trick and now i have sound from all 5 speakers. The issue i now have is that trying to play 1080p film last night with DTS 5.1 audio, gave no audio output at all and when i tried to play a show that had worked previously, it had reverted back to 2.0.

Is there something obvious i'm missing here?

- wsnipex - 2012-02-01

vxrbats Wrote:Hi all, having a few issues with Audio on the XVBA build and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction (don't have access to the machine at the moment so if a full log is needed i'll post a new thread later)

I installed the latest ALSA drivers and saw posts advising that conflicts between pulseaudio and ALSA stop 5.1 sound working. Removing pulseaudio did the trick and now i have sound from all 5 speakers. The issue i now have is that trying to play 1080p film last night with DTS 5.1 audio, gave no audio output at all and when i tried to play a show that had worked previously, it had reverted back to 2.0.

Is there something obvious i'm missing here?

Check the audio settings in xbmc. Make sure you have 5.1 set for the speaker config.
Do you use passthrough? HDMI or SPDIF?
If you don't have a external amp that can decode DTS and AC3 you need to disable passthrough. You might also need to set a custom output device for it to work.
Post the output of aplay -l and aplay -L in case you don't get it to work.

- vxrbats - 2012-02-01

wsnipex Wrote:Check the audio settings in xbmc. Make sure you have 5.1 set for the speaker config.
Do you use passthrough? HDMI or SPDIF?
If you don't have a external amp that can decode DTS and AC3 you need to disable passthrough. You might also need to set a custom output device for it to work.
Post the output of aplay -l and aplay -L in case you don't get it to work.

Thanks for your reply, i don't have access to the machine atm so will have to post this later.

I'm using SPDIF and my TV shows play through AC3 in 5.1 fine. It's just DTS audio that seems to break it and plays everything through 2.0. Only way i found to fix it was to re-install/configure the ALSA driver and removing pulse audio again.

I haven't tried setting up a custom output device though so this will be my next step when i get in tonight, is there a good how to to follow for this anywhere? I want to be sure i do this right and you guys here seem to be the experts Smile

- m.bluemle - 2012-02-01

TV´s don´t work with DTS!!! They only make a passthrough with Dolby Digital/AC-3. I had the same problem!
Connect your XBMC-HTPC directly to your AV receiver!

- vxrbats - 2012-02-01

m.bluemle Wrote:TV´s don´t work with DTS!!! They only make a passthrough with Dolby Digital/AC-3. I had the same problem!
Connect your XBMC-HTPC directly to your AV receiver!

Sorry i should have said, SPDIF already goes directly to the receiver

- abudabi - 2012-02-01

fritsch Wrote:Does this also happen with the default confluence skin? Seem that the EPG thread does nothing, let`s see.

Changed to confluence and waited for screensaver to come up - Result fine
Changed to aeon skin and waited for screensaver to come up - Result fine
Stayed with aeon and went to movies -> File and left it in that screen - Result Crash
Changed to confluence skin and went to videos -> File and left it in that screen - Result fine

So looks like it's a skin issue when left in the file submenu

Will post in its forum

Thanks fritsch!