Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-04-29

@Baswazz:
Install the bootloader into /dev/sdb as grub and stuff are using UDEV it should not matter. It was the same for me with my setup. Just be sure to not install it on the usb stick.

The easiest way is to reinstall, if the installation is "as is" already successful, you can also chroot in and reinstall grub onto the other drive.

You can join #xbmc-xvba and we help you.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Baswazz - 2012-04-29

Owk thx, i go try it.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - disp - 2012-05-01

Has anyone upgraded their working system from the oneiric tutorial - 11.10 to 12.04 ? What do I need to consider, for example do I need to uninstall the ati drivers first?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-05-02

the upgrade should just work, ymmv though. No need to uninstall anything, but the ppa will be disabled by the upgrade, so you will need to add it again.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - disp - 2012-05-02

Sounds good, thank you for your work on this build.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - kaze - 2012-05-02

on E350, after upgrading to 12.04 and using latest amd drivers from ubuntu & xbmc-xvba branch, cpu load goes to 100% after 5 Minutes of idling
Any way to fix that? (11.12 drivers does not show such issue)
Thank you.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - CrazYoshi - 2012-05-02

Hi guys.
I have read the updated guide for ubuntu 12.04 and I see that is no more required to compile deb packages from ATI driver downloaded from the site.
Could you explain me why? Is it possible to continue to use the driver distributed from ATI through their website?
Thanks Big Grin

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - weemaaan - 2012-05-02

Hi, I've just done a fresh install following the guide but I can't find the .xbmc folder to add some bits to the user data folder. Has it's location changed. I've also noticed the setting for shared surfaces has disappeared is this meant to be correct. I'm using the Eden pvr ppa

Thanks

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-05-02

(2012-05-02, 17:30)CrazYoshi Wrote: Hi guys.
I have read the updated guide for ubuntu 12.04 and I see that is no more required to compile deb packages from ATI driver downloaded from the site.
Could you explain me why? Is it possible to continue to use the driver distributed from ATI through their website?
Thanks Big Grin

ubuntu 12.04 provides the (as of now) latest catalyst driver, but you can still install manually from the AMD site
(2012-05-02, 17:30)weemaaan Wrote: Hi, I've just done a fresh install following the guide but I can't find the .xbmc folder to add some bits to the user data folder. Has it's location changed. I've also noticed the setting for shared surfaces has disappeared is this meant to be correct. I'm using the Eden pvr ppa

Thanks

try:
Code:
cd ~
ls -la .xbmc

note: for this folder to exist, you must have started xbmc at least once

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Frederik - 2012-05-02

Hi!

Just found your PPA and was so happy to find a version with PVR+XVBA, thank you very much for your work!

I am just unsure if XVBA does actually work on my machine. The CPU usage still seems to be quite high during HD video playback, and playback seemed to be a bit laggy. I found some XVBA related messages in the log, but was not sure if they meant good or bad.

So how can I verify hardware decoding works? (And: How to I check which h264 version a video uses?)

Thanks!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-05-02

@Frederik:
press the "o" key and see what codec is chosen. Something with "xvba" in its name should be appearing. Make sure that you have done the settings mentioned in Step 8.

@weemaaan:
in deed during that time within the howto there is still no .xbmc directory. Create both directories with your xbmc user to get the permissions right (meaning: without sudo).

Code:
mkdir /home/xbmc/.xbmc
mkdir /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Frederik - 2012-05-02

@fritsch: Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am seeing "dc:ff-h264-xvba" in the output. And I double-checked the settings from Step 8. Still, I am having about 115% CPU usage. Undecided

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-05-02

@Frederik:
Please reboot. That looks like another process running amok :-). You can check with "top" from the commandline.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - kaze - 2012-05-02

(2012-05-02, 20:47)Frederik Wrote: @fritsch: Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am seeing "dc:ff-h264-xvba" in the output. And I double-checked the settings from Step 8. Still, I am having about 115% CPU usage. Undecided

Are you using latest catalyst? I am gettin 100% CPU Load with latest amd drivers that are in 12.04, try using 11.12 drivers version.

@fritsch: I tried twice, and checked with htop that it is xbmc that is taking the CPU. And CPU usage goes down when I stop video playback.

@kaze: Yes, I had installed latest catalyst from the AMD website. Now I installed 11.12, and indeed, CPU usage is down to around 20%. Great! Thank you very much for this valuable hint!