Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

some files wont play - ladesso - 2011-12-22

Great work.

I followed the installation tip and everything worked, but I still have some problem.
I read this post to find help but I cannot resolve.

Some files just wont play with xbmc 11.0
I tried to install the stable 10.1 from the official ppa and the avi play smooth, but I loose the acceleration and so I cannot play the HD avi.
In any build I tried (different va-api, this xbva) the xbmc just crash and restart.

Here the pastebin for the crash log
http://paste.ubuntu.com/778043/

and the mediainfo of the avi
http://paste.ubuntu.com/778044/

I hope someone can help me since the last files I dwnloaded seems to crash.

- pjohn07 - 2011-12-22

I'm getting a whole lot of artifacts when playing certain 1080p h264 files.

Admittedly, the 1 1080p file I tried from h264info.com worked well (The avengers Smile )

Let me preface this by saying that i've been reading through this thread and there is a lot I don't know/understand.

I followed the instructions from page 1. I enabled tearfree in CCC, and set V sync to always on in XBMC -> system -> setting -> video output.

I have a few questions:

1. By choosing ubuntu-2D from the greeter screen, I am turning off shaded surfaces/compiz? Everyone says to turns that off, but unsure exactly how Smile

2. How can I tell if a file is encoded with H264 >= 5.1?

Here is a mediainfo pastebin and a pic of the garbled 1080p H264 file i'm trying to play. This shot is supposed to show a bunch of migrating birds. Smile

http://pastebin.com/PrgQ0cSe

- fritsch - 2011-12-22

@pjohn07:
From your pastebin:
Format profile : [email protected]

Sorry, xvba (on the AMD side) does not support a level > 4.1. Sometimes you can be lucky, if the bitrate is rather low, that it works, but in general it does not. AMD is working on this ™.

Yes, you have to disable compiz in order to get it running smoothly, so the 2D Session should be fine.

- fritsch - 2011-12-22

ladesso Wrote:I hope someone can help me since the last files I dwnloaded seems to crash.

Hi. Your crash seems not xvba dependend. Looks like extraction of an rar file throws an error. There was a fix approx one week ago in the mainline git. I do not know, if this went into our branch.

Update: Already is applied in our branch, looked through git annotate. So Filing a bug at trac.xbmc.org would be a good idea.

rar://%2fhome%2fxbmc%2fVideos%2fluca%2fhan2%2epart001%2erar/ <- could you try to move this rar file out of the way? Thx for your pastebin.

From your codec pastebin
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5

This seems to be standard xvid codec. So no xvba is used here. Crash not xvba dependend.

- ladesso - 2011-12-22

fritsch Wrote:rar://%2fhome%2fxbmc%2fVideos%2fluca%2fhan2%2epart001%2erar/ <- could you try to move this rar file out of the way? Thx for your pastebin.

Ok, I moved the avi I want to play in another directory and it works, so it was just a rar problem.

Thank you for you help.

Different Resolutions for menu and fullscreen - grad - 2011-12-22

Now that mode switching works like a charm - is there any possibilty to have a different resolution for the menu and fullscreen mode? The menu seems to perform much better with 720p while I would like to watch movies with 1080p, primarily to be able to make use of my LCD's 24p mode.

- wsnipex - 2011-12-22

grad Wrote:Now that mode switching works like a charm - is there any possibilty to have a different resolution for the menu and fullscreen mode? The menu seems to perform much better with 720p while I would like to watch movies with 1080p, primarily to be able to make use of my LCD's 24p mode.

afaik this is not possible.

- grad - 2011-12-22

wsnipex Wrote:afaik this is not possible.

Allright thanks for the feedback. To whom it may concern, I've added a feature request for this, as I find this very desirable.

- wsnipex - 2011-12-23

here is our X-mas release for you guys.

Changelog:
- fixed: GUI garbage
- new(experimental): sync playback to display works without tearfree
- CEC support (cannot test, please report if it works)

- pjohn07 - 2011-12-23

Thanks wsnipex! Just saw the new packages come over the wire. I assume if I alredy have tear free enabled, that I should just let it be. The noob in me doesn't even know what CEC is!

- fritsch - 2011-12-23

Tearfree can be a false friend.

It should be enough to enable vsync in xbmc and enable the newly "Sync playback to display" option in the settings. Fernetmenta developed a workaround for the not correctly working fglrx with a high precission timer.

So if there are issues, especially in 24p videos. please describe what you see. You can press the "o" key and give us the a/v, error, missed, etc. values. This new workaround is a kind of generic idea to solve these problems with video/ audio out of sync and is fglrx / xvba independet.

- .:B:. - 2011-12-24

Guys, this is exciting stuff. I have a HD6950 and I would like to give this a shot; however, I'm not running Ubuntu.

Is there a way to obtain patches that can be applied against the main GIT tree? Or do I just pull the complete source from the Github project page?

I noticed a tarball from there is like 55 MB, I remember SVN checkouts being huge (hundreds of MB afaik?), so would this be a complete tree I'm pulling?

If you have patches, I'd prefer those Smile.

- grad - 2011-12-24

fritsch Wrote:So if there are issues, especially in 24p videos. please describe what you see. You can press the "o" key and give us the a/v, error, missed, etc. values.

For me it works very well, but in 24p the missed counter is still increasing. Albeit not as fast as with the previous version and tearfree. The movie starts off with an initial missed counter of 74 and then I get about 60 misses per minute. However, the video in question has native frame rate of 23.976, so perhaps this is the reason for the missed frames? After some initial jitter, I see avg=0%, error=0%.

25p seems to work fine.

To whom it may concern: Merry Christmas!

Edit: darned, I just realized I'm still on xbmc-xvba-testing. Does that include all recent changes? Can I safely transition back to the non-testing version?

- fritsch - 2011-12-24

.:B:. Wrote:Guys, this is exciting stuff. I have a HD6950 and I would like to give this a shot; however, I'm not running Ubuntu.

Is there a way to obtain patches that can be applied against the main GIT tree? Or do I just pull the complete source from the Github project page?

I noticed a tarball from there is like 55 MB, I remember SVN checkouts being huge (hundreds of MB afaik?), so would this be a complete tree I'm pulling?

If you have patches, I'd prefer those Smile.

You could fetch the .orig.tar.gz from the ppa site. From there you can build your own version. Remember to have the dependencies installed. You will need amdxvba.h in /usr/include/amd/ .

Of course you can also checkout from git. Please use the xvba branch of fernetmenta and build it like normal xbmc (bootstrap, configure --enable-xvba, etc.)

- fritsch - 2011-12-24

grad Wrote:Edit: darned, I just realized I'm still on xbmc-xvba-testing. Does that include all recent changes? Can I safely transition back to the non-testing version?

Yes these packages are the same. We just did a xbmc-xvba-testing upload first to test it a bit.

I cannot really say sth. about the 24p dropping, cause i went away for christmas and do not have a TV with 24hz support here yet, so i could just tested it with 60hz at 1280x1024 without any misses. In order to get 23,XYZ fps movie to play fine on 24hz the movie is speedup of 0.1% (1001 / 1000). From the rear calculation it could be less than 1 missed / second.

Do you see any visual problems? aka hangs, drops, which disturb your visual senses and make it look bad?

Currently the programmed uncertainty is 10%. Perhaps we should choose the fine step a bit smaller to get this down.

But let`s see what Fernetmenta will tell us.