Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - pvautrin - 2012-10-22

(2012-10-18, 17:27)fritsch Wrote: @pvautrin:
Please reinstall the fglrx legacy driver. Currently you only have the userspace Part installed, but the kernel module is missing. Make sure to remove everything you installed by just running the catalyst installer script without creating packages.

Thanks fritsch, but I thought that's what I was doing already.
From VT1 (instead of ssh), I follow the legacy instructions from [1], excluding step 3a and including step 6 legacy: "sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.run --buildandinstallpkg" (doesn't that run the installer without creating packages?).

This time, I collected install log [2].
After reboot, I lose mouse pointer (and accel), so I have to switch back to radeon via "sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*". I have the log for fglrx removal too [3].

There's a number of warnings from update-alternatives (which don't make sense to me), any idea what's going on?

[1] http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996&pid=1138272#pid1138272
[2] http://pastebin.com/NX4nkBjM
[3] http://pastebin.com/h5hVLhTE

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-22

@pvautrin:
You are doing:
aticonfig --initial -f after the installation?

please also post Xorg.0.log next time you install the legacy driver.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - john.cord - 2012-10-22

(2012-10-22, 12:03)fritsch Wrote: @John.cord:
I wanted to make sure, that people don't assume that -testing is always stable. It is just "master branch" compiled automatically. But yeah at that part of the release cycle it is much more stable than during other merge cycles.

Funny is that it is more stable than 11.0 "stable" on Ubuntu 10.10 but you are right. There are a lot people her on the forums who are using "unstable" XBMC and complaining about the bugs or some non working features...

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-22

@John.cord:
The version you are running is not mainline. It is a special version mainly done by fernetmenta with some huge advantages.
xbmc-xvba-testing: fernetmenta github master branch (compiled without further testing)
xbmc-xvba: monthly stable of fernetmenta branch, tested by wsnipex and me

The difference to master xbmc is approx 10.000 Lines of Code.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-10-23

frisht posted your fix with permission... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369&pid=1220215#pid1220215

24p and 23p playback now working with "any e.g xvba, fernetmenta, mainline " xbmc version, as long as its with the 30x.x drivers for the xorg.conf in use!

Now only left is that stupid auto-mount

uNi

+1 for fritsh.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-23

For everybody seeing the fglrx 12.10 catalyst out there:

It is newer than what Ubuntu Quantal is shipping, but it does not support xserver 1.13 - so don't install it (at least on quantal)
d2kx Wrote:What a complete joke. The driver is dated September 28th (8 days newer than the special Ubuntu driver) but does not support Xserver 1.13.

[Linux] HOW-TO Fix automount usb devices left connected to machine - un1versal - 2012-10-24

@fritsch

Resolved LINUX and XBMC usbautomount for usb devices that are left connected during reboot, bootup, whatever. and no need for fstab entries either.

The problem:

1. Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install -at least) will leave connected usb devices unconfigured!
  2. Users will not be able to mount them using pmount /dev/sdb* even if that is the mount point) regardless if /media/devicename exists or not
  3. Trying to mount a usb device it will complain that /dev/sdb or sdb* does not exist (if that's your usb drive enumeration -presuming your system is using /dev/sda), MAKEDEV sdb will not help in fact just spews out more errors or silly messages that do not point to any solution.
  4. Using fritsch udev rule alone, does nothing of consequence, to affect the usb devices left connected.
The clew to solving this, is in running dmesg | grep usb before unplugging and after replugging the device: the message that saves the day is usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

The solution: (as root because of permissions)

Code:
echo usb-storage >> /etc/modules
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NUsLQFi4 -O /etc/udev/rules.d/media-by-label-auto-mount.rules

Tweak: reduce usb power consumption (why not?)

Append usbcore.autosuspend=-1

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub

Find your current GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

save and close file and update grub after with

Code:
update-grub

(udev rule credit to frItsch) source posted here

I haven't tested without the udev rule and because I had it on already, really haven't taken it out, as it seems to !work! as is.

After this any USB ddevices will show up in /media automatically after boot and show up in XBMC under Video>Files and in Filemanager without needing to add as source!

And that is all folks.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-24

@uNiversal:
hehe - seems you missed that part in the original howto. Btw. this is really coming from the ARCH linux guys. I just modified it to fit xbmc user needs, so it matches the howto wsnipex and I were writing 6 months. ago.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-10-24

What did I miss - again? Rofl

Now with the usb-storage driver loaded permanently really works for XBMC and Linux in general.

6 months ago I didn't have this problem, lol in fact not a single XBMC related problem (bugs not withstanding) especially Linux.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-25

About the new Catalyst 12.11 Beta:

- I made some short tests. Level51 seems to be enabled by default.
- But: Though I did not get the Killa Sample working without a lot of green an some purple - seems 16ReFrames are not supported, hehe :-)
- It works fine for other files
- But: It is a beta driver, so you need to save your old /etc/ati/signature
- The performance seems a bit better, I could play the dogsample (60p) with a lot less drops
- But: cpu usage jumps between 20 and 100 while decoding. This was better before.
- The Underscan works out of the box

For my part, i will keep what Ubuntu has :-)

RE: [Linux] HOW-TO Fix automount usb devices left connected to machine - john.cord - 2012-10-25

(2012-10-24, 12:44)uNiversal Wrote: @fritsch

Resolved LINUX and XBMC usbautomount for usb devices that are left connected during reboot, bootup, whatever. and no need for fstab entries either.

The problem:

1. Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install -at least) will leave connected usb devices unconfigured!
  2. Users will not be able to mount them using pmount /dev/sdb* even if that is the mount point) regardless if /media/devicename exists or not
  3. Trying to mount a usb device it will complain that /dev/sdb or sdb* does not exist (if that's your usb drive enumeration -presuming your system is using /dev/sda), MAKEDEV sdb will not help in fact just spews out more errors or silly messages that do not point to any solution.
  4. Using fritsch udev rule alone, does nothing of consequence, to affect the usb devices left connected.
The clew to solving this, is in running dmesg | grep usb before unplugging and after replugging the device: the message that saves the day is usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

The solution: (as root because of permissions)

Code:
echo usb-storage >> /etc/modules
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=NUsLQFi4 -O /etc/udev/rules.d/media-by-label-auto-mount.rules

Tweak: reduce usb power consumption (why not?)

Append usbcore.autosuspend=-1

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub

Find your current GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"
update-grub

(udev rule credit to frItsch) source posted here

I haven't tested without the udev rule and because I had it on already, really haven't taken it out, as it seems to !work! as is.

After this any USB ddevices will show up in /media automatically after boot and show up in XBMC under Video>Files and in Filemanager without needing to add as source!

And that is all folks.

uNi

sorry but your "solution" is mentioned in the very first post...

(2012-10-24, 20:29)fritsch Wrote: @uNiversal:
hehe - seems you missed that part in the original howto. Btw. this is really coming from the ARCH linux guys. I just modified it to fit xbmc user needs, so it matches the howto wsnipex and I were writing 6 months. ago.

What about the USB Suspend/Wakeup UDEV Rule is posted? Could be very helpfull for other users so why dont mention it in the first posting? --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996&pid=1218676#pid1218676

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-10-25

@John.coord:
We don't have any chars left in the first howto :-) That's the reason why it is not there yet.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - m.bluemle - 2012-10-25

hi!

is this xbmc-version supporting the cec adapter from pulse-eight? i want to buy one from pulse-eight, but my system is so nice running with your xbmc-version and i don´t want to try another only for cec-support!

RE: [Linux] HOW-TO Fix automount usb devices left connected to machine - un1versal - 2012-10-25

(2012-10-25, 01:27)john.cord Wrote: sorry but your "solution" is mentioned in the very first post...

It is NOT, Angel Not the usb-storage driver part-- to clarify! (at the Ubuntu 12.04 minimal install -at- least will not load usb-storage driver until you plug in a device AFTER the boot process is complete)

The udev rule which is n first post does NOT fix usb-automount for devices that are left connected into the box.

The udev rule fixes only if you plug a device after Linux/xbmc has booted! Tongue (mountdevice-by-label)

The driver need to be loaded permanently otherwise you have to unplug and re-plug any usb devices.

(2012-10-20, 21:37)john.cord Wrote: But the point is that it should be unnecessary if a device is plugged in before the machine is running. It should be mounted in both cases...

Indeed now with the usb-storage driver loaded permanently, this is no longer a problem.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-10-25

(2012-10-25, 11:44)m.bluemle Wrote: hi!

is this xbmc-version supporting the cec adapter from pulse-eight? i want to buy one from pulse-eight, but my system is so nice running with your xbmc-version and i don´t want to try another only for cec-support!

yes