Kodi Community Forum
Android Yatse: Full featured Kodi Remote (Widgets, Streaming, Offline media, ...) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Android Yatse: Full featured Kodi Remote (Widgets, Streaming, Offline media, ...) (/showthread.php?tid=117885)

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-07

@win88ice2004 : No it's not Smile And not sure yet what may come but nothing soon Smile

@Paxonator : This sounds like an Xbmc bug you may want to check your Xbmc version and eventually update Smile

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Paxonator - 2013-12-08

Thanks Tolrig, I'm using Frodo 12.2 at the moment. I will be soon reinstalling windows 7 and starting from scratch again though. I've swapped video cards a couple of times and I think that has given me a few extra issues as well. So hopefully that will resolve my problem.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Bram77 - 2013-12-08

Is there a version available somewhere already that works with Gotham?

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-08

All version does Wink

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Paxonator - 2013-12-10

Just wanted to say that this remote is really great. Still haven't gotten everything figured out yet but I prefer it to the xbmc remote. One thing that would be nice is for more options on the customizable button. Like maybe to make the keyboard pop up.

Re: RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Bram77 - 2013-12-10

(2013-12-08, 12:22)Tolriq Wrote: All version does Wink

Oh, it hasn't worked for me since I've switched to the openelec daily builds about three weeks ago.
I was running frodo up until then.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-10

Well update of Openelec reset settings so you may want to check again all of them Smile

And if all is ok well then as usual I'll need a more descriptive thing that "don't work" and logs Smile

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Bram77 - 2013-12-10

I've just updated to the most recent Gotham build and it's working perfectly again! Ignore my previous post.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Milhouse - 2013-12-11

Just noticed that while my Nexus 7 2013 (4.4.2) tablet is active, Yatse (which is not active in the foreground, but obviously running in the background) is constantly generating the following JSON requests every 2 seconds:

Code:
18:27:36 T:2871731280   DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
18:27:36 T:2871731280   DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: [{"id":0,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers"},{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Application.GetProperties","params":{"properties":["volume","muted"]}}]
18:27:38 T:2799494224   DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
18:27:38 T:2799494224   DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: [{"id":0,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers"},{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Application.GetProperties","params":{"properties":["volume","muted"]}}]
18:27:40 T:2871731280   DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
18:27:40 T:2871731280   DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: [{"id":0,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers"},{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Application.GetProperties","params":{"properties":["volume","muted"]}}]

I don't know the limitations of Android mobile app development, but is it really necessary for Yatse to poll XBMC like this when it could instead be using JSON notifications?

Is there any reason (other than your development time, of course!) why Yatse cannot establish the current state of the client by calling Player.GetActivePlayers/Application.GetProperties when the tablet/phone becomes active (or whenever Yatse connects to the XBMC client), and then afterwards - while the tablet/phone remains active - to simply monitor the JSON Player.OnPlay/Player.OnStop/Application.OnVolumeChanged notifications, updating the Yatse GUI state accordingly?

Monitoring notifications would be more efficient (and quicker) than polling every n seconds which is bad for both the tablet/phone battery, and also a waste of CPU cycles on the XBMC client (imagine if you have Yatse installed on several mobile devices, all hammering away on the same Raspberry Pi client, even when nobody is using XBMC!)

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-11

Yatse will pool when not active if you have widgets or activate the notifications Smile

About why not monitoring notification well first I do support Eden that is very limited, second I do support MPC as external player, and all is coded to support any media center Wink

But more than that for widget and notifications in every case I'll need to pool when screen on then start a listener then stop it if the screen in on only to check a notification.
Furthermore starting a listener when app is not present for widgets and notification will force the phone to have wifi on and will consume more battery for nothing if the phone goes down before th second pool that is very frequent Wink

This is why for example I asked the team for a way to know if virtual keyboard is shown appart from a notification that any turned off device won't received and can't act accordingly on wake up but well the answer was notification is there for that ....... Wink

So in the end pool every 2s is the more efficient way to handle widget and notification.
For battery also Wink

So yes when not bugged notification may do the job for a full app for Yatse and all the tbings it support it's not Wink

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Milhouse - 2013-12-11

How is stopping/starting a listener any different to polling every 2 seconds (the app appears to be establishing a new connection each time, executing a query then closing the connection rather than re-using the same connection during each poll).

I'd have thought it would be possible to architect the Android application in such a way that it would maintain the state of the player and volume when connecting to an Eden client (ie. use polling) or a Frodo/Gotham client (use notifications) or any other non-XBMC client (use polling or notifications depending on what is supported). This player information could then be shared with the widgets, or the the status bar notification or whatever.

It just doesn't seem right for a mobile app to be so "chatty" when there is a better - less chatty and more battery efficient - solution. "Push" (notifications) is always more preferable to polling, and never more so than on mobile platforms. Smile

Anyway, despite disabling widgets, system status notification and setting the cache interval to manual (default was 2 seconds) the JSON requests continue to poll at 2 second intervals, but at least only while the application is active.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-11

If the app is active it will pool obviously Wink

Anyway feel free to use another alternative that will be more battery efficient Wink

But if you had never noticed a battery problem on your Nexus before looking at Xbmc logs perhaps this is because my choices and how it's implemented are not that bad .......

(2013-12-11, 10:57)Tolriq Wrote: this is because my choices and how it's implemented are not that bad .......

Not that bad, but could be better. Wink

As a paying customer for your product I guess I'll just have to leave it there. Smile

Everything could be better, specially Xbmc JSON interface but well we have to live with it Smile

There's a big difference between being good and being perfect Wink

I could code ultra complex things to handle all Xbmc specifics and bugs (There's already tons of hack for Xbmc bugs ...) and have a perfect code with very few functions.

Or have Yatse that works perfectly without bugs and have thousands of functions Wink (And much more to come)

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2013-12-13

Just read an interresting article that goes perfectly with this conversation and illustrate my major problem with Yatse Smile

https://medium.com/p/1816bd8a341a