Kodi Community Forum
Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons (/showthread.php?tid=118245)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- umOuch - 2012-01-04

Unser Cunstruction for the next 2 days

- Batch - 2012-01-04

I support this site 100% and think it's great for XBMC to have an actuall fan site making addons and plugins easier to find. The idea is great and would have been great even if plugins linking to pirated content wouldn't been forced to move.

ronie Wrote:don't get me wrong, i think it's great of you to step forward and offer a new home for the addons in question,
but the fact the site advertises itself as 'the new home for all addons and plugins' is what confuses me....

as far as i know, only a handful of addons may be looking for a new home.
also, i'm not sure what fun it would be to create links to our forum for all the others on your site.

that being said... if we have to close some threads here,
i'm perfectly fine with a notification in the last post that support for and development of the addon will continue at XBMChub.
I partly agree with you, but I wouldn't highlight the word "all" as the problem. I would highlight "home" as the problem word.

It might not be the home for every addon/plugin but it should absolutely be the place to go to get information on what addons/plugins which are hot and links to where they can be found.

In my opinion XBMC addons/plugins always have been hard to find. To find new cool addons/plugins you need to find your way to "Plugin/Script (Python) Addons Help and Support" and browse through the threads.

The official repository is great but at least I would like to know more about the plugins than the few lines which describe them there. I rather have them listed on a good site, with recomendations and a few picturas (and maybe videos) showing how they look like.

This site won't become big in an instant. Don't try to rush it. It will need to grow, and it will grow, slowly. What it need right now is to get the few developers who have their project there to start putting up content. I should have done so myself already but work and celibrations have stolen a lot of my time.

- Martijn - 2012-01-04

@Batch

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Category:All_add-ons

The only thing add-on dev's need to to is fill in some more info and maybe a link to the thread (this only lists add-ons from offcial repo)

- Batch - 2012-01-04

Martijn Wrote:@Batch

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Category:All_add-ons

The only thing add-on dev's need to to is fill in some more info and maybe a link to the thread (this only lists add-ons from offcial repo)

I know about the wiki but I don't think it is any easier to find than the forum threads and it contains about as much info as the repository about each of the addons.

- rogerthis - 2012-01-04

The whole "Plugin/Script (Python) Addons Help and Support" is a complete mess on xbmc.org at the moment. You simply can't find anything. There are 3 full pages of threads that have been active in the past 24 hours.

Currently on "Plugin/Script (Python) Addons Help and Support" there are 303 people and has zero sub forums.

On "Skin Specific Help and Support" there are 85 people and 28 sub forums.

If xbmc.org don't get there act together, why would any dev want to host here? On XBMChub you will have a sub forum for addons\dev teams?

Also I can't see the problem with linking to the XMBChub from xbmc.org? It won't just have piracy addons.

- BORIStheBLADE - 2012-01-05

if some add-ons can't be discussed on this site and letting others stay is pretty much fragmenting the whole system anyways. I'm for migrating all to a new place and closing the add on section here. I understand why xbmc wants it this way, but If xbmc doesn't want to be affiliated with add-ons that have pirated content then all should be moved to avoid confusion for users.

hmm - umOuch - 2012-01-05

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:if some add-ons can't be discussed on this site and letting others stay is pretty much fragmenting the whole system anyways. I'm for migrating all to a new place and closing the add on section here. I understand why xbmc wants it this way, but If xbmc doesn't want to be affiliated with add-ons that have pirated content then all should be moved to avoid confusion for users.

I tend to agree. But that is just my opinion.

- amet - 2012-01-05

Abrasher Wrote:I tend to agree. But that is just my opinion.

Really? As far as I can think ... There is only 2-3 addons affected by this... Am I wrong?

So moving > 50 addons to your site just to keep it together is justified?

- lefty420 - 2012-01-05

It may only be a handful of addons as you've suggested. However the way the addon section at xbmc.org works leaves a lot to be desired (as has been mentioned). It might actually be beneficial to the whole "addon" scene for it to have a new home. As someone who writes reviews of addons I'd certainly enjoy getting my info from a more organised source.

Personally I've never understood why addons like iplayer and hulu never even get a mention on this sites homepage. Surely these addons a real selling points and deal breakers when choosing a MC.

$0.02

- natethomas - 2012-01-05

lefty420 Wrote:It may only be a handful of addons as you've suggested. However the way the addon section at xbmc.org works leaves a lot to be desired (as has been mentioned). It might actually be beneficial to the whole "addon" scene for it to have a new home. As someone who writes reviews of addons I'd certainly enjoy getting my info from a more organised source.

Personally I've never understood why addons like iplayer and hulu never even get a mention on this sites homepage. Surely these addons a real selling points and deal breakers when choosing a MC.

$0.02

As one of the front page authors, I can fairly easily field this one. We don't write about addons on the homepage that aren't in our official repo. Both hulu and iplayer aren't in our official repo because...

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/02/25/xbmc-and-the-bbc/

With that said, I can't really argue about the way addons are handled in the forum. That section of the forum really is a pretty big mess and could use some thoughtful rearranging.

- amet - 2012-01-05

lefty420 Wrote:It may only be a handful of addons as you've suggested. However the way the addon section at xbmc.org works leaves a lot to be desired (as has been mentioned). It might actually be beneficial to the whole "addon" scene for it to have a new home. As someone who writes reviews of addons I'd certainly enjoy getting my info from a more organised source.

$0.02

I can also agree that Addons section needs looking into and it will be done as soon as we move to the new forum.

creating a whole new "Hub" for a handfull of addons and then suggesting to move all instead of just saying "Addon Subforum looks bad, lets fix it" is just silly, but who am I to say anything

- rogerthis - 2012-01-05

Quote:XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft
Update: Below you will find slightly updated rules based on the past week of conversation. Unless something dramatic happens, these rules will go into effect at 11PM, Eastern Standard Time on Friday, January 6th.

The clock has started, 36 hours to go.

- Martijn - 2012-01-05

natethomas Wrote:With that said, I can't really argue about the way addons are handled in the forum. That section of the forum really is a pretty big mess and could use some thoughtful rearranging.

Maybe for now rearrange it into the same sections as you use in the repo and on the add-on wiki page (even though not all are in xbmc repo).
That would already be a start i think and would already give it some structure.

- rogerthis - 2012-01-05

Martijn Wrote:Maybe for now rearrange it into the same sections as you use in the repo and on the add-on wiki page (even though not all are in xbmc repo).
That would already be a start i think and would already give it some structure.

XBMCHub is offering each repo\addon dev to have full mod control over their sub-forum. Seem like a very good way to do it.

- amet - 2012-01-05

rogerthis Wrote:XBMCHub is offering each repo\addon dev to have full mod control over their sub-forum. Seem like a very good way to do it.

same as what we do with skins, whats your point?