Kodi Community Forum
Excluding items in playlists from basic home screen menus - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Excluding items in playlists from basic home screen menus (/showthread.php?tid=119458)

Excluding items in playlists from basic home screen menus - [Tahini] - 2012-01-10

Hi,
I have a question that's been bugging me for months now.

I have created two video-files playlists with shortcuts to the home screen. One is Documentaries (containing all documentaries) and the other one is "On Stage" (containing stand-up comedy, theatre, and so on). The playlists work on a file-location principle: all files contained in the specified directory are included.
The playlists work fine and when I access the respective entry in the home screen I am able to see all the items nicely displayed and scraped.

The problem is this: since the video files are scraped as Movies or TV Shows they will be automatically included in the respective basic menus. how do I prevent those files included in the playlists from showing in the main menus Movies and TV Shows? E.g. how can I prevent my documentaries to be shown under Movies? Right now they show both under Movies and Documentaries, but I'd like them to be displayed only under Documentaries.

I've been told this is not achievable in Dharma. Is it true? Will it be possible in Eden? If not even in Eden, is it feasible at all? All I can think of is some flag of the kind "not show items when location is XYZ" for the Movie and TV Shows menus, but maybe there's some other way.

Thanks
[T]

I suggest that Eden is well worth the update - PatK - 2012-01-10

There has been some subtle changes between Dharma and Eden in how the library is seen and may have some significance towards your issue.

Anyway... I have a James Bond collection buried under a folder called 'Action' and within that folder; the 'James Bond Collection' a sub directory... I've made a set of these (accessible through sets, or smart playlist) and when my movie library is loaded, I see the 'Set' as one cover.. I can enter that cover to see the entire set.

I also have a large collection of '5 minute Shorts' of which is not scanned into the library... and a number of TV shows/home movies that are unique etc.. I've created a path in the skin Transparency! off the home menu video slideout to access this content without it being in the library.

Perhaps you can set up something with Profiles to exclude content. In Eden, the video file and movies menu have most of the same attributes...

- mwkurt - 2012-01-10

[Tahini];984708 Wrote:Hi,
I have a question that's been bugging me for months now.

I have created two video-files playlists with shortcuts to the home screen. One is Documentaries (containing all documentaries) and the other one is "On Stage" (containing stand-up comedy, theatre, and so on). The playlists work on a file-location principle: all files contained in the specified directory are included.
The playlists work fine and when I access the respective entry in the home screen I am able to see all the items nicely displayed and scraped.

The problem is this: since the video files are scraped as Movies or TV Shows they will be automatically included in the respective basic menus. how do I prevent those files included in the playlists from showing in the main menus Movies and TV Shows? E.g. how can I prevent my documentaries to be shown under Movies? Right now they show both under Movies and Documentaries, but I'd like them to be displayed only under Documentaries.

I've been told this is not achievable in Dharma. Is it true? Will it be possible in Eden? If not even in Eden, is it feasible at all? All I can think of is some flag of the kind "not show items when location is XYZ" for the Movie and TV Shows menus, but maybe there's some other way.

Thanks
[T]

Hello...It is possible in Dharma as as I have done this in the past. It kind of depends on what skin you are using though. I used Transparancy, which is a wonderful skin for this.
Anyway...Create 2 more playlists with rules like all movies, don't include Documentaries. Hide the original "Movie" link on home and instead use your new playlist on home. It can be done, you just need to think outside the box a little. Do the same with your TV shows and whatever you want to hide.

Mark

- [Tahini] - 2012-01-11

Thanks both guys for the replies!

@PatK: the issue is not about sets not showing as sets, nor about not wanting to scan into library some items (though the latter suggestion solves another problem I have). It is about separating scanned items into two different menus that are mutually exclusive. Or are you suggesting I create a set called "documentaries" inside the Movie menu? that sounds a bit of a stretch to me, and it does not fix the issue that I do not want to see documentaries in the Movies menu.

@mwkurt: I had thought about your solution. However there is the problem that the basic menus Movies and TV Shows also have submenus, and those afaik -but I havent investigated much the subject so forgive me if I'm wrong- cannot be recreated on shortcuts. in other words I can well hide basic "Movie" menu on Home screen and create a Movie shortcut to a folder-based playlist (just like the ones I have), but then I'd lose the chance to look for directors, actors, genre and so on.

Isnt there any option at all to have the scanned items belonging to a playlist not showing in the basic menus?

- PatK - 2012-01-11

No I don't think so... all video that scanned into the library are available. Playlists work with the library... and if it's not available to the library, smart playlists wouldn't work.

My suggestion was primarily a video files solution (called the button movies or whatever) and within you could have whatever folders available you wanted. Quite a few Eden features have extended to file mode. Flatten allows you to escape back to sub menu which includes movies and the slide out items.

Separate Media Libraries for each user http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profiles