Kodi Community Forum
Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' (/showthread.php?tid=119503)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - CrystalP - 2012-03-26

OK. Sometime between Dharma and beta1 is just too large a period to search blind.
That's not a debug log, you need to turn on debugging in the settings. Please upload the log on a site like pastebin.com and paste the link here.
I tried harder and it just won't happen on my computer.

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Razzo - 2012-03-26

Turning debugging on in the setting prevents the crash from happening. Strange but true.

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - ghostcorps - 2012-03-26

Thing is it can happen on the first skip but usually after a few quick skips. To replicate it everytime I just hit skip as fast as I can until it drops, it doesn't take long.

Would a debug log of a session that didn't crash when skipping be of any use?

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Vimes - 2012-03-26

This happens for me as well, exactly as described. It has been on the third or fourth skip that it would then crash.
Unable to post logs of it happening due to it then not happening.!

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - jere - 2012-03-26

Here is my log: http://pastebin.com/wQGtSNQa

But please note again that it will not crash with debug log on.

Greetz Jere

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - jere - 2012-03-26

(2012-03-25, 20:03)Razzo Wrote: The workaround is putting advancesettings.xml in the userdata folder. The advancesettings.xml contains this:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks to RazorFR for that info.

That works for me as well... thanks! Please note that the file is called advancedsettings.xml not advancesettings.xml.

Jere

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Razzo - 2012-03-26

Indeed: advancedsettings.xml ! Good catch. I've updated my previous post.

I've tried the nightlies and the oldest one i can find (XBMCSetup-20111124-da3fabb-master.exe 25-Nov-2011 11:00 48M Details) has the crash bug.

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - MarkJG - 2012-03-31

With the full release of Eden, i've found that it has crashed a couple of times while navigating the menus in addition to the already discussed skipping a video. Both times it has been while moving forward or backward a few times quickly in succession. Which made me think it has more to do with the remote input than the video itself.

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - mosesvii - 2012-03-31

Hey guys, I'm also having the crashing issue since upgrading to Eden. It's incredibly frustrating. I see this thread has come to the conclusion that you need to add some text to the advancedsettings.xml to resolve the issue. This however is not working for me. I have extra text in the xml file as i wanted to change the skip lengths. If i remove my custom skip lengths the fix works, if i leave it there it doesn't. I've reinstalled XBMC, I've also tried putting the text in the xml file in different orders. This is what i currently have... and suggestions?

<advancedsettings>
<video>

<loglevel>1</loglevel>
<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
<timeseekforward>5</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>30</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-30</timeseekbackwardbig>

</video>
</advancedsettings>

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Skuffe - 2012-04-01

@mosevii you should probably format your advancedsettings.xml like this instead,

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
<video>
<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
<timeseekforward>5</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>
<timeseekforwardbig>30</timeseekforwardbig>
<timeseekbackwardbig>-30</timeseekbackwardbig>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - mosesvii - 2012-04-01

Thanks Skuffe. I actually came to the same conclusion after looking at my post and fixed up my xml file. I just hadn't had a chance to update my post with what i'd found. Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe it will help any other newbies if/when they come across it.

Big Grin

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Vimes - 2012-04-01

Does it work for you now with no crashing when skipping forwards through a video...?

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Middle - 2012-04-01

This skip crashes happens with me also, since nightly builds, (not sure build version) i always tought was something in my HPTC,
i did try crash with debug on, no success, but i notice ppl reporting problem are using AMD gpu same as me.
I have kids HTPC with nvidia gpu i try make it crash but it didnt, not sure if is a big coincidence or it has something to do with the problem.
i'll try harder make the htpc with nvidia gpu crash and report if i succed.

both HTPC are runnig eden final and windows 7 64

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - Vimes - 2012-04-01

Mine uses an Asus Gt 430 Nvidia GPU and crashes when skipping forward.

RE: Windows Eden crashes on 'skip' - mosesvii - 2012-04-02

The solution worked for me after I modified my XML file. If you don't already have an advancedsettings.xml file (and you won't if you haven't created it), create one with the following text

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

The XML file must be named advancedsettings.xml and be save to your user data folder (see here for location http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata). For thos who don't know how to create it, simply create a file with notepad, copy the line of code in from above and rename the extension to XML. For those wishing to modify the skip length when using up, down, left, right on a keyboard so my earlier post.