Kodi Community Forum
Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate (/showthread.php?tid=120609)

Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - gnrtool82 - 2012-01-21

I've done/am doing research to try to fix why when I plug my computer into my tv via hdmi, the screen is "too big" (overscan issue?) on the tv and the edges are as a result cut off.

I'm using simply the windows 7 screen resolution settings. I realize this is likely a stupid question, unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make the tv into the proper resolution.

The computer tells me and knows that it's connected to a 720p tv, which it is. It has it set to 1280x720.

I've tried messing with other resolutions, 1280x768, but the problem remains. It doesn't seem to help at all.

Thanks for any help anyone provides!

- bluray - 2012-01-22

gnrtool82 Wrote:I've done/am doing research to try to fix why when I plug my computer into my tv via hdmi, the screen is "too big" (overscan issue?) on the tv and the edges are as a result cut off.

I'm using simply the windows 7 screen resolution settings. I realize this is likely a stupid question, unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make the tv into the proper resolution.

The computer tells me and knows that it's connected to a 720p tv, which it is. It has it set to 1280x720.

I've tried messing with other resolutions, 1280x768, but the problem remains. It doesn't seem to help at all.

Thanks for any help anyone provides!
Use the UnderScan/OverScan option in Nvidia or AMD controller to fill in your screen!

- numb7rs - 2012-01-22

There may be an option in the TV settings to fix this. Different manufacturers have different ways of going about it.

Some brands, e.g. Samsung, make it so that if you change the name of an input to 'PC' or 'DVI' or similar, it will automatically turn off overscan. Other brands have a distinct 'overscan' option in the settings menu somewhere. Others don't have it at all.

If you can't fix it in the TV, then you can try what bluray suggested.

- eskro - 2012-01-22

set underscan/overscan to ZERO.

then, example, SAMSUNG as an image/aspect ration option called "FiT SCREEN"

and LG has the samething called "JUST SCAN" ...

use that to make your HTPC take the whole HDTV screen correctly.

- bluray - 2012-01-22

eskro Wrote:set underscan/overscan to ZERO.
This doesn't work for all HDTV's. My 56" and 42" HDTV don't fill in properly with U/O scan to 0, but my HTPC with 32" HDTV filled in with 0. My suggestion is to adjust U/O till it fill in your HDTV screen on all corners....

- eskro - 2012-01-22

i really suggest users to try their HDTV's image options like i suggested
before having to use underscan/overscan GPU settings

- numb7rs - 2012-01-23

eskro Wrote:I really suggest users to try their HDTV's image options ... before having to use underscan/overscan GPU settings
Agreed. GPU overscan settings will reduce the quality of the image. For a TV to advertise as 1080p, is has to have the correct resolution. Removing the overscan of the TV will give 1:1 pixel mapping => best image quality.

RE: Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - charliek - 2012-11-30

Just found this thread, having researched the same problem. I followed your advice, Eskro,and fixed it. Thank you. (I don't see the reputation button, though!)

My TV calls it something bizzare like "HDMI PC full mode", and it's buried at the bottom of the 'feature' menu rather than being in the 'picture' menu. Still, it was a cheap TV Smile

The picture quality is noticeably better fixing the overscan on the TV as opposed to on the video card.

Cheers

Charlie

RE: Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - Deano316 - 2012-12-05

(2012-11-30, 10:21)charliek Wrote: Just found this thread, having researched the same problem. I followed your advice, Eskro,and fixed it. Thank you. (I don't see the reputation button, though!)

My TV calls it something bizzare like "HDMI PC full mode", and it's buried at the bottom of the 'feature' menu rather than being in the 'picture' menu. Still, it was a cheap TV Smile

The picture quality is noticeably better fixing the overscan on the TV as opposed to on the video card.

Cheers

Charlie

Likewise, helped fix a problem that was bugging me with my folks' TV. Great work Wink

RE: Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - greybeard75 - 2013-02-25

I have had the same problem with overscan too. I am using a computer LED monitor with a DVI plug and a DVI-HDMI cable to hook up my BeagleBoad xM. Tomorrow I will try plugging into my HDMI 27 inch Computer monitor I am using now for on-line. I'll let you know.
Greybeard

RE: Screen resolution computer-tv hdmi not accurate - pmolson - 2013-03-10

Guys what about a 44" Sony, anyone know where's that setting buried? Can't find it anywhere? THX