Kodi Community Forum
[SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin (/showthread.php?tid=121023)

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - crawl - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-17, 15:57)locomot1f Wrote: @ laraelise -
i think you may have found the same thing that I did.
The latest nightly builds do not seem to have the "correct" librtmp file.
so, like we had to do back when Crawl found this out...
as long as you are going to use the nightlies, you will have to do this everytime!

I've asked the Dev's about it... but they are mute as this is seemingly outside their scope. whoever handles the librtmp needs to put out the correct version. problem is... I'm not sure if anyone knows where this version is coming from... or why it works.... :-?

Hi,

Please don't blame the Devs in this case. They are doing nothing wrong. And the problem certainly isn't outside of their scope. They simply can't standardize a single version of librtmp that works on all devices. That's just not possible right now.

The problem is that because the librtmp file is OS dependent, a different version is required for different devices. The librtmp file that works on iOS devices like ATV2, iPad, iPhone, will not work on other devices like a Windows computer, or an OS X computer. In the same way that there's a different version of Java for Windows, OS X, etc. So there is not a "Correct" version so to speak that works for everyone. There are several versions made for each different applicable OS.

XBMC is amazingly diverse, in that it works on a whole host of different devices running different OSes. But there are still some minor aspects of XBMC like this, that must be platform dependent. There's no easy way around it. I doubt that it will be this way forever. The Devs are brilliant, and I have no doubt they will provide a better solution in the future when it's possible. They have standardized an amazing amount of XBMC behind the scenes already. Please be patient with this one little aspect, until a better solution is available. Somebody will always have a fix for you here on the forums. Take advantage of it.

Hope that explains things.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - locomot1f - 2012-08-18

@ Crawl

well put. i meant no disrespect to the Devs. this is by far (for me) the software of the decade! i use it religiously.
When i said "out of their scope" i was referring to exactly what you said regarding that it's not standardized. please excuse my brevity in trying to shed light on the situation

Thanks again for the explanation. You have very eloquently stated the situation. I think your post should be starred or pinned, or something.

well done, my good sir.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - sproket - 2012-08-19

Will this Hulu pluggin work for xbmc4xbox? Original xbox console not 360.

Thanks

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - artrafael - 2012-08-19

(2012-08-19, 10:31)sproket Wrote: Will this Hulu pluggin work for xbmc4xbox? Original xbox console not 360.

Thanks
XBOX is no longer supported here, but you check or ask over at: http://xbmc4xbox.org.uk

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - chorl - 2012-08-22

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for all your hard work about the plugin...It's amazing the ability to launch all kind of streaming media within XBMC!

I've been using this plugin in my Mid 2010 iMac, and it worked as charm, very snappy and so on...

But I can't watch Netflix from iMac (using a remote, I mean), so I moved all streaming plugins to my ATV2 with XBMC, and then I faced an annoying issue with Hulu plugin...I can stream content well with my Hulu Plus account (I updated rtmplib and so on), but it takes ages in the "Opening Streaming" window. I measured it last time, and I was 120 secs waiting in "Opening Streaming" window before stream content finally started.

I don't think it's a matter with bandwidth, because once started, playback is very good...

I downloaded xbmc.log and I realized XBMC took this 120 secs in...getting CC! Weird...In my iMac it takes only two seconds, but in ATV2 it takes so much longer..

Here is a glimpse of my xbmc.log, I can provide full log if needed:

xbmc.log

Code:
22:33:19 T:200097792  NOTICE: HULU --> common :: getFEED :: url = http://assets.huluim.com/captions/882/60101882_US_en_en.smi
22:35:29 T:200097792  NOTICE: HULU: --> Successfully converted subtitles to SRT

I need CC because english isn't my native tongue..So subtitles are a must for me..

How can I proceed?

I've tried nightly from 12.0-alpha branch but is a no-go (I can't even get it to load properly).

Any thoughts are welcomed..

Thank you very much!

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - BlueCop - 2012-08-22

chorl: the AES decryption module is really slow on atv2. I would need something else that runs decryption faster on atv2 to speed it up.

The AES module is used for video links and subtitles. this will take longer on the atv2.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - chorl - 2012-08-22

Wow! Thank you so much for quick reply!

I've just read what you stated in first post about subs being "slow", my apogies...

I didn't realized it was so slow..

Well, I can use iMac for Hulu Plus content, which works pretty well Smile

I have a lot of hope for ATV3..But it seems it's a tough guy..

Thank you!

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - crawl - 2012-08-22

120 seconds is considered "Ages"? Heh...

Patience young Skywalker... that's about average when subs are enabled, in my experience.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - BlueCop - 2012-08-22

It will also be variable depending on the number of subtitle lines that need to be decrypted. A really long movie with a lot of dialogue could take a while on the atv2. Each line is encrypted separately.

I have been searching for other python AES modules that might work better. I am using CryptoPy right now.

I haven't test the speed of any others implementations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_implementations#Python

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - KyleJCrb - 2012-08-24

EDIT: Never mind! I was able to get it to work by using my email address as the username instead of my username. Silly thing...

I am having a problem using the Hulu plugin with the "Enable Login" option. I have my username and password correctly entered, but whenever I try to use the plugin with the login enabled, I receive a "Script Failed! plugin.video.hulu" error. If I disable login, the plugin works fine, but of course I'd rather have access to my queue and HD viewing through Hulu Plus. Here is my log:

Quote: start of HULU plugin
18:04:12 T:2028 NOTICE: HULU--> no mode has been defined
18:04:12 T:2028 NOTICE: HULU --> common :: getFEED :: url = http://m.hulu.com/menu/hd_main_menu?show_id=0&dp_id=huludesktop&package_id=2&page=1
18:04:21 T:5856 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
18:04:21 T:5856 ERROR: C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.cryptopy\lib\crypto\hash\sha1Hash.py:9: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
import sha
18:04:21 T:5856 ERROR: C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.module.cryptopy\lib\crypto\hash\md5Hash.py:5: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
18:04:21 T:5856 NOTICE: addoncompat.py: XBMC Revision not available - Version String: 11.0 Git:20120321-14feb09
18:04:21 T:5856 ERROR: Error Type: <class 'urllib2.HTTPError'>
18:04:21 T:5856 ERROR: Error Contents: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
18:04:21 T:5856 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.hulu\default.py", line 12, in <module>
import resources.lib.common as common
File "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.hulu\resources\lib\common.py", line 417, in <module>
checkToken()
File "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.hulu\resources\lib\common.py", line 142, in checkToken
login_queue()
File "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.hulu\resources\lib\common.py", line 286, in login_queue
data = postAPI(action,parameters,True)
File "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.hulu\resources\lib\common.py", line 323, in postAPI
response = urllib2.urlopen(req)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 397, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 510, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 435, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 518, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
18:04:21 T:4692 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.hulu
18:04:21 T:4692 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.hulu) failed

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - chorl - 2012-08-24

(2012-08-22, 19:56)BlueCop Wrote: It will also be variable depending on the number of subtitle lines that need to be decrypted. A really long movie with a lot of dialogue could take a while on the atv2. Each line is encrypted separately.

I have been searching for other python AES modules that might work better. I am using CryptoPy right now.

I haven't test the speed of any others implementations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_implementations#Python

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking a look into improving AES decryption...I don't know how many people are using such feature (I bet only a few of us), but it would great to speed up subtitles decryption in ATV2!

If you want some guinea pigs for testing, I'd be glad to. My coding skills are very limited, but I've been using jailbroken ATV2 for a while, so I'm familiarized with the platform.

Kind regards.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - ZiiC - 2012-08-25

Hey guys. So I know that you normally cant use Hulu in canada, but i changed my DNS address on my apple TV and my location to the US so my apple TV think im in the states.
When I try and open up HULU on XBMC, it says script error and wont open.
Could I fix this possibly?

Thanks!

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - contagius - 2012-08-25

(2012-05-18, 20:25)crawl Wrote: laraelise, locomot1f,

Sharing this here as well, as it appears that some here should try this:

***This fix is for iOS users only(iPhone, iPod, iPad, atv2)!!****

Download this librtmp: http://www.mediafire.com/?n18xpqqkgrwzggm

Use Cyberduck or PuTTy, and connect to your device.

Navigate to /private/var/stash/Applications.m7LFCH/XBMC.app/Frameworks (Note that depending on your device and firmware version, your Applications folder may be labeled slightly differently)

Copy the librtmp.0.dylib file you downloaded above, to the Frameworks folder. Overwrite the current one.

Completely reboot the device(Important).

Once that is done, go to Hulu plugin settings, navigate to the Streaming tab.

Select "akamai" for the Default CDN
Uncheck "Network Pre-roll". (No more Quiznos...LOL)
Set Pre-Roll ads and Trailing ads to 0.
Uncheck "Enable Commercial breaks".
Unless you're outside USA, be sure Proxy is Unchecked.

Now test it. If that doesn't work, leave all other settings the same, but try a different Default CDN, like "limelight".

I think some confusion arrises because of the Network Pre-roll. Users see the network pre-roll and think that it's actually streaming and quitting after a few seconds. But it's actually not getting to the actual video at all. The network Pre-roll has nothing to do with the video you're streaming, and you'll see the network pre-roll even if you have an incorrect librtmp version. Seeing that doesn't mean it's working. Don't assume because you see the network pre-roll, that it's briefly working and you've got the right librtmp. I think many users are getting confused by this when it's the librtmp file that's the root of the problem.

Hope that helps!

Does this work for ATV1?

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - bladeds - 2012-08-25

that means the dns is not setup correctly, i use unblock us, and this use to happen to me whenever unblock us went down so is probably the same problem.

(2012-08-25, 00:03)ZiiC Wrote: Hey guys. So I know that you normally cant use Hulu in canada, but i changed my DNS address on my apple TV and my location to the US so my apple TV think im in the states.
When I try and open up HULU on XBMC, it says script error and wont open.
Could I fix this possibly?

Thanks!

The atv1 isnt ios so you will need a version of librtmp for the atv1.

RE: [SUPPORT] Hulu Video Plugin - crawl - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 06:08)contagius Wrote: Does this work for ATV1?

No it does not.