Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server (/showthread.php?tid=121142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - IssacBinary - 2013-01-17

Ok so using the favouite.xml method, XBMC is able to wake up the server. So it seems like something is blocking the AWOL script from running?

XBMC just hangs on the loading screen as it cant connect to the server and the script isnt firing to send the magic packet....

This still seems to be the only error related to any of this..

Code:
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Error No.: 1 / Error Msg.: Operation not permitted - Note that ICMP messages can only be sent from processes running as root.
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Closing WOL script

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - mandark - 2013-01-17

i've just looked up the code. the error definitely occurs during the host-up check via ping, which has nothing to do with the sending the WOL-packet and occurs after that. as i said before, for the hostup-check to work, the user running XBMC must have root / administrator rights. if you can't or don't want to change this, you can disable the host-up check via ping completely in the addon's advanced settings. this should get rid of the error message.

but to further evaluate, why the waking up does not occur:

could you please check the xbmc.log, if you can find a line like this:
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: WakeOnLan signal sent to MAC-Address .....

and maybe directly after that a line like this:
ERROR: WakeOnLan - ....

also: when testing AWOL, are you always testing it by autostarting with XBMC? if yes, could you please test it by launching it manually via the program-section within the already running XBMC?

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - IssacBinary - 2013-01-17

Ok, So its acting very weirdly. First of all I disabled the check host and yes it has stopped the errors from showing.
However, I installed everything default, so does that mean, by defauly XBMC does not run as root?

Secondly, I ran the script from programmes, and it does actually wake the server.

Thirdly, I cleared the logs and restarted XBMC, I can see that it says that it is actually sending the magic packet....yet its not waking up to server. After a while I went in and woke it up manually to get XBMC to boot.

Heres the log
http://pastebin.com/c70QNvru

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - mandark - 2013-01-17

(2013-01-17, 21:24)IssacBinary Wrote: However, I installed everything default, so does that mean, by defauly XBMC does not run as root?
sorry, but i can't really tell you that. i don't have an Apple TV, and know very little about it.

(2013-01-17, 21:24)IssacBinary Wrote: Secondly, I ran the script from programmes, and it does actually wake the server.
i have a suspicion, what might be the case. right after starting up your Apple TV, it might take a while, until the network connection is ready. if XBMC+AWOL is started before that is the case, sending the magic packet won't work. to circumvent this problem, i've included the settings "Delay WOL-signal on wake-on-launch / wake-after-standby" in the addons "Autostart"-settings. set these to a higher value (5 or 10 seconds should do). this way, AWOL waits for this amount of seconds after its autostart with XBMC, before the WOL signal is actually sent. if the network connection is ready then, everything should work fine.

Unfortunately that definitely is not the case as XBMC doesn't actually boot with the Apple TV 2. The ATV never actual turns off. Its just sitting at the launcher waiting for you to click XBMC. All the network settings are all fully in place.

It is so weird as it all used to work perfectly and the setup was the same.

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - mandark - 2013-01-18

hmm, your previously posted xbmc-log states, that XBMC was started at 11:17:44 without any AWOL-activity, which indicates, that AWOL was not auto-started as a service at all. the AWOL script was then started not until 19:19:01. was this the time of your manual successful launch of AWOL via programs?

could you please check, that "Activate wake-on-launch" is enabled in the addons "Autostart"-settings, then completely close and restart XBMC, wait about a minute and then post the complete xbmc.log from that launch?

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - artrafael - 2013-01-18

As mandark said, be sure you have "Activate wake-on-launch" enabled in AWOL and, if you're updating your libraries automatically at XBMC startup, you may want to disable this in your XBMC settings and have AWOL perform the library updates upon successful WOL. This is also on the "Autostart" tab mentioned by mandark. Otherwise, XBMC may get hung up trying to update the libraries if it does not have access to the still-sleeping server.

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - anarchoi - 2013-01-20

it would be awesome if this addon could send WOL packet when opening a media from a specific share.

Here's my situation:

I stock all my recent movies on my HTPC. Then after a couple of months i archive them on a NAS. Most of the time i play only my recent movies, but sometimes i browse movies in the library, and when trying to play an old movie from my NAS it obviously won't play until i manually start my NAS. The old movies from my nas are in a different share in XBMC.

I know this addon can automatically send WOL when XBMC boots but i dont want to do that since i play movies from my NAS only around 10% of the time and i don't want my NAS to run all the time.

I could pay money to get this feature !

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - keisuji - 2013-01-21

HTPC Win 7x64 Pro, xbmc frodo RC3, aeon mq4
I upgraded my xbmc to frodo RC3 and now the addon do not work anymore. I boot the htpc and it looks like the addon do not send the WOL signal.
In the previous version (frodo betas, RC1) it all worked fine.

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - IssacBinary - 2013-01-21

Sorry for the late reply.

So I have cleared the logs and did the test. I checked and Wake on Launch IS enabled. Also I do not have update libaries enabled.

Heres the complete log

http://pastebin.com/STtrTCGX

I let XBMC sit on its loading screen for about a minute, then at 16:10 I sent a magic packet manually from my phone to wake the server. It then procedded to load XBMC once the server was on.

Looking at the logs, AWOL sent the Wake on Lan packet once XBMC has booted. Which was after I sent it manually. So it looks likeXBMC is completly hanging everything until it can connect to the server?

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - artrafael - 2013-01-22

(2013-01-21, 18:18)IssacBinary Wrote: So I have cleared the logs and did the test. I checked and Wake on Launch IS enabled. Also I do not have update libaries enabled.
Quote:Looking at the logs, AWOL sent the Wake on Lan packet once XBMC has booted. Which was after I sent it manually. So it looks likeXBMC is completly hanging everything until it can connect to the server?

Which is not enabled: the update music/video library options on the AWOL Autotstart page or the "Update library on startup" option on the System > Settings > Video (or Music) > Library page?

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - IssacBinary - 2013-01-22

Neither are enabled.

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - yaapu - 2013-01-24

Hi everybody I'm a new here but I already have a request :-)

How about sending a Wake on Lan packet when exiting from the screensaver?
I have a raspberry pi with openelec and it does not support suspend/resume but the screen still dims, I keep it on all the time, only the screensaver goes on/off

b.t.w. great job!

Send WOL when start video playback - jerndl - 2013-01-28

I have a Windows 8 PC that is used as a XBMC (Frodo RC 3) client and it is also used as a SMB server for all my Movies/TV Shows. I also have other XBMC clients (currently 2 Apple TVs running Crystalbuntu). Everything is working OK with this add-on but I still need some help. I have the Win 8 PC set to wake on magic packet only and XBMC is set to sleep after 1 hour using the Shutdown Function Timer. The ATV clients are "always on". The problem is that XBMC on the win 8 PC will sleep after 1 hour if the PC XBMC client is not active. However I still need the Win 8 PC to be up to serve (SMB) the other XBMC clients. What I would like to be able to do is have the ATV XBMC clients send the WOL to the server whenever they start to play a video. I haven't seen any parameters that allow me to do that. I see that I can send WOL on startup but that doesn't work because the ATV clients hardly ever startup because they are on all the time. I also see that I can send WOL all the time but that doesn't work either because the server would never sleep. Is there any way to accomplish what I am trying to do? Thanks in advance for the help and I hope this has not already been addressed.

Jay

RE: [RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server - chris8837 - 2013-01-30

I was just wondering if anyone was able to get AWOL to work with the "Linux version" of XBMC for the Pivos Xios.

I have the ATV2 and Raspberry Pi and they work flawlessly. (Great application By the Way!!)

But for some reason this doesn't seem to work with the Xios. I'm going to be buying and using the Xios for every room, but I just want to make sure that this awesome tool will work or will possibly work in the future.