XBMC Add-On Frontend Repository - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Website and Forum Issues or Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: XBMC Add-On Frontend Repository (/showthread.php?tid=121193)
XBMC Add-On Frontend Repository - zag - 2012-01-27 13:33
One thing I noticed with xbmc is the plugin management and organization is lacking. At the moment I think it is a manual process to add/approve plugins and there is no real central web repository. Plugins are hard to find on the web and discussion of them seems limited to random forum threads dotted all over the place. The documentation and source code is also not centralized. Lastly its hard to know if a plugin is working or broken.
Create a web based repository of all plugins containing basic information(details, icons, screenshots) as well as links to the community discussion, wiki manuals, source code links and current status.
details screen | category list
- Move away from Slow XML data
- Community voting on plugin status [working/broken/abandoned]
- Make it more like Apple/Android web stores (allow donations/commercial plugins ect)
- Add user reviews and scores
- 0.2 fix bug with games category
- 0.1 initial release. Basic categories, info, and web links.
Disclosure: I am part of the MeediOS project (I helped write their OpenMAID plugin repository). I also use xbmc though so happy to help out here as well.
- Martijn - 2012-01-27 16:35
The wiki has automatic updating on version/status and some basic info (only for the official xbmc repo)
the add-on dev's just need to make use of it.
Although it is a great idea never the less
- zag - 2012-01-27 17:34
Cool I can auto-link to those wiki pages easily as they seem to follow a good naming convention.
- jmarshall - 2012-01-28 00:04
@zag2me: Please give da-anda and TheUni a ping - we're more than happy to host something like this and help out where we can.
- zag - 2012-01-28 00:09
jmarshall Wrote:@zag2me: Please give da-anda and TheUni a ping - we're more than happy to host something like this and help out where we can.
Thanks I got help from theuni already but I think it got forgotten about.
I updated the first link with the live version at the moment.
It would be nice to get a beta url hosted though for xbmc then some more people could contribute on it
- Tobor - 2012-01-28 00:23
jmarshall Wrote:...we're more than happy to host something like this and help out where we can.
You shouldn't be "more than happy. They lock up people who are "more than happy".
- zag - 2012-01-28 00:43
Some requests for the xml feed
- Please can you include plugin "version" in simplestats.xml. That will allow to properly link to the changelog and manual download.
- Extracting the screenshot from a zip file each time is fine for xbmc but very CPU intensive on a webserver. Is it possible to have them already extracted on the webserver? For now I have just linked to the zip file.
And for the future...
- I think eventually it would be best to have a unique ID for plugins instead of just a name. This would be faster to search and also prevent dupes.
- I dont think the site is very scalable, XML is sloooooooooow
- Wiki should have standard naming and structure. [done check here]
- How to to store extra plugin metadata such as paypal address and forum link, itunes like comments? Standard extra info XML maybe?
- Ned Scott - 2012-01-28 17:46
I've been meaning to get the automated add-on bot script for the Wiki working with some 3rd party repos, but my python skills are lacking. (hint hint)
I have manually done a few to show how it can be done (and a wonderful alternative to having to edit the first post of a thread all the time).
Also, lots of stuff planned for the 3rd party repo list: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_add-on_repositories As you can see it's kind of a mess right now. It's hard to work on it without having it break the add-ons that use it to install other repos, so will need to work with someone on that as well.
Check out some of these examples:
I've also been meaning to push this more and make add-on developers more aware that the wiki exists for these things too. Feel free to help spread the word.
- zag - 2012-01-29 21:36
Is the plugin naming on the WIKI standard? I.E. The plugin title?
- bossanova808 - 2012-01-30 03:44
Ned - You should do a nice post explaining how to make one of those pages (I what to name it etc), I for one would much prefer my add on be in there than (as you say) editing the forum post....
- Martijn - 2012-01-30 15:14
bossanova808 Wrote:Ned - You should do a nice post explaining how to make one of those pages (I what to name it etc), I for one would much prefer my add on be in there than (as you say) editing the forum post....
Well if your add-on is in offcial repo it will be made automaticly. After that you can edit it yourself. As long as you don't remove the script parts.
The wiki editing does need some explaning and also some of the widgets that are usefull while editing.
- zag - 2012-01-30 19:10
Has anyone got a standard background for the xbmc plugin icons?
Is this ok?
I can create graphics for the plugins missing icons if needed?
- zag - 2012-01-30 20:11
Well I went ahead and created some for the metadata plugins that were missing icons
Can an admin add them to the official repository? Download here
NOTE1: I couldn't find this site "metadata.getlib.com"
NOTE2: And "metadata.common.dtrailer.com" is dead
- zag - 2012-01-30 20:20
And here are the pictures missing icons. Download here
NOTE1: I couldn't find this site "plugin.image.prensayrevistas"
NOTE2: I couldn't find this site "plugin.image.mypicsdb" either sorry. Anyone know the source?
- zag - 2012-01-30 20:47
And here are a few videos missing icons. Download here
NOTE1: There are too many plugins for me to do myself, gonna need some help with these ones