Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-08

I have been trying to keep up with the tech behind this but the last comment has confused me! this is the mediafile report for the truehd file.
General
Unique ID : 206879127696790850231049251004353230550 (0x9BA3787F23BB7D2887E378F19BCA36D6)
Complete name : \\ZOTAC\Films\Kung Fu Panda 2.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 18.6 GiB
Duration : 1h 30mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 29.5 Mbps
Movie name : Kung Fu Panda 2
Encoded date : UTC 2012-02-07 20:11:19
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.2.0 ('No Talking') built on Jul 28 2010 18:38:23
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 34.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 5 538 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : Yes

I thought I had fixed the DTSMA problem as the remuxed file correctly displayed on the receiver. However, the problem seems to be that if I select a file having just turned the XBMC machine on, it correctly reports as DTSMA. If I then select some more DTSMA files then they start reporting as DTS, however then playing a normal file and going back will cause it to correctly register again, as I mentioned earlier as if it is 'resetting' the communication with the receiver. It's weird!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-08

ArieS Wrote:Are you sure it's working after it was ripped with MakeMKV?
Because we are already quite a few to have reported that it's not working properly.
Are you playing the TrueHD track or decoding it to PCM?

I just confirmed that you are correct, it is broken if ripped with MakeMKV. Some of my older titles were ripped with Clown-BD and those appear to be working fine, but the ones (Kung Fu Panda 2 for example) that I have ripped more recently using Make-MKV are broken, I get stuttering and tons of frame drops when playing them.

- bluray - 2012-02-08

greysquirrel Wrote:My first thought was to convert to m2ts, tried with tsmuxergui and it won't open truehd audio. I only have 2 thd files at the mo, both don't work but main problem is Kung Fu panda 2. I will try reripping straight to m2ts and am in process of running dtsma files through Mkvmerge to see if that strips out anything. It must either be a problem with using Mkv as a container (surely can't be as others have it working) or more likely the version of makemkv I used caused tiny header glitches or something.
Can you verify your BD file with MediaInfo to see what audio codecs are in it?

You can download it from here- MediaInfo.

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-08

T800 Wrote:Are the MakeMKV TrueHD files not working because they don't have the interleaved legacy ac3?
Curious, what difference would the existence of a bog standard DD track have on playback?

- a1sy - 2012-02-08

bluray Wrote:If I understand this correctly, you are connecting your system this way- HTPC-->Xonar via DVI cable and Xonar-->AVR-->HDTV via two HDMI cables. Did you selected Xonar HDMI output and configure speaker to 2-channel stereo in W7 control panel? You need to select the same Xonar HDMI output in XBMC audio output and Wasapi!

I run Video card Nvidia 9600GT HDMI out to Xonar HDMI input.
From Xonar output HDMI to AVR.
From AVR HDMI video to Sony XBR4 52".

Typically I mount BD ISO with Virtual Clone and Arcsoft TMT5 starts automatically, playing bitstream in pathrough mode.
On XBMC, it says Wasapi: Speakers Xonar 1.3
Thanks

In additional testing I observe that this patch also appears to allow for conversion of DTS-MA to PCM... is there an open source decoder for DTS-MA decoding?

When I do PCM conversion of DTS-MA or Dolby True, everything works great, with no frame loss in testing so far. Only with bitstream do I get the frame loss occurrences.

voip-ninja Wrote:In additional testing I observe that this patch also appears to allow for conversion of DTS-MA to PCM... is there an open source decoder for DTS-MA decoding?

When I do PCM conversion of DTS-MA or Dolby True, everything works great, with no frame loss in testing so far. Only with bitstream do I get the frame loss occurrences.
Nope only DTS core AFAIK, though DanielaE's first post would seem to contradict that. Like you I didn't think there was a suitable open source decoder available.

- T800 - 2012-02-08

steelman1991 Wrote:Curious, what difference would the existence of a bog standard DD track have on playback?

I remember back to my Popcorn Hour days when a TrueHD track needed the interleaved track in it to bitstream.
All my HD DVD rips needed a legacy AC3 track interleaved into them that I created with eac3to.

IIRC MakeMKV doesn't keep the interleaved track from Blu-ray rips. I could be wrong though.

T800 Wrote:I remember back to my Popcorn Hour days when a TrueHD track needed the interleaved track in it to bitstream.
All my HD DVD rips needed a legacy AC3 track interleaved into them that I created with eac3to.

IIRC MakeMKV doesn't keep the interleaved track from Blu-ray rips. I could be wrong though.
Didn't know that - but having never owned a Popcorn Hour - had no reason to Big Grin

Don't know that it makes any difference as the other TrueHD files that I ripped using Another EAC3toGUI don't have the interleaved legacy track, yet they play flawlessly.

All the files that have problems were ripped with MakeMKV build v1.6.14 (an August build I think). Clearly there have been newer builds since then , but I prefer Another EAC3toGUI or Clown BD for my ripping needs, so haven't used MakeMKV for some time - perhaps these issues are only shown in eariler builds.

- ArieS - 2012-02-08

steelman1991 Wrote:All the files that have problems were ripped with MakeMKV build v1.6.14 (an August build I think). Clearly there have been newer builds since then , but I prefer Another EAC3toGUI or Clown BD for my ripping needs, so haven't used MakeMKV for some time - perhaps these issues are only shown in eariler builds.
Same problem with the latest version of MakeMKV.
Looks like I'll have to re-rip all my movies with TrueHD.
At least the problem is not with DTS-HD as this is about 90% of my collection. Now THAT would have been a b!tch Smile

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-08

bluray Wrote:Can you verify your BD file with MediaInfo to see what audio codecs are in it?

You can download it from here- MediaInfo.

I posted the mediainfo for the truehd track just before your post. At least it isn't just me then! I only have 2 truehd files so no biggy to re rip, will try fab 8 and see if that makes a difference.

Eh, I'm not going to re-rip over this, I will just disable bitstream for Dolby True and have it sent as PCM.

PCM should be identical.

- T800 - 2012-02-08

voip-ninja Wrote:Eh, I'm not going to re-rip over this, I will just disable bitstream for Dolby True and have it sent as PCM.

PCM should be identical.

Exactly! To me this is more of a bonus to play DTS-HD MA. TrueHD decoded will be just fine.

- ArieS - 2012-02-08

voip-ninja Wrote:Eh, I'm not going to re-rip over this, I will just disable bitstream for Dolby True and have it sent as PCM.

PCM should be identical.
Doh! I had already forgotten about that...
I'll give that a try.

T800 Wrote:Exactly! To me this is more of a bonus to play DTS-HD MA. TrueHD decoded will be just fine.

Yes, bitstream (or decode if it's really there) of DTS-MA is the really big deal here.