Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- jarwha - 2012-02-09

voip-ninja Wrote:ION does not support DTS-MA bitstream.

So it is time for another htpc....

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-09

voip-ninja Wrote:Daniela, is there any chance you can create a new build based on Beta 3 that also includes the DTS-MA timing fix that is mentioned in post 238?

I'd like to see that, along with the global audio delay patch added as well if possible.

If Daniela isn't available to do maybe Damien will merge it if he gets a chance, and maybe adding in the audio delay fix for 24p movies too would be sweet.

jarwha Wrote:So it is time for another htpc....

For £178 you can get a HD audio version or you can get the more expensive Asrock 3D ion. But overall if you want DTS-MA you'll need a newer hdmi/chipset htpc.

I've got AMD HD htpcs and 2 ions too. In all fairness, the difference between the MA audio and the core is only very marginal.

I'm running my rig into a 9.2 Paradigm Reference timber matched config with a Denon 4311ci at the helm. I'm also very very fussy and anally set up my htpc with lasers for pin point accuracy, have began acoustically treating my living room (by using secially coated/insulated art work etc) have duel 320w paradigm reference subs and run a non hd audio and hd audio htpcs in that setup (test rig).

The difference I notice on my equipment is minimal, noticeable, but very minimal in all honesty.

Without starting a debate, I think most home cinemas using entry level equipment probably don't /won't notice a jaw dropping result. The guys in the home cinema thread with actual home cinemas will probably feel/notice it most.

There was a double blind test done by Harmen and a another done by some scientists at an audio research facility that also mentioned the differences were inconsistent and even "trained listeners" struggled to decide which was which on a double blind test.

That said, I do love watching my lights turn on, I do like using the best quality I can if it's free and I do like tinkering with my stuff, so for me I'm all for HD audio... However, if it ment buying a new htpc now, I'd probably choose to wait until it was fully complete and Integrated into xbmc before i slapped down cash for such an upgrade... Your not really losing anything by not having it today (IMO).

- Mati24 - 2012-02-09

On the play information (key O), this is DTS HD in 1516kbps like the normal DTS, is it normal or not ? Thank you

- a11599 - 2012-02-09

dts-ma has a higher bitrate, the codec info shows the bitrate of core. I think it was not updated. Bitrate is only important for lossy compressions. For lossless compression (and LPCM) it is a completely irrelevant and does not tell anything about audio quality. Just ignore it. If you want to make sure, check what your receiver tells you. If it displays dts-ma, you can be sure you got the "real thing".

- thrak76 - 2012-02-09

bluray Wrote:If you want to order a new GPU, I was going to suggest AMD for Windows instead. It seem to work better with W7+XBMC. This $35 (SAPPHIRE 100322L Radeon HD 6450 1GB) should be able to playback BD in full 1080P video, bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD and 3D too!

That's the same card that I just installed. It was $5 cheaper last week. Still a great deal either way. Plus, i already had the latest CCC installed, so it was just plug 'n play for me!

- Mati24 - 2012-02-09

a11599 Wrote:dts-ma has a higher bitrate, the codec info shows the bitrate of core. I think it was not updated. Bitrate is only important for lossy compressions. For lossless compression (and LPCM) it is a completely irrelevant and does not tell anything about audio quality. Just ignore it. If you want to make sure, check what your receiver tells you. If it displays dts-ma, you can be sure you got the "real thing".

My receiver says dts ma so it's good, thank you

- DDDamian - 2012-02-10

PatrickBateman Wrote:If Daniela isn't available to do maybe Damien will merge it if he gets a chance, and maybe adding in the audio delay fix for 24p movies too would be sweet.

My ears were burning Laugh

XBMC Beta 3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay

Taken today from master plus DanielaE's HD audio patch + a11599's timing correction and global AV delay, compiled with installer.

You might find it a little zippier too Cool

Good work all.

EDIT: Updated link to latest of DanielaE's patches - improves TrueHD sync and fixes spash screen to reflect HD-Audio version.

- discinabq - 2012-02-10

RIGHT ON DDDamian!

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-10

DDDamian Wrote:My ears were burning Laugh

Taken today from master plus DanielaE's HD audio patch + a11599's timing correction and global AV delay, compiled with installer.

Good work all.

I love you Damian <swoon> Laugh

This build will see me for a while Smile Fantastic! Absolutely fantastic!

Ps
Why will we find it snappier?... What did you do Damian... c'mon, tell us... What the hell did you do Wink Did you add a turbo or a power boost valve or something?

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-10

Good work all.

You are a rock star, going to test this out ASAP!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-10

I wanted to confirm that this new patch that DDDamian has produced is working fantastically.

1. XBMC Eden Beta 3
2. DTS-MA bitstream! (w00t!)
3. lip sync timing fix for 24p
4. Audio offset fix so even an hour+ into a DTS-MA movie, no frame drops

This is just about perfect. If a fix could be found to the issue affecting some True HD rips it would be... but in the meantime I am perfectly happy bit-streaming DTS-MA and sending True HD as PCM.

Thanks man, it's appreciated!

- htpc guy - 2012-02-10

Good work all.

Just installed. Then I realized a huge problemShocked

Graphics card that supports HD audio...Check
Receiver that supports HD audio...Check
HD audio content.... Um... Crap. I don't have any. Fail!

Looks like I've got to find my Dark Knight Disk and rip it again w/ the HD TrackRolleyes

Great work on getting this out though. Can't wait to test it for real. So far no issues playing my current, non HD content.

- bluray - 2012-02-10

@ DDDamian- good works, and it's good stuff! Thanks.

- bluray - 2012-02-10

htpc guy Wrote:Just installed. Then I realized a huge problemShocked

Graphics card that supports HD audio...Check
Receiver that supports HD audio...Check
HD audio content.... Um... Crap. I don't have any. Fail!

Looks like I've got to find my Dark Knight Disk and rip it again w/ the HD TrackRolleyes

Great work on getting this out though. Can't wait to test it for real. So far no issues playing my current, non HD content.
Copy and paste M2TS to the storage, and you are good to go! Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-10

I think that it is ready for primetime!