Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- solidsatras - 2012-02-11

htpc guy Wrote:I did scrape with Ember. Maybe thats my problem.

I think so, even v1.3.0.2 doesn´t know anything about HD audio codecs.
Ember audio mapping

I couldn´t figure out how to map dtshd in Ember since dts and dtshd seem to have the same codec ID.
MediaInfo DTS/DTSHD
Maybe someone is able to figure this out.

- bluray - 2012-02-11

charlievoviii Wrote:bad move. XBMC have better support for Nvidia. you loose
For XBMC+W7+HD Audio, AMD GPU is better. If you have HD6570, I'll trade my GT430 with you. My Nvidia GT430 suffer macroblocking issue when FF/RW movie, and my AMD HD6450/HD5570 don't have this issue.

- bluray - 2012-02-11

voip-ninja Wrote:Video card recommendations and back-and-forth like this should BOTH be kept out of an otherwise great thread, all this does is pollute the thread.
As long as it is relating to bitstreaming, I thought that the information is valuable to this thread! Smile

- a11599 - 2012-02-11

No. This is the development forum. Discuss hardware in the hardware section.

- Ned Scott - 2012-02-11

bluray Wrote:As long as it is relating to bitstreaming, I thought that the information is valuable to this thread! Smile

Considering that you can't have HD audio without the hardware that supports HD audio, I'm inclined to agree.

There have only been a small handful of such posts, anyways, but I'm more than happy to have even more posts debating the issue.

EDIT: I'm still not sure what the issue is, but I'll yield to a11599's judgment on this matter.

- a11599 - 2012-02-11

Ok, here is the suggestion: success / issue reports mentioning hardware is OK. "What to buy to get this working": please keep this discussed in the hardware forum (opening a new topic with recommendations there is welcome). This patch aims to be general so should work with any hardware that supports HD audio anyways. If someone needs assistance, then please just point him/her to the related hardware thread. Please avoid discussing this here in the future, the thread is already quite long.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-11

DDDamian Wrote:My ears were burning Laugh

XBMC Beta 3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay

Taken today from master plus DanielaE's HD audio patch + a11599's timing correction and global AV delay, compiled with installer.

You might find it a little zippier too Cool

Good work all.

Up to 540d/l's. Perhaps if we keep the hardware discussion to what is known to work and what issues are observed rather than which is better it will help everyone. I for one have fantastic results with an ATI6450 - no issues at all.

I'd like to point out too that the tweaks making this happen are the work of DanielaE and a11599 specifically (not to mention the incredible work of XBMC itself) - props to all.

Also, correcting one issue (my bad) here's a better splash screen - didn't mean to upload the one with my name in it - this one just acknowledges that it's the HD Audio Version of B3: http://www.mediafire.com/?a093b42zofyacpq

Place it in \Program Files (x86)\XBMC\Media\splash.png. I have many builds on my test rig so I label the splash screen for my own benefit - not to have splashed on your screens lol

- DDDamian - 2012-02-11

a11599 Wrote:Ok, here is the suggestion: success / issue reports mentioning hardware is OK. "What to buy to get this working": please keep this discussed in the hardware forum (opening a new topic with recommendations there is welcome). This patch aims to be general so should work with any hardware that supports HD audio anyways. If someone needs assistance, then please just point him/her to the related hardware thread. Please avoid discussing this here in the future, the thread is already quite long.

heh heh - posted at the same time with the same idea - quite right.

New build - DanielaE - 2012-02-11

Hi folks,

after a time-consuming series of experiments to fix the Dolby-TrueHD stutter issue I have to concede that I have run out of ideas. It seems to me that this is caused by packet output jitter which leads to missing deadlines in the external decoder due to the large MAT frame sizes. Upgrading the output renderers to an event driven approach is possibly the correct solution - as AE does.

Beyond that, I've added a small piece of code to address the problems with calculating audio frame duration - not only for DTS but the other audio formats as well. The current state of affairs should be better now in this regard.

And finally there's a new build available, based on the latest trunk code. I've updated the download link in the initial post of this thread to match these changes.

- bluray - 2012-02-11

DanielaE Wrote:Hi folks,

after a time-consuming series of experiments to fix the Dolby-TrueHD stutter issue I have to concede that I have run out of ideas.
I downloaded and installed the version that DDDamian compiled "XBMC Beta 3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay". I watched 2 BD's with TrueHD "it's ISO ripped using AnyDVD HD" on AsRock E350M1/GT430 and Onkyo HT-RC270. I didn't encounter stutter issue. I'm I lucky or what? Smile

- DanielaE - 2012-02-11

You have been lucky! Smile

I can see this issue in rare cases only, and there is no recipe to trigger it on my rig in a reproducable way. For example, I ran all of my test files against the build that I've recently posted - and there have been no noticable issues with Dolby TrueHD.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-11

DanielaE Wrote:Upgrading the output renderers to an event driven approach is possibly the correct solution - as AE does.

Hi Daniela - code looks a little more streamlined that way too - using the switch/case to set more of the specifics per codec. Not sure if the hi-def formats should always be 8-channel, but it's the most reasonable fallback position.

I did the event-driven loop in the AE code and it is a better route than the timed buffer method. Added a timing routine as well to flag if the AddPackets function is called too late or just barely in time so the buffer size could be fine-tuned to meet the user's hardware capabilities. Hard-coded some minimum buffer sizes but then let the user adjust via advancedsettings.xml. All that's in the AE code though.

- a11599 - 2012-02-11

DanielaE Wrote:Beyond that, I've added a small piece of code to address the problems with calculating audio frame duration - not only for DTS but the other audio formats as well. The current state of affairs should be better now in this regard.

Very nice! Smile

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-11

DanielaE Wrote:You have been lucky! Smile

I can see this issue in rare cases only, and there is no recipe to trigger it on my rig in a reproducable way. For example, I ran all of my test files against the build that I've recently posted - and there have been no noticable issues with Dolby TrueHD.

It is pretty reproducible if you rip a True-HD title with MakeMKV, or, perhaps I missed it and you were saying you had fixed that issue.

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-11

DanielaE Wrote:Hi folks,

after a time-consuming series of experiments to fix the Dolby-TrueHD stutter issue I have to concede that I have run out of ideas. It seems to me that this is caused by packet output jitter which leads to missing deadlines in the external decoder due to the large MAT frame sizes. Upgrading the output renderers to an event driven approach is possibly the correct solution - as AE does.

Beyond that, I've added a small piece of code to address the problems with calculating audio frame duration - not only for DTS but the other audio formats as well. The current state of affairs should be better now in this regard.

And finally there's a new build available, based on the latest trunk code. I've updated the download link in the initial post of this thread to match these changes.

DDD are your ears burning yet Wink
I hear a gaggle of geeks asking for a patched build update Smile