Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-12

PatrickBateman Wrote:DDD are your ears burning yet Wink
I hear a gaggle of geeks asking for a patched build update Smile

Lol - I've browsed the changes and merged in one build but want to test and see if I see any improvement. It seems like DTS-MA is already fine, just not TrueHD. If it improves TrueHD I may post a build. Just don't want too many builds out there, nor introduce issues from master commits as the previous build seems very good.

- reta - 2012-02-12

Hi, I'm trying to test this out, but my receiver still shows "Dolby Digital" and there's just one (non-hd) audio track to choose from in xbmc when checking the audio screen during playback. I think I have the correct settings, I know I have a receiver that supports hd audio, the name of the file is exactly the same as the movie and in the same directory but with a .dtsma ending instead of .mkv. What am I doing wrong/missing?

edit: I'm assuming I don't need the w7 codec pack and the shark007 thingie that bluray mentioned somewhere, since that's for external players and this patch makes hd audio playback possible in xbmc itself, right?

- ArieS - 2012-02-12

Check your file with MediaInfo to see if it indeed contains a HD track.
Also your file doesn't need to be named .dtsma to work, .mkv is enough

- reta - 2012-02-12

ArieS Wrote:Check your file with MediaInfo to see if it indeed contains a HD track.
Also your file doesn't need to be named .dtsma to work, .mkv is enough

Not supposed to be two files? One mkv with the video and one dtsma/truehd containing the audio, or did I miss something?

- ArieS - 2012-02-12

No
A mkv is a container so everything should be inside.

- ArieS - 2012-02-12

What did you use to rip your movie btw?

- reta - 2012-02-12

ArieS Wrote:No
A mkv is a container so everything should be inside.

Alright, never played with stuff like that. Any program you could recommend?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-12

reta Wrote:Alright, never played with stuff like that. Any program you could recommend?

Sounds like MakeMKV is causing some issues - give TSMuxer a go and rip it to an m2ts file.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-12

Most of my collection is ripped with MAkeMKV and works fine. Reta, have you ever ripped a blu ray disc before?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-12

Did a test on Daniela's recent patch and noticed improved sync on TrueHD Big Grin
Limited test material here but a noticeable difference. Let everyone know if this seems to have fixed TrueHD sync on your rig - if not maybe I can add in the event-driven technique we used for AE.

Here's the all-inclusive, optimized version:

XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay with updated splash screen.

Thanks for this Damian, I will wait for someone to confirm if the MakeMKV True-HD tracks are fixed before upgrading to this, since I am pretty happy with the workaround of just sending True-HD as bitstream for now.

- ArieS - 2012-02-12

I'll test with MakeMKV when I'm back from work and let y'all know!

- DanielaE - 2012-02-12

DDDamian Wrote:Hi Daniela - code looks a little more streamlined that way too - using the switch/case to set more of the specifics per codec. Not sure if the hi-def formats should always be 8-channel, but it's the most reasonable fallback position.
It's more a matter of correctly modeling reality rather than fallback, to be precise. Wink The background is the HDMI transport protocol which carries either exactly one IEC 60958 audio stream in its multiplex, or four of them. This relates to a 2-channel or a 8-channel sample structure at the interface level. The true number of output channels in a given audio stream is determined by out-of-band 'valid' flags in case of LPCM or in-band signaling in case of the various encoded formats according to IEC 61937.

Guys, I realize this is not a support thread, but considering the number of smart people here, can anyone explain to me why this is sometimes happening after I play a movie back and return to the XBMC menu I was in? It does not happen from the main Aeon menu, only the movies/tv/videos, etc, menus and it has happened in all Eden builds, but never in Dharma;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cssQNlqBkPk

- ArieS - 2012-02-12

After testing the new build with a few TrueHD movies made with MakeMKV I can report that Daniela is simply a goddess Big Grin
No more stuttering or out of sync audio.

Thanks a lot for your hard work Daniela and thanks to Damian for compiling a few versions as well as posting the trick for smooth fanart cycling, I had no idea about that and the difference is night and day!