Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- thrak76 - 2012-02-12

Confirmed. I had issues with TrueHD sync, and this latest build has everything playing back rock solid.
Thanks a lot guys!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-13

Hey Damian, just a head's up on the newest build you posted. Initially it seemed as though it had fixed the problems with playing back Dolby True-HD tracks that were ripped with MakeMKV. They do play "normally" now (where as before they were unwatchable) but I am getting periodic audio glitches that sound like very brief audio drops. It is very similar to the problems that Boxee has with HD audio dropout.

I realize that you simply compiled a new version that included Daniela's timing fix (and I very much appreciate your efforts), but I just wanted to let you know that for Dolby True, looks like it's not quite at 100% yet.

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-13

voip-ninja Wrote:Hey Damian, just a head's up on the newest build you posted. Initially it seemed as though it had fixed the problems with playing back Dolby True-HD tracks that were ripped with MakeMKV. They do play "normally" now (where as before they were unwatchable) but I am getting periodic audio glitches that sound like very brief audio drops. It is very similar to the problems that Boxee has with HD audio dropout.

I realize that you simply compiled a new version that included Daniela's timing fix (and I very much appreciate your efforts), but I just wanted to let you know that for Dolby True, looks like it's not quite at 100% yet.
Voip-ninja, care to post a sample of one of the files that aren't working. Reason I ask is that I have several files, with TrueHD tracks, ripped using MakeMKV which are rock solid with the new build and show none of your reported issues.

- gr021857 - 2012-02-13

hi all, first post here but long time follower and would like to say great work not only on this but all the work that goes into xbmc!

Now on to the topic and business at hand, I haven't seen anyone report this with Damian's build so here we go: All my rips are now playing fine (the first time I ran xbmc after installing it wouldn't initialize the sound device but then after a reboot it has been fine since).

All my rips, TrueHD/DTS-MA are playing brilliantly the problem is when I press Stop, their is a constant "buzzing" its hard to explain, like the speakers are constantly being sent a signal but it goes up and down so you can hear it changing. This continues until I play another file, if its an HD audio file and I click stop again the noise will return, if it is a non HD file the sound disappears.

My setup is as follows: Gigabyte GA-E350N, bitstreaming to a Denon AV1610 - settings are what have been posted as screen shots already, minus drop/dupe audio as I've never noticed a problem that required turning it on.

I'm on the official AMD driver from around christmas, not checked for an update but will do that when I get home tonight.

Any ideas would be welcome as otherwise it is perfect and I'd use it for day to day use.

- bluray - 2012-02-13

voip-ninja Wrote:It is very similar to the problems that Boxee has with HD audio dropout..
If the audio droupout is similar to Boxee, it isn't good then and it is similar to others encountered with the July version too. Oh, by the way I returned Boxee Box a little over a year ago because of HD audio droupout isssues! :mad:

What did you used to rip your BD? Maybe, you can try to rip it with AnyDVD HD "free trial version".

- bluray - 2012-02-13

gr021857 Wrote:All my rips, TrueHD/DTS-MA are playing brilliantly the problem is when I press Stop, their is a constant "buzzing" its hard to explain, like the speakers are constantly being sent a signal but it goes up and down so you can hear it changing. This continues until I play another file, if its an HD audio file and I click stop again the noise will return, if it is a non HD file the sound disappears.
Is it okay when you use other players (PDVD, TMT, MPC-HC) for bitstreaming?

- gr021857 - 2012-02-13

bluray Wrote:Is it okay when you use other players (PDVD, TMT, MPC-HC) for bitstreaming?

I've only ever used MPC-HC for bitstreaming and its been flawless. One thing I've just thought of that I didn't check is if the noise stops when I close xbmc, will test that this evening.

Also in case anyone asks, I have menu sounds turned off.

- DanielaE - 2012-02-13

gr021857 Wrote:TrueHD/DTS-MA are playing brilliantly the problem is when I press Stop, their is a constant "buzzing" its hard to explain, like the speakers are constantly being sent a signal but it goes up and down so you can hear it changing. This continues until I play another file, if its an HD audio file and I click stop again the noise will return, if it is a non HD file the sound disappears.

My setup is as follows: Gigabyte GA-E350N, bitstreaming to a Denon AV1610

Being an engineer (running the same mobo in my test setup), I'd advise to run the following tests:

1. Try my build instead, just to sort out the odds that this is due to DDDamians additions on top of my code patch (which is more geared towards staying as close to mainline code as possible).
  2. Try Realtek's HDMI driver instead of AMD's. I haven't heard residual sound with neither of them in my tests, though.

steelman1991 Wrote:Voip-ninja, care to post a sample of one of the files that aren't working. Reason I ask is that I have several files, with TrueHD tracks, ripped using MakeMKV which are rock solid with the new build and show none of your reported issues.

The problem only occurs every 10-20 minutes and is random, so I don't know that a sample would help. It could also be an issue with the intel onboard graphics. I don't have an off board video card to test with at the moment. The good news is tha DTS-MA appears to be flawless.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-13

I tried reproducing this on my rig and can't. Using a TrueHD file @24fps ripped with MakeMKV - tried pause/stop/re-start/seek - can't reproduce.

Here's my video settings:

Note also that I am not using the 24p Global Delay settings in advancedsettings.xml - I don't get the ~200msec delay on my rig.

I can only suggest the following: try Daniela's build as she suggested, try a blank advancedsettings.xml to eliminate the Global AV Delay as a source of the issue, try the video settings above, or revert to the previous build.

I don't see anything in the master branch commits added between builds that might explain this. If someone having the problem can try the steps above it may help narrow it down.

- bluray - 2012-02-13

DanielaE Wrote:Being an engineer (running the same mobo in my test setup), I'd advise to run the following tests:

1. Try my build instead, just to sort out the odds that this is due to DDDamians additions on top of my code patch (which is more geared towards staying as close to mainline code as possible).
  2. Try Realtek's HDMI driver instead of AMD's. I haven't heard residual sound with neither of them in my tests, though.
I'm using DDDamian version on my HTPC's with the latest AMD driver. I tried several BD's with TrueHD audio, and it was fine. I'm not sure that your suggestions is going to make any different! Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-13

gr021857 Wrote:I've only ever used MPC-HC for bitstreaming and its been flawless. One thing I've just thought of that I didn't check is if the noise stops when I close xbmc, will test that this evening.

Also in case anyone asks, I have menu sounds turned off.
Okay, just want to make sure that it is playback okay with other player. It's related to XBMC then! Huh

- DDDamian - 2012-02-13

Strange things can happen due to commits to the master trunk as well, so we can't rule anything out unless someone with the issue can go through the steps above.

I'm just hearing from my friends over at VoxCommando (a great app allowing voice control of XBMC) that somewhere between Beta 2 and now EventGhost keyboard emulation was broken, so sometimes glitches get introduced unintentionally. Need someone who can reproduce to follow those steps - that's the point of developmental releases Wink

voip-ninja Wrote:The problem only occurs every 10-20 minutes and is random, so I don't know that a sample would help. It could also be an issue with the intel onboard graphics. I don't have an off board video card to test with at the moment. The good news is tha DTS-MA appears to be flawless.

It could also be a problem with the track itself. I will see if I can find another newer title with True-HD to test with.

- GreenEyez - 2012-02-13

Regarding the buzzing sound , I have the same issue with a E350 and Denon 2310, it happened before with DSPlayer and ffdshow and now it happens with your build Daniela (not DDDamians build, to be clear, haven`t tried his build yet). Audio Engine was fine, didn`t exibit this behaviour, same as the normal Eden beta, and MPC-HC + LAV or ffdshow

Anyway, the workaround is to turn ON the menu sounds, any new audio stream that gets sent to the receiver will kill the buzzing noise, so even moving right/left in the menus after you end the movie will fix it.

I`m using the 11.12 drivers and the ATI HDMI driver, i`ll try to update to 12.1 tomorrow and see if it goes away.