Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- gr021857 - 2012-02-13

DanielaE Wrote:Being an engineer (running the same mobo in my test setup), I'd advise to run the following tests:

1. Try my build instead, just to sort out the odds that this is due to DDDamians additions on top of my code patch (which is more geared towards staying as close to mainline code as possible).
  2. Try Realtek's HDMI driver instead of AMD's. I haven't heard residual sound with neither of them in my tests, though.

I'm home, tried your version DanielaE but still the same. Tried your second idea though and I can't believe it, I thought AMD had ironed out all the bugs with their version of the driver. BUT low and behold using: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false option ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.67 2011/12/16 21405k
*Had to force install the Vista driver via Have Disk as it said it didn't recognise a compatible device via setup

I reloaded xbmc (both DanielaE and Damien's) and they both work, no buzzing after stopping a file.

Thank you all for the quick and supportive replies, much appreciated. This can now be used as far as I am concerned as a daily build, no issues at all now.

Also just for reference in regards to my last post about whether the buzzing stops after I close xbmc, it does not it will continue on as Greeneyez rightly says until any sound is played regardless of if xbmc is open or not so definitely seems to be some kind of disconnection issue when the sound ends.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-13

Sounds like the driver just looped the final buffer ad nauseum. I'm pretty sure Bluray, Daniela and I are all using latest drivers from AMD or RealTek. My current driver (as mentioned in previous posts) is the AMD 7.12.0.7705 dated 12/6/2011, and rock-solid. No 24p sync issues, no specific sample rate issues, just works.

I've switched back to AE work here, so I don't have this builds WASAPI code in front of me, but perhaps a hard flush of the buffer when the stream stops would correct the issue.

- bluray - 2012-02-13

DDDamian Wrote:My current driver (as mentioned in previous posts) is the AMD 7.12.0.7705 dated 12/6/2011, and rock-solid. No 24p sync issues, no specific sample rate issues, just works..
I'm using the latest AMD 12.1 version, and it's rock-solid on both HD6450 and HD5570 cards. The latest Nvidia driver is rock-solid on my GT430 card too! Smile

truehd dropouts - paolov74 - 2012-02-14

@DDDamian,

first, thanks for your efforts in xbmc hd audio development. Your build is very close to perfection, at least for my rig (E350).

Your latest build has corrected TRUEHD sync, but introduced (as reported by voip-ninja) TRUEHD audio dropouts every 42 seconds.

Yes, I have sync playback to video enabled with drop/dupe method. Your previous build had sync issues but no dropouts...settings were the same.

DTS-HDMA / DTS / AC3 playback are perfect! no dropouts, no frame drop, just REAL CINEMA experience! I prefer to go back to this build - XBMCSetup-20120209-02ff9d2-dx.exe - and adjust truehd movies sync one by one.

And, BTW, scaling options are wonderful. I like spline36 optimized as my system can handle it without hitchs or drops.

Thanks again and good work!

I forgot to mention: I'm playing 23.976 bluray folders @24 hz refresh rate. Only TRUEHD gives me this problems, other formats play fine.

- anthonykappa - 2012-02-14

I haven't experienced any dropouts with TrueHD and also no buzzing here.

DDDamian's installer. Asrock E350 with latest AMD/ATi drivers. Yamaha AV receiver.

Thanks for the patch. Great work =D

- paolov74 - 2012-02-14

@anthonykappa

do you sync video to refresh rate or not?

I'm "speeding up" 23.976 fps video to 24 fps....maybe this cause the 42 second drop...

- anthonykappa - 2012-02-14

Adjust display refresh rate to match video - Off
Sync playback to display - Off

I'm not very technical with refresh rates etc so I leave all that on default. Also I don't think my tv supports proper 1080p24.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-14

I agree, that the 'adjust display refresh rate to match video' and 'sync playback to display' options are likely responsible for the audio drops I am seeing with True-HD.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-14

Try the video settings in the screenshot a few posts back - then there's no messing with refresh rates and syncs.

FYI, while I have a very strong interest in HD audio my work is more with the AudioEngine branch. The incredible work you see in these builds is by the OP - DanielaE. From out of the blue she posted a very workable solution with far less extensive changes to the main code than the upcoming AudioEngine which is a complete re-write affecting many of the modules XBMC is comprised of.

Her solution gets anyone with compatible hardware and Windows the latest BD audio formats here and now, and has been very robust given the feedback here!

efforts - paolov74 - 2012-02-14

@DDDamian

sure...DanielA made an excellent work, and you wonderfully finalized it with nice patches.

BTW, DanielA's build is excellent in HD Audio passthrough, but not with "sync to refresh" option on: DDDamian's build corrected (at least, for my rig) this wrong behaviour giving me a 0 frame drop refresh synced play throughout a whole movie.

Before, only DSPlayer+lavfilters+reclock let me achieved this result.

Bye

DDDamian Wrote:Try the video settings in the screenshot a few posts back - then there's no messing with refresh rates and syncs.

FYI, while I have a very strong interest in HD audio my work is more with the AudioEngine branch. The incredible work you see in these builds is by the OP - DanielaE. From out of the blue she posted a very workable solution with far less extensive changes to the main code than the upcoming AudioEngine which is a complete re-write affecting many of the modules XBMC is comprised of.

Her solution gets anyone with compatible hardware and Windows the latest BD audio formats here and now, and has been very robust given the feedback here!

I don't understand how, with the video settings you posted previously, you can get proper 23.976 refresh. Can you explain this a little more?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-14

voip-ninja Wrote:I don't understand how, with the video settings you posted previously, you can get proper 23.976 refresh. Can you explain this a little more?

Just by letting the internal video clock handle it. Big Grin I'm not forcing XBMC to match or re-sync anything.

Okay, so basically you just tolerate frame drops. I have not seen a video card that can do 23.976 precisely enough that you won't get at least one or two frame drops during a feature length movie.

For me, personally, I find frame drops very very annoying, and do everything I can to avoid them.

- paolov74 - 2012-02-14

@voip-ninja

I totally agree with you. I would trade hd audio for 0 frame drop. Why would reclock be so popular among htpc users?

I watch movies on a 60" 24p capable plasma tv, and framedrop throws away my attention from the movie.

Syncing with refresh, for me, is a must I can't live without.

Cheers

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-14

Hey guys,

I seem to be the round peg here as I sync to audio clock, sync to display and change refresh rate to match video.

By using all 3 I get no audio drop drop outs (as its sync to audio) and as I sync to display and change refresh I gt very minimal video frame drop, but to be honest, they tend to happen when I blink as I never see them physically (hardly) but I do see them (now and again) if I check my OSD toward the end of a movie.

Have you tried ebb,ing all of these|

Adjust display refresh rate to match video (enabled)
Sync play back to display (enabled)
A/v sync method (audio clock)

This seems to work incredibly well for me? On my ATI (which supports HD audio bit streaming) and my ion which supports 7.1 PCM (but not truehd or dtsma bitstream)

Obviously ymmv but it could be worth a try, but I do notice many sync to video which causes drops or dupes and that would annoy me more than 1 frame every 90minuts that could be misinterpreted as a fancy edit or a blink Smile