Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-14

Hi Patrick,

Yes, those are my default options, as with those options, the latest Intel drivers for my i3 iGPU, and builds since 10.1, I have been able to get solid video playback with no frame drops (the Intel iGPU is now reasonably close to 23.976, I think it's 23.978 now).

DTS-MA works perfectly, my wife and I watched Jurassic Park (ripped from BD to MKV file) and did not suffer one audio dropout or frame dropped during the entire movie using this latest build.

However, playing Kung-Fu Panda 2, with the Dolby True track, I do get periodic moments where the audio drops briefly, for perhaps 1/5 of a second (still annoying).

I do not seem to get the behavior when I set True-HD to PCM, so that's my workaround for now.

- disco277 - 2012-02-14

Hi All,

I've read the last 10 pages or so and I'm still confused as to what the consensus is for the best package, DanielA or DDaimians. I am currently using DDaimians with the fixes, however then I think DanielA updated hers also to incorporate some changes...

So confused!!!

- bertrandr - 2012-02-14

First time poster -long time lurker...

I have tried this new build (DDDamian's XBMC Beta 3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay) + MQ3 skin and I personally have finally found what I have been looking for -for years!
Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this excellent piece of work espcially DanielaE & DDDamian.

I am using a custom built mini-atx Zacate E350, Win7, latest HD drivers with HDMI only output.
Menu's are snappy and playback is smooth and crystal clear. I have tested all my DTS-MA & True-HD sources, streaming 35GB mkv's over a wired network from my server is perfect.

Living in Canada, unfortunately I cannot use the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" settings since my TV does not support PAL and quite a few of my TV shows (BBC) and some movies are in PAL format. I am forced to use the internal reclock method "Sync playback to display" but it seems to work fine for me so far...

Is there any way to use the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" as a default option and fall back to "Sync playback to display" automagically for PAL content? -That would truly be perfect (or I'm not understanding something)

My setup:

HTPC: Custom mini-itx Zacate E350, Win 7, SSD >HDMI>
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1800 >HDMI>
TV: 46" Samsung 6-Series LCD
Listening on: Klipsh F2's (6.1)
Server: Windows Home Server (5 Tb custom build)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-14

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, so basically you just tolerate frame drops. I have not seen a video card that can do 23.976 precisely enough that you won't get at least one or two frame drops during a feature length movie.

For me, personally, I find frame drops very very annoying, and do everything I can to avoid them.

Might be time for a hardware upgrade Laugh I just watched ~2hrs of AC/DC Live at River Plate in 1080p with the refresh rate synced to the content @23.976

Dropped 14 packets during initial start, not one after that. Not using re-clock or madvr - straight up.

Here's a review of some cards and their refresh rate capabilities done in June 2011 (older drivers). Mine clocks in @ 23.977hz but as the reviewer suggests with a standard deviation it's slightly less, so almost bang-on the 23.976 rate.

Here's my card specifically in action.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-14

bertrandr Wrote:Is there any way to use the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" as a default option and fall back to "Sync playback to display" automagically for PAL content?

Not without a very clever script :o but congrats on the first post for ya here Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-15

Perhap, can it related to CPU/GPU driver? I counted several users in here with the same AsRock E350M1 mobo as mine. It seems to playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio without issue on this mobo. Huh

Or, maybe we are just got lucky! Smile

Here are my configurations- post #30.

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-15

DDDamian Wrote:Might be time for a hardware upgrade Laugh I just watched ~2hrs of AC/DC Live at River Plate in 1080p with the refresh rate synced to the content @23.976

Dropped 14 packets during initial start, not one after that. Not using re-clock or madvr - straight up.

Here's a review of some cards and their refresh rate capabilities done in June 2011 (older drivers). Mine clocks in @ 23.977hz but as the reviewer suggests with a standard deviation it's slightly less, so almost bang-on the 23.976 rate.

These are exactly the type of results I see with my card as well DDDamian - initial packet loss, then rock solid playback. Skipping introduces again a slight packet loss, not really noticeable, then again solid playback.

This is running an ATI 5670 with 12.1 CCC and in both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD formats

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-15

DDDamian Wrote:Might be time for a hardware upgrade Laugh I just watched ~2hrs of AC/DC Live at River Plate in 1080p with the refresh rate synced to the content @23.976

Okay, that's good to know. The intel gpu is not the best for sync, but honestly after their last round of driver updates it's not terribly worse than Nvidia or ATI. Every video card I have tested has dropped frames at 23.976.

You say you are "watching content with refresh synced to content" yet in the setup pic you posted a couple of pages back you had the sync options all disabled. Do you set your desktop to 1080p/24?

Anyways, I'm sure there are better hardware options out there for sync, but I've actually been very very happy with how well the i3 has handled everything I have thrown at it. Having to sync it with XBMC to avoid dropping frames is normally not a cause for concern.

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-15

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, that's good to know. The intel gpu is not the best for sync, but honestly after their last round of driver updates it's not terribly worse than Nvidia or ATI. Every video card I have tested has dropped frames at 23.976.

You say you are "watching content with refresh synced to content" yet in the setup pic you posted a couple of pages back you had the sync options all disabled. Do you set your desktop to 1080p/24?

Anyways, I'm sure there are better hardware options out there for sync, but I've actually been very very happy with how well the i3 has handled everything I have thrown at it. Having to sync it with XBMC to avoid dropping frames is normally not a cause for concern.
Good spot - that would be another reason why DDDamian wouldn't be seeing any audio delay (as quoted in his post) - I don't get it either if I run at either 50/60hz. Change to 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Video' (24hz) and "Bingo" audio delay.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-15

voip-ninja Wrote:You say you are "watching content with refresh synced to content" yet in the setup pic you posted a couple of pages back you had the sync options all disabled. Do you set your desktop to 1080p/24?

The pic posted is how I normally run - I only did the refresh sync to content to have hard numbers to give you. The desktop settings are irrelevent on my main rig as the "desktop" is the TV and the capabilities are all sent back from the TV thru the amp to the GPU via HDMI handshaking. So the TV & amp will report that they handle 1080/24p and 1080/60p. The GPU can override them to settings I give it as need be.

@STEELMAN - exactly, there are some sync issues on start and skip as the code has to search packets for sync frames to lock on to. That cannot be avoided, nor is it really an issue.

We got pretty far off-topic here, but given the discussion wandered to dropped frames I wanted to let you know what is working well. Bluray has probably had hundreds of posts over the last year recommending the same GPU series, which for $35 solves a lot of issues.

For those who can't live with the dropped frames (just like I can't live without my 24bit audio lol) try this card or try the Re-Clock route. I can tell you which is easier Laugh

I will try to avoid taking it further off topic, but reclock is not necessary. The sync options in XBMC are more than capable of achieving perfect sync of audio and video with a 23.976 display without having to bring reclock into the picture.

If the price to pay for that is that True-HD doesn't work quite right when bit streamed, I'm willing to live with that.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-15

voip-ninja Wrote:If the price to pay for that is that True-HD doesn't work quite right when bit streamed, I'm willing to live with that.

Perfect on my rig bitstreamed Smile and if decode to LPCM works on yours then that's excellent - you are losing nothing if it's a 16bit TrueHD track not 24bit. Even AE decoding of TrueHD is currently at 16bit, passthrough or bitstreaming is the only way to get 24bit TrueHD. Unless it's a blue-ray concert with a great singer on a decent stereo I don't think you're missing anything though!

- DDDamian - 2012-02-15

@voip-ninja - try one thing? Turn off or disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" and try your TrueHD bitstream again.

DDDamian Wrote:@voip-ninja - try one thing? Turn off or disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" and try your TrueHD bitstream again.

Already have it set to disabled for fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen. I have not had a chance to test again this evening, but I will try to test tomorrow and I can post a debug log of the dropouts as well as the settings I am using. Thanks for offering to help.

- mrhyde1969 - 2012-02-15

Hi,

Since using this version when I pull up OSD I see that something else is being displayed 'ae',which is measured in 'ms' This seems to steadily go up that by the end of a 2hr film its showing as 11.1ms. Can anyone explain what this is please?
By the way I am getting no frame drops or audio sync issues Big Grin
My rig is..520gt intel i7, feeding into pioneer amp then passing through to my Pioner KRP600M monitor.