Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:As I said very often, Intel made great CPU but they are behind AMD/Nvidia on GPU. They should have bought Nvidia when they had a chance. Maybe, it's time to spend $35 on HD6450. You'll have more time to enjoy the movie! Smile

You seem to forget that I had an AMD Fusion setup and I sold it. Personally I found that the AMD was not any closer to 23.976 output without clock correction, and that the drivers were a royal PITA to work with (having to turn off over-scan for every single resolution, really??).

I have a hard time believing that the Intel hardware is responsible for this problem, but I suppose it's not impossible. Fortunately PCM decode for True-HD works just fine, and as I've previously reported I don't get the audio dropouts from other bitstream formats such as DTS-MA, DTS, DD 5.1, etc, which is the only reason I brought the issue up. I realize not a lot of people want the video synced perfectly, but I do (I have a 65" plasma and frame drops are very noticeable and annoying and I don't like watching film based content at 60fps, it looks weird with the 3:2 pulldown judder).

I would imagine that developers might like to take a peak at the log file for at least a clue of what's going on, even if it's nothing that they can fix on their end.

- bluray - 2012-02-16

voip-ninja Wrote:You seem to forget that I had an AMD Fusion setup and I sold it. Personally I found that the AMD was not any closer to 23.976 output without clock correction, and that the drivers were a royal PITA to work with (having to turn off over-scan for every single resolution, really??).
Yes, I remember that you had a Fusion but I'm referring to your post #406. I thought that you are trying to get i3+iGPU to work w/ these patches.

My AMD HD5570 and HD6450 seem to work fine with the latest 12.1 driver! Smile

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-16

I am very happy for you. i3 iGPU also supports bitstream of HD audio, although I will concede that the drivers are not the best.

It would still be nice to get it fully working, but this awesome work by Daniela and DDDamian is the closest that I've ever seen to a "100%" solution for my system.

No new hardware for me till Ivy Bridge is out. If Ivy Bridge can do actual 23.976 native output (and the drivers don't suck) I won't have to resort to this reclocking nonsense that I have to do with every other video chipset on the market.

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-16

I've been trying to use DDamian's latest build on an E350 Zacate. Looking at my hdmi sound settings in Windows(using realtek driver) I appear to have no DTSHD-MA option. As result XBMX fails to initialize wasapi audio device.

Anyone have the correct driver for this to work? I know the hardware supports it...

- paolov74 - 2012-02-16

@nikc0069

I own a zacate based system, windows 7 and latest AMD/ATI drivers (no realtek, never installed).

Hdmi cable runs through an Onkyo 608 and then to LG plasma tv.

Never had DTS-HDMA problems in WASAPI/non WASAPI modes: I suggest you to stay with ATI drivers (I watched an entire movie in DTS-HDMA without a single drop).

bye!

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-16

Hmm I might have to uninstall the realtek bits then - I'm also using an Onkyo funnily enough!

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-16

Sorry for this offtopic question, but this is to the Zacate Onkyo guys:

Do you have HDMI handshake issues too? I have an Onkyo SR-706 and almost everytime I turn my htpc on (Foxconn NT-A3500 (E350)) I get no picture. Resume from S3 actually, I hardly turn it off. I have to change inputs on my receiver to reinitialize the handshake before I get a signal. It's no due to this build, I have it all the time. HD Audio rocks by the way. No dropouts whatsoever.

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-16

I only ever switch inputs anyway as everything I have is HDMI so can't help unfortunately.

Could you do me a favour and confirm whether the HDMI audio device has DTSHD-MA listed under the supported formats, and which precise driver you are using for it?

- luckyaua - 2012-02-16

...i've installed DDDamiann package with EDEN beta 3...my system is Win 7 64bit system Wasapi NVIDIA GTX460 connected to Cambridge Audio Azur 650R AVR via HDMI (bitstreaming) link...all works good but i've found 2 little strange issues:
1- If i play a track 5.1 .mlp file the avr recognize stream like DOLBY TRUEHD.
2- If i play mkv file with DTS-HD HR the avr recognize stream like DTS-HD MSTR stream.

2nd issue would be an AVR issue...same problem with MPC-HC!

Ideas?

- paolov74 - 2012-02-16

@nikc0069

I'm using latest AMD/ATI drivers, 12.1, dated 1/25/2012.

Under windows control panel sound properties (Ati HDMI device) all HD/non HD audio formats are listed.

- DanielaE - 2012-02-16

luckyaua Wrote:1- If i play a track 5.1 .mlp file the avr recognize stream like DOLBY TRUEHD.
That's working as designed. MLP and Dolby TrueHD are basically two apples from the same tree (Dolby swallowed Meridian, twiddled some bits and pieces, and re-released MLP under a different name - TrueHD that is). And then, there's the method to push MLP/TrueHD data frames through HDMI to an external decode, which is called MAT (MLP audio transport, standardised in IEC 61937-9), and which doesn't seem to differentiate between MLP and TrueHD (because, as you now know, ...). External decoders (i.e. AVRs) are dumb pieces of hardware which were told (by Dolby) to put the same sticker on both apples (because, as you now know ... Meridian is no longer with us).

luckyaua Wrote:2- If i play mkv file with DTS-HD HR the avr recognize stream like DTS-HD MSTR stream.
Ever bothered to ask MediaInfo if the audio stream is MA or HR? Your Cambridge doesn't care about the filename...

- bluray - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:Sorry for this offtopic question, but this is to the Zacate Onkyo guys:

Do you have HDMI handshake issues too? I have an Onkyo SR-706 and almost everytime I turn my htpc on (Foxconn NT-A3500 (E350)) I get no picture. Resume from S3 actually, I hardly turn it off. I have to change inputs on my receiver to reinitialize the handshake before I get a signal. It's no due to this build, I have it all the time. HD Audio rocks by the way. No dropouts whatsoever.
No handshake problem with my E350. Did you try to set your AVR to pass-through video?

- bluray - 2012-02-16

nikc0069 Wrote:Could you do me a favour and confirm whether the HDMI audio device has DTSHD-MA listed under the supported formats, and which precise driver you are using for it?
You can try to install the latest AMD 12.1 driver from here- AMD Radeon™ Video Card Drivers.

You should be able to see similar to my screen shots below, and it should show AMD HD device on your HTPC:

- luckyaua - 2012-02-16

Quote:Ever bothered to ask MediaInfo if the audio stream is MA or HR? Your Cambridge doesn't care about the filename...

i've download a DTS-HD HR sample here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

..so i'm sure that is DTS-HD HR and not MSTR.

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-16

luckyaua Wrote:i've download a DTS-HD HR sample here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

..so i'm sure that is DTS-HD HR and not MSTR.

The DTS-HD HR samples show up as DTS-HD Hi Res on my Onkyo SR-706. So audio wise it seems to work, the first files that have massive framedrops by the way. The TrueHD samples work fine.

Edit: Don't know if this makes sense, but could the fact that it's a 7.1 demo and I only have a 5.1 setup cause the framedrops?