Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:The DTS-HD HR samples show up as DTS-HD Hi Res on my Onkyo SR-706. So audio wise it seems to work, the first files that have massive framedrops by the way. The TrueHD samples work fine.

I grabbed a sample from there (SFX (Long) (Lossless)) that had a large sync frame glitch near the middle, and it's an "official" DTS-MA sampler lol.

EDIT: PS - just tried a DTS-HR and it does show as such on my Denon, but every receiver is different.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

voip-ninja Wrote:You seem to forget that I had an AMD Fusion setup and I sold it. Personally I found that the AMD was not any closer to 23.976 output without clock correction, and that the drivers were a royal PITA to work with (having to turn off over-scan for every single resolution, really??).

I have a hard time believing that the Intel hardware is responsible for this problem, but I suppose it's not impossible.

Remember that just a few years ago this simply wasn't possible on home hardware, and it was a very small subset of PC users who embraced the PC as a high-quality playback device.

Despite your previous issues with AMD (I used to be an nVidia guy) we're just reporting what does work, and right now it seems the Intel hardware has the most trouble with these codecs. That's a recurring theme in this thread and many others related to I3 especially.

I'm tempted to say the AMD/nVidia's do a better job of smoothing frames as well - I can't see noticeable flicker or stutter if I do drop a video frame. I've had no issues with "overscan" - it fills my screen correctly without touching a thing using built-in scalers. I just set the desired modes (1080/60 & 1080/24) and it adjusts automatically.

Hardware-wise there's benefit to users who want this functionality and are looking to upgrade or build an HTPC, so at least this is helpful discussion.

- bluray - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:The DTS-HD HR samples show up as DTS-HD Hi Res on my Onkyo SR-706. So audio wise it seems to work, the first files that have massive framedrops by the way. The TrueHD samples work fine.
I don't trust download video/audio file. It may created bad segments during upload/download.

If you want to verify the stability of HTPC, I'm suggesting original BD or BD ripped file instead (speaking from engineering experiences- always troubleshoot with known good source).

Raytestrak Wrote:Edit: Don't know if this makes sense, but could the fact that it's a 7.1 demo and I only have a 5.1 setup cause the framedrops?
It don't make any different. The modern AVR know exactly how to process it!

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-16

DDDamian Wrote:Remember that just a few years ago this simply wasn't possible on home hardware, and it was a very small subset of PC users who embraced the PC as a high-quality playback device.

Despite your previous issues with AMD (I used to be an nVidia guy) we're just reporting what does work, and right now it seems the Intel hardware has the most trouble with these codecs. That's a recurring theme in this thread and many others related to I3 especially.

I'm tempted to say the AMD/nVidia's do a better job of smoothing frames as well - I can't see noticeable flicker or stutter if I do drop a video frame. I've had no issues with "overscan" - it fills my screen correctly without touching a thing using built-in scalers. I just set the desired modes (1080/60 & 1080/24) and it adjusts automatically.

Hardware-wise there's benefit to users who want this functionality and are looking to upgrade or build an HTPC, so at least this is helpful discussion.

Well, you've piqued my interest, so perhaps I will get an AMD/ATI card to play with, just so I can do a direct comparison with current hardware.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

voip-ninja Wrote:Well, you've piqued my interest, so perhaps I will get an AMD/ATI card to play with, just so I can do a direct comparison with current hardware.

It's a worthwhile investment - you obviously care about your playback quality. And at least it's not as bad as the poor guy about 20 pages back - we had to tell him to dump his *very* expensive sound card with 8 Burr-Brown DACs built-in and install a $35 device to make it better.

His was an audiophile solution of ony a few years back. Such is the state (and rate) of change.

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:I don't trust download video/audio file. It may created bad segments during upload/download.

If you want to verify the stability of HTPC, I'm suggesting original BD or BD ripped file instead (speaking from engineering experiences- always troubleshoot with known good source).

True, but I don't have DTS-HD HR discs to rip, only DTS-MA

Quote:It don't make any different. The modern AVR know exactly how to process it!

Maybe, but maybe it's XBMC or my htpc that can't handle it properly then. If I don't set XBMC to 5.1 I also have jitter in my videos.

- bluray - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:Maybe, but maybe it's XBMC or my htpc that can't handle it properly then. If I don't set XBMC to 5.1 I also have jitter in my videos.
Something is not right then, because I tried it on Denon at my wife auncle house and on my Onkyo. It doesn't make any different how many channel. If you're bistreaming, AVR should received un-molested codecs from your HTPC. Unless, there is funny business going on with your HTPC side. Otherwise, AVR should know exactly how to process it and it should know how many speakers is connected to it! Smile

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:Maybe, but maybe it's XBMC or my htpc that can't handle it properly then. If I don't set XBMC to 5.1 I also have jitter in my videos.

It sounds like you are using DirectSound. If you go to the Windows device audio properties in the final tab (Advanced) pls check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority".

With WASAPI Exclusive enabled the source format is played as-is regardless of the channel layout. This is the default Windows mode for this build of XBMC.

- DanielaE - 2012-02-16

DDDamian Wrote:Judging by the "custom speakers" in your sig we both enjoy good audio Big Grin
Bet on that! Laugh
This HD audio work was just a small starter to get accustomed to XBMC development. The primary goal of this project is the replacement of the literal wall of CDs / DVD-As / SACDs in my living room by their album FLAC counterparts sitting on my NAS (fully tagged with embedded cover art and embedded cuesheets).

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-16

DDDamian Wrote:It sounds like you are using DirectSound. If you go to the Windows device audio properties in the final tab (Advanced) pls check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority".

With WASAPI Exclusive enabled the source format is played as-is regardless of the channel layout. This is the default Windows mode for this build of XBMC.

It was when I last experienced the jitter. It's only been set to wasapi since these HD audio builds. I checked and both settings were already checked.

The framedrops on those downloaded DTS-HD HR files are still present though. I've just tested those two files again and now the framedrops occur at the start, but then they play fine. Around 13-16, whereas this afternoon they were well in the hundreds. It occurs less when I fiddle with Video Settings, Spline36 video scaling is a bit heavy for my setup in combination maybe, although I don't understand why since the audio is bitstreaming to my receiver. Could also be my server was a bit busy this afternoon.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:It was when I last experienced the jitter. It's only been set to wasapi since these HD audio builds. I checked and both settings were already checked.

The framedrops on those downloaded DTS-HD HR files are still present though. I've just tested those two files again and now the framedrops occur at the start, but then they play fine. Around 13-16, whereas this afternoon they were well in the hundreds. It occurs less when I fiddle with Video Settings, Spline36 video scaling is a bit heavy for my setup in combination maybe, although I don't understand why since the audio is bitstreaming to my receiver. Could also be my server was a bit busy this afternoon.

Yeah, a few misses at the start is completely normal - lot's going on then.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

DanielaE Wrote:Bet on that! Laugh
This HD audio work was just a small starter to get accustomed to XBMC development. The primary goal of this project is the replacement of the literal wall of CDs / DVD-As / SACDs in my living room by their album FLAC counterparts sitting on my NAS (fully tagged with embedded cover art and embedded cuesheets).

We share much in common :p

Two weeks ago I tried to contact the developer of the Foobar SACD plugin to ask permission to port to XBMC - no answer yet, just e-mailed him again. I have a lot of DVD-A/SACD stuff I'd love to play with XBMC. I use the AE code to play my DVD-A rips but don't want to convert my DSD/DST stuff to FLAC (except on-the-fly). Hoping I can add SACD to XBMC Cool

- ArieS - 2012-02-16

Raytestrak Wrote:Sorry for this offtopic question, but this is to the Zacate Onkyo guys:

Do you have HDMI handshake issues too? I have an Onkyo SR-706 and almost everytime I turn my htpc on (Foxconn NT-A3500 (E350)) I get no picture. Resume from S3 actually, I hardly turn it off. I have to change inputs on my receiver to reinitialize the handshake before I get a signal. It's no due to this build, I have it all the time. HD Audio rocks by the way. No dropouts whatsoever.
The Onkyo x06 line is garbage.
I used to have a 606 and I had so many handshake problems. Google it and you'll see. They truly are POS.
I switched to Pioneer and haven't looked back.
Onkyo, never again...

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

ArieS Wrote:The Onkyo x06 line is garbage.
I used to have a 606 and I had so many handshake problems. Google it and you'll see. They truly are POS.
I switched to Pioneer and haven't looked back.
Onkyo, never again...

Tried to help a guy a few weeks ago with the same receiver and yeah, google brings up tons of issues with the handshake Sad

Good intentions on the standard side - poor implementation by many manufacturers of receivers and TVs.

- bluray - 2012-02-16

DDDamian Wrote:We share much in common :p
No dating allow in here! Laugh