Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- bluray - 2012-02-16

ArieS Wrote:The Onkyo x06 line is garbage.
I used to have a 606 and I had so many handshake problems. Google it and you'll see. They truly are POS.
I switched to Pioneer and haven't looked back.
Onkyo, never again...
I did the opposite. I switched the more exspensive Pioneer Elite to the less exspensive Onkyo HT-RC270, and I'm a happier camper now! Smile

- Martijn - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:no dating allow in here! Laugh

lmao Image

- mkortstiege - 2012-02-16

haha Wink nice one

- ArieS - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:I did the opposite. I switched the more exspensive Pioneer Elite to the less exspensive Onkyo HT-RC270, and I'm a happier camper now! Smile
Wow, hard to believe going from an Elite, nonetheless, to an Onkyo is a better move Shocked

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-16

ArieS Wrote:The Onkyo x06 line is garbage.
I used to have a 606 and I had so many handshake problems. Google it and you'll see. They truly are POS.
I switched to Pioneer and haven't looked back.
Onkyo, never again...

Sad

but ... but ... I like my little Onkyo

Sad

No, seriously. I don't have any further issues. xbox 360, wii, ps3, pvr and dvd all work fine. My previous htpc didn't have this, so it's the ATI/Onkyo combination but I seem to be the only one having the problem (here). It seems to occur less when I set my display to RGB.

I'll stop posting offtopic stuff now. Rolleyes

and please don't insult my Onkyo again, she has feelings too, you know

- DDDamian - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:No dating allow in here! Laugh

It'd be little babies like my avatar lol.

- thrak76 - 2012-02-17

DDDamian Wrote:We share much in common :p

Two weeks ago I tried to contact the developer of the Foobar SACD plugin to ask permission to port to XBMC - no answer yet, just e-mailed him again. I have a lot of DVD-A/SACD stuff I'd love to play with XBMC. I use the AE code to play my DVD-A rips but don't want to convert my DSD/DST stuff to FLAC (except on-the-fly). Hoping I can add SACD to XBMC Cool

Yes, please!

I'm pretty happy that i can now play my DVD-A rips, and being able to play some multichannel SACDs would be nice bonus! Keep us posted! (I'm sure you will) Big Grin

- meridius - 2012-02-17

Hi all what settings do u all use for the video options in xbmc to get the best picture quality for hd and sd video soruces.

I Was wanting some help do that I could get the best from xbmc. I don't want any frame drops or 24p frame problems or any rubbish upscaling options.

I have a i3 3.hgz CPU and ati 6570 installed.

Thanks for any tips I have sync display to soruce option enabled to get 24p. As I have a pioneer 5090.

Cheers

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-17

Still no dice getting dts-hdma through. I set the "Receiver is capable of" to dts-hdma and the sound device fails to initialise. If I set it to DTS-HD then XBMC quote HDMA when pressing "O" whilst the movie is playing, but the amp only shows DTS.

In the hdmi audio settings there is no DTS-HDMA (has all the other possibilities though) - others appear to have this working even though the sound device doesn't report this capability in Windows. I'm a bit stumped...

- DDDamian - 2012-02-17

thrak76 Wrote:I'm pretty happy that i can now play my DVD-A rips, and being able to play some multichannel SACDs would be nice bonus! Keep us posted! (I'm sure you will) Big Grin

Check out this thread Wink

nikc0069 Wrote:In the hdmi audio settings there is no DTS-HDMA (has all the other possibilities though) - others appear to have this working even though the sound device doesn't report this capability in Windows. I'm a bit stumped...

If your audio device does not report that it can pass DTS-MA then you'll just get the core DTS. Check that you have the latest drivers for your device, otherwise you'd need to contact the device manufacturer - sorry.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-17

meridius Wrote:Hi all what settings do u all use for the video options in xbmc to get the best picture quality for hd and sd video soruces.

I Was wanting some help do that I could get the best from xbmc. I don't want any frame drops or 24p frame problems or any rubbish upscaling options.

I have a i3 3.hgz CPU and ati 6570 installed.

Thanks for any tips I have sync display to soruce option enabled to get 24p. As I have a pioneer 5090.

Cheers

Hi Meridius - you have what seems to be one of the better GPU's for this. Sounds like you have XBMC set fine (sync display to source enabled). Make sure you're using the Catalyst 12.1 drivers and Video->Quality->Enforce smooth video playback. Any other options are optional - personal preference.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-17

For any of my fellow intel enthusiasts, it appears from some discussion at AVS that the Intel drivers that were released on Sunday might have finally fully fixed the 23.976 problem with the Intel iGPU... so it might clean up the tiny number of issues I am seeing using this new build from DDDamian.

Discussion here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1393588

I have an ATI card coming, so I will be able to do a direct comparison between the two.

I will be testing the new Intel drivers shortly.

- meridius - 2012-02-17

DDDamian Wrote:Hi Meridius - you have what seems to be one of the better GPU's for this. Sounds like you have XBMC set fine (sync display to source enabled). Make sure you're using the Catalyst 12.1 drivers and Video->Quality->Enforce smooth video playback. Any other options are optional - personal preference.

Thanks for that.

I noticed that enforce smooth video playback is disabled in my ati catalyst driver, I enabled it.

Does this make much difference at all and have u noticed anything with it on or off

Cheers

- DDDamian - 2012-02-17

@meridius - I haven't done a hard comparison, but I don't see the video frame drops as drastically as some report if I allow them to occur - and conclude that there's some inter-frame smoothing being done between output frame flips by the GPU. The only other explanation I can think of is this enables better regulated clock timing for video frames, but that would lead to audio disruptions. Wish I had a hard answer - can only draw from observation that I simply don't visually see frame drops if I slave to the audio clock.

@voip-ninja - great news on both fronts. You seem to be quite sensitive to the video drops. Perhaps the question above by Meridius is something you can experiment with once your new card arrives.

It's pretty exciting where all this is heading Nod

- bluray - 2012-02-17

meridius Wrote:Thanks for that.

I noticed that enforce smooth video playback is disabled in my ati catalyst driver, I enabled it.

Does this make much difference at all and have u noticed anything with it on or off

Cheers
You can do your own comparison by using the default settings in CC Video->Quality with Enforce smooth video playback enabled vs. disable everything in CC Video->Quality and leave Video->Quality->Enforce smooth video playback enabled. Whichever you like better, you can go with that. Since each HTPC, HDTV and environment it in is slightly different, it is hard for any of us to say this and that setting is good for you. You just have to do some experiment with it for yourself. For me, I like it better with everything disabled in CC Video->Quality and Video->Quality->Enforce smooth video playback enabled! Smile