Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-18

fezster Wrote:However, I do have an issue after resuming from standby where everything just freezes as soon as I try to play a video. Im not sure if this occurs in the standard Eden build or not.

Unfortunately there's quite a few threads that seem to indicate the resume issue is pretty widespread in Eden. I get it too.

- DanielaE - 2012-02-18

nikc0069 Wrote:Does your amp report Master Audio, Ray?

I'd recommend to run Monitor Asset Manager and look for a info block like this one on my rig:
Code:
CE audio data (formats supported)
  LPCM    2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
  LPCM    8-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
  AC-3    6-channel,  640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
  DTS     7-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48/88/96 kHz
  SACD    6-channel                      at 44 kHz
  DD+     8-channel                      at 44/48 kHz
  DVD-A   8-channel                      at 48/96/192 kHz
  DTS-HD  8-channel, 16-bit              at 48/96/192 kHz

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-18

nikc0069 Wrote:Does your amp report Master Audio, Ray?

Yes. DTS-MA, DTS High Res and Dolby TrueHD (and all the normal formats like DTS, Doblby Digital, Pro Logic II etc.)

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-18

Hi guys, I don't want to take it too far off topic, but since limited discussion of video hardware as it pertains to these HD audio builds is permitted, I wanted to provide some quick input.

I added an HD6450 to my system (an i3 with iGPU) and this is what I observe relative to the change;

1. HD audio formats work exactly as they did with the iGPU. I get HD audio bitstreaming of all audio formats. If I sync both content and display, I still get audio dropouts (of Dolby True-HD only) with the Radeon card, just like with the Intel.

2. With the option of "match refresh rate to source" I get the same exact number of frame drops with the Radeon card as I did with the Intel iGPU, about 2 frame drops every 7 or so minutes. I have not been able to quantify yet whether or not the frame drops are more or less noticeable with the Radeon card vs. the Intel video hardware.

3. When I start playback with DXVA enabled, I see a brief moment of macro blocking at the beginning of playback, similar to what the Intel did. However, after initial macro blocking the picture is fine. With the Intel if DXVA enabled the picture is unwatchable, although it's fine with DXVA turned off and only uses about 25% CPU.

4. I am seeing a lot of the same driver weirdness with Radeon that I saw with my last go round. For example. I set the overscan to 0 for the desktop resolution of 1080p/60. When I started playback of a 1080p/23.976 movie, the video had overscan applied. I had to go in, change the desktop resolution to 1080p/23 and then manually set the overscan for that resolution. Very very annoying as it looks like I will have to do this for every video resolution. Scaling in the video card is not an option for me. My $4000 TV does a better job of scaling video than the $30 Radeon card so I want the TV to do this work.

I will concede that FF/REW seeking is better with the Radeon than with the onboard Intel graphics.

So, if you want better FF/REW get a Radeon, but be prepared to screw around with the drivers a lot (I spent a LOT of time just tricking the drivers into letting me disable all of the graphics adjustment garbage).

Otherwise, there is no real advantage over the onboard Intel hardware.

- bluray - 2012-02-18

Raytestrak Wrote:Yes. DTS-MA, DTS High Res and Dolby TrueHD (and all the normal formats like DTS, Doblby Digital, Pro Logic II etc.)
+1, my E350 shows the same things (with proper drivers/configurations, it should)! Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-18

voip-ninja Wrote:So, if you want better FF/REW get a Radeon, but be prepared to screw around with the drivers a lot (I spent a LOT of time just tricking the drivers into letting me disable all of the graphics adjustment garbage).

Otherwise, there is no real advantage over the onboard Intel hardware.
Have you try these settings in CC?

1. Update AMD CC to 12.1 version- AMD Radeon™ Video Card Drivers

2. Disable everything in AMD CC/Video/Quality other than "Enforce Smooth Video Playback"

- TRaSH - 2012-02-18

well finally today i installed it,
and i must say i'm impressed.
the only reason why i use a external player is because xbmc doesn't support Digtial Audio Formats.
need todo some more testing to see if audio/subs switching works.

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-18

bluray Wrote:+1, my E350 shows the same things (with proper drivers/configurations, it should)! Smile

Thanks everyone - will hose my system tonight and update everything Smile Will report back. Thanks for all your help.

bluray Wrote:Have you try these settings in CC?

1. Update AMD CC to 12.1 version- AMD Radeon™ Video Card Drivers

2. Disable everything in AMD CC/Video/Quality other than "Enforce Smooth Video Playback"

Yes, I've done that. It's worth noting that the ability to turn off all of the enhancement garbage is crippled. I had to go in and turn off de-interlacing, then turn on the 'preview' mode for graphic adjustment before it would let me turn off all of the video settings.

Anyways, I'm trying to provide input to those here who might be under the assumption that they will get better HD audio performance with the AMD video card vs. the Intel one. They really won't (other than the previously mentioned FF/REW speed). I find the continued propagation of this myth troubling, especially since it just cost me $45.

I just want people to be properly informed.

- Dixon Butz - 2012-02-18

I found another benefit of using DanielaE's patch.
I can now play multi channel DTS flac's in XBMC that were ripped from DTS audio CD's.
Only got static before.

- bluray - 2012-02-18

voip-ninja Wrote:I find the continued propagation of this myth troubling, especially since it just cost me $45.

I don't think that DDDamian and I have any propaganda by suggesting AMD HD6450 to you. It's purely from our good experiences with this GPU, and it is the cheapest discrete GPU that can do everything.

Since we don't have identical HTPC, AVR, HDTV, cofigurations, etc as you, it's hard to say what cause your system to have frame drops, audio dropouts, etc. As far as I know, my kid i3/iGPU cannot playback as fluently as my older E7200+HD5570 and AMD APU+HD6450 on my 56" HDTV.

I hope that you can find the best solution to your liking! Smile

- assassin - 2012-02-18

voip-ninja Wrote:Yes, I've done that. It's worth noting that the ability to turn off all of the enhancement garbage is crippled. I had to go in and turn off de-interlacing, then turn on the 'preview' mode for graphic adjustment before it would let me turn off all of the video settings.

Anyways, I'm trying to provide input to those here who might be under the assumption that they will get better HD audio performance with the AMD video card vs. the Intel one. They really won't (other than the previously mentioned FF/REW speed). I find the continued propagation of this myth troubling, especially since it just cost me $45.

+1

I have been trying to lay the 24p myth to rest also. This is another myth that seems to have been perpetuated.

Actually I have been on this campaign for over 9 months... Link

Just like you I just want people to be informed.

- assassin - 2012-02-18

bluray Wrote:As far as I know, my kid i3/iGPU cannot playback as fluently as my older E7200+HD5570 and AMD APU+HD6450 on my 56" HDTV.

I hope that you can find the best solution to your liking! Smile

I have an i3 2100 and a G620 and they both playback plenty "fluenty" on a DLP and LCD 1080p HDTV.

I have also used and tested ATI and NVidia extensively. No difference.

My approach is simple... Start with the integrated GPU and if for any reason you aren't satisfied THEN add a discrete card. No real reason to recommend one up front as a "cure all" when in some/most cases it might not be needed.

- bluray - 2012-02-18

assassin Wrote:I have an i3 2100 and a G620 and they both playback plenty "fluenty" on a DLP and LCD 1080p HDTV.

I have also used and tested ATI and NVidia extensively. No difference.

My approach is simple... Start with the integrated GPU and if for any reason you aren't satisfied THEN add a discrete card. No real reason to recommend one up front as a "cure all" when in some/most cases it might not be needed.
As I said, I own/tried Nvidia GPU, AMD iGPU/GPU and Intel iGPU on my system; and I like AMD GPU the most.

DDDamian and I suggested AMD HD6450 to Voip-Ninja because we had good experiences with it. At the same time, Voip-Ninja is having hard time getting his i3/iGPU to work to his liking on his system. We thought that it is worth it for him to try another GPU using this XBMC patches on his system.

As you might have noticed, Daniela posted XBMC patches in here because she have good experiences with it on her system. Some others is not so lucky with it, but most do. Every system and configuration is different in many ways, it's hard to find any one solution to work on every system! Smile

The patch works great, and I have no issue with it. I pointed out that when I was using the sync options I like in XBMC (which give me no dropped frames) that True-HD has audio dropout with my i3. It was pointed out that I should try another video card because of all of the problems with intel iGPU.

I did that, and simply wanted to report that I get the same audio dropouts when using the same sync options using the ATI 6450 that I got with the intel, so clearly it's an XBMC/Patch limitation that is causing this, not the hardware.

There's no malice here, just trying to inform others. I am incredibly grateful for this work performed as it has just pushed the bar substantially on what XBMC is capable of and it would not be possible with Daniela and DDDamian's efforts.

However, I would like to see people stop trashing the Intel GPU as being the source of their problems, because I've just proved that it's almost exactly identical to the ATI one in performance. The only difference is you "get to use" DXVA on the ATI card and you don't "get to use" DXVA with the Intel one. Other than that, and the FF/REW performance on the ATI, they are pretty much the same from what I can see.