Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-19

Thanks very much!!

- SkItZo - 2012-02-19

I think DanielaE's first post is one of, if not the best first post ever in XBMC history Tongue

- fezster - 2012-02-19

DDDamian Wrote:Unfortunately there's quite a few threads that seem to indicate the resume issue is pretty widespread in Eden. I get it too.

Thanks for letting me know mate, at least I know it's nothing to do with my setup.

- solidsatras - 2012-02-19

I´m having trouble with the setup of a friend.

Here´s a list of the hardware:
- Onkyo TX-NR809
- pretty old Philips non fullhd lcd (about to change soon)
- HTPC:
A6-3670K with Radeon HD 6530D
ASRock A75M-ITX FM1
AMD Catalyst 12.1 installed

Some screenshots of the settings:
System - Settings - Audio Output
Videos - Settings - Playback
Properties of AMD HDMI Output (supported formats)
Configuration of AMD HDMI Output

We can´t get DTS-HD or TrueHD to work. Everytime we
switch to one of these the warning "Failed to initialize audio device"
pops up and we have no audio. We tried files from demo-world as well as our own bluray rips(Makemkv)

We are using DDDamian´s latest built with the advancedsettings suggested here.

Here is a log

It just feels like its one little configuration we overlooked.
We would really appreciate if someone had some pointers at what we could try
to get this working. Since it seems like the same problem as nikc0069 had before we already tried the EDID override but it didn´t help.

- dtviewer - 2012-02-19

Solidsatras....not sure how to fix your issue but I hope others use your post as a guideline on how to write a post asking for help.
Your post could be put into the Wiki as an example of the right way.

Good job........

- bluray - 2012-02-19

solidsatras Wrote:I´m having trouble with the setup of a friend.

Here´s a list of the hardware:
- Onkyo TX-NR809
- pretty old Philips non fullhd lcd (about to change soon)
- HTPC:
A6-3670K with Radeon HD 6530D
ASRock A75M-ITX FM1
AMD Catalyst 12.1 installed
By the way, that is a great Onkyo your friend have there!

Let get the basic things correct first.

1. Can you make sure that the hardwares are connected this way- AsRock/AMD HDMI output port-->Onkyo TX-NR809 HDMI input port-->Onkyo TX-NR809 HDMI output port-->Phillips HDMI input port via two HDMI cables.

2. Make sure to select "TX-NR809/AMD HD" as a default playback device in Windows 7 control panel
3. Make sure to select "Audio output device WASAPI: TX-NR809 (AMD HD)" in XBMC audio output settings
4. You can try the XBMC video playback options as shown below:
5. It might be worth it to reboot HTPC & AVR
6. You might want to check out Onkyo TX-R809 firmware update too
7. We'll see how it turn out!

Solidsatras,

From all of the discussion it would appear that every time someone gets "failed to initialize" the problem is caused by EDID handshake failure or driver issues.

Getting a debug log might help further narrow it down.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-19

SkItZo Wrote:I think DanielaE's first post is one of, if not the best first post ever in XBMC history Tongue

+1 - I think I had the joy of seeing it first - blew me away Smile

- DDDamian - 2012-02-19

dtviewer Wrote:Solidsatras....not sure how to fix your issue but I hope others use your post as a guideline on how to write a post asking for help.
Your post could be put into the Wiki as an example of the right way.

Good job........

+1 - This is the single best request for help I've seen.

Solidsatras - can I suggest two things:

1) Rename guisettings.xml to something else like guisettings.bak.xml and re-start XBMC. There's a line in your debug suggesting the dts passthrough gui setting was not read correctly.

2) In the Windows audio device panel, go to the last tab (Advanced) and ensure that "Enable applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" are both Checked or Enabled".

I agree, these patches are one of the most substantial additions to XBMC in the software's history... especially for the AV enthusiast crowd who have the higher end gear and want their HD audio!

Has anyone seen any macro blocking using either Daniela or DDDamian's builds? We watched Kung Fu Panda last night using the Radeon 6450 and there was one moment where it appeared as if the video broke down and macro blocked (I have DXVA turned on). I just want to find out if this is a known issue. Other than this one incident playback was perfect for the entire 90 minute movie.

- bluray - 2012-02-19

DDDamian Wrote:2) In the Windows audio device panel, go to the last tab (Advanced) and ensure that "Enable applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" are both Checked or Enabled".
If he didn't manually disabled it, these options should be default settings.

- bluray - 2012-02-19

voip-ninja Wrote:Has anyone seen any macro blocking using either Daniela or DDDamian's builds? We watched Kung Fu Panda last night using the Radeon 6450 and there was one moment where it appeared as if the video broke down and macro blocked (I have DXVA turned on). I just want to find out if this is a known issue. Other than this one incident playback was perfect for the entire 90 minute movie.
I watched Kung Fu Panda with my boys twice within the last couple days, and I didn't encounter Macroblocking! Smile

If you remember the part of movie where it happened, you can FF to there and see if you can see Macroblocking again. If it it is, it is more likely that there is a bad segment in your ripped file.

- mrhyde1969 - 2012-02-19

Just a little off topic here guys if you dont mind. But since installing Daniela's latest build I am getting an annoying problem with 'movie sets'. the thing is every time that I restart my computer I have to re-enable 'movie sets' within the Settings>VIDEO page. I never had this problem before. Is this related to this build only or is it a BETA 3 issue ? Huh anyone else having this issue?

- TechLife - 2012-02-19

mrhyde1969 Wrote:Just a little off topic here guys if you dont mind. But since installing Daniela's latest build I am getting an annoying problem with 'movie sets'. the thing is every time that I restart my computer I have to re-enable 'movie sets' within the Settings>VIDEO page. I never had this problem before. Is this related to this build only or is it a BETA 3 issue ? Huh anyone else having this issue?
It's a beta 3 issue