Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-20

Been away for a bit but it's nice to see the continued support on here.
I updated to the ATI 12.2 drivers and it totally knocked out my audio. I tried the Realtek driver (always just used the amd HDMI one previously) and it worked fine so i have stuck with that for now.
I'm still having the problem with TrueHD. I used a different ripper to makemkv and now the audio is perfect with no drop outs or glitches, the only problem is that the video can't keep up. It's not blocky like it was on kung fu panda but it runs either really slowly or really quickly (i have tried sync to audio but this really killed it).
Any ideas?! 90% there, just this last niggle to resolve!

Oh, and also - I had an Onkyo 609 and took it back because the handshaking was crap. It would not allow me to switch digital inputs, in particular with the HTPC unless the HTPC had been started and fully loaded while selected on the amp. Once you moved to a different source and then went back, it wouldn't sync again.

- jjd-uk - 2012-02-20

watanave Wrote:only checking that the receiver is handling the audio and not the TV
Can you clarify whether this means you've checked the HDMI Audio Out setting on the AVR? this is where you have a choice of:

Amp or TV

You need it to be set to Amp which is what I assume you meant that the audio is handled by the receiver.

Just wanted to be sure as if it was set to TV the sound is passed onto the TV, and then it's the TV audio capabilities that are reported back along the HDMI link to the HTPC, so fits in with your report that everything is fine with TV off/disconnected.

- watanave - 2012-02-20

jjd-uk Wrote:Amp or TV

You need it to be set to Amp which is what I assume you meant that the audio is handled by the receiver.off/disconnected.

Yes, jjd-uk, is set to Amp. That's what I meant.

Gracias.

- dtviewer - 2012-02-20

DDDamian Wrote:Voip-ninja is correct - hand-shaking takes place along the chain. Let's hope disabling HDMI control in the Denon solves his issue. It is disabled on my Denon amp but of course my TV is different.

Hope we hear back positive results.

Can absolutley verify this on my set-up.

I run xbmc PC (or cable box...either works the same way) --->avr ---> onkyo 608(connected to a 7.1 mixture of self built speakers and JM Lab speakers).

If I am watching a movie and I turn off the tv accidently, the sound to the speakers goes off. I cant get sound out of my avr with the tv off, even though it is after the avr, because of the hdmi 'chain' being broken.

Really stumped me until I learned about the hdmi chain.

- bluray - 2012-02-20

dtviewer Wrote:Can absolutley verify this on my set-up.

I run xbmc PC (or cable box...either works the same way) --->avr ---> onkyo 608(connected to a 7.1 mixture of self built speakers and JM Lab speakers).

If I am watching a movie and I turn off the tv accidently, the sound to the speakers goes off. I cant get sound out of my avr with the tv off, even though it is after the avr, because of the hdmi 'chain' being broken.

Really stumped me until I learned about the hdmi chain.
That's new to me too. I played several movies (one movie with DTS-HD and another one with TrueHD) on my HTPC with my Onkyo HT-RC270 yesterday. I turned off HDTV several times while the movies were playing, and the surround on Onkyo HT-RC270 never miss a beat! Huh

Oh, I happen to have COX HDVR too. I turned off COX HDVR several times while watching Knicks and Mavericks game, and Onkyo HT-RC270 never miss a beat either. The kid "Lin" was superb!

Here is my system configurations-

1: HTPC-->HT-RC270-->HDTV via 2 hdmi cables (HT-RC270 video set to pass-thru).

2. COX HDVR-->HT-RC270-->HDTV via 2 hdmi cables (HT-RC270 video set to pass-thru).

3. XBOX 360 Kinect-->HT-RC270-->HDTV via 2 hdmi cables (HT-RC270 video set to pass-thru).

4. PS3-->HT-RC270-->HDTV via 2 hdmi cables (HT-RC270 video set to pass-thru).

Note- HT-RC270 hdmi output to HDTV hdmi input 1 via one hdmi cable for all sources!

- DDDamian - 2012-02-21

greysquirrel Wrote:...the only problem is that the video can't keep up. It's not blocky like it was on kung fu panda but it runs either really slowly or really quickly (i have tried sync to audio but this really killed it).
Any ideas?! 90% there, just this last niggle to resolve!

Are you using DXVA and true fullscreen (not fullscreen window)?

- watanave - 2012-02-21

Hola,

I've done the testing that DDDamian and blueray suggest, change TV and turning AVR HDMI Control Off.

1. Changing TV

Same problem as LG TV. Turning the new TV on, windows can't see all the formats that the AVR can decode. Properties don't show rate 192Khz and formats TrueHD and DTSHD.

If I change the AVR "HDMI Control" to off, windows can see all the formats and sample rates of the AVR. Good.

2. Using LG TV with "HDMI Control" Off

The problem remains. Windows can't see the formats the Denon decodes.

I ran out of ideas. Is strange that the AVR can't "control" the HDMI as expected.

Thank you all.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-21

@watanave, just want to be clear: with the other TV and HDMI-control off Windows sees the correct AVR capabilites, but with your TV it still won't?

- Raytestrak - 2012-02-21

On my setup, the sound goes away for a few seconds and I hear the usb disconnect/connect sound over my speakers. After that playback resumes.

I have set my Onkyo 706 to NOT send sound to my TV, I only want it over my speakers, but still the TV plays some part in the hdmi chain. AVR is set to output to 1080p, but that won't have an impact on the sound (passthrough is a video only setting if I'm not mistaken).

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-21

watanave Wrote:Hola,

I've done the testing that DDDamian and blueray suggest, change TV and turning AVR HDMI Control Off.

1. Changing TV

Same problem as LG TV. Turning the new TV on, windows can't see all the formats that the AVR can decode. Properties don't show rate 192Khz and formats TrueHD and DTSHD.

If I change the AVR "HDMI Control" to off, windows can see all the formats and sample rates of the AVR. Good.

2. Using LG TV with "HDMI Control" Off

The problem remains. Windows can't see the formats the Denon decodes.

I ran out of ideas. Is strange that the AVR can't "control" the HDMI as expected.

Thank you all.

Just jumping in on this one, but does the PC show in windows as a display device? Bearing in mind the edid override basically tells the pc what you have attached to the end of your hdmi/in your chain, couldn't you simply override the TV display device with something that has the correct properties?

- watanave - 2012-02-21

@DDDamian,

Yes. It's very strange.

@nikc0069,

I've only overrided the EDID of the AVR, I'm going to try EDID override of the TV too.

The testings only showed me that the LG TV is the problem, but the Denon is not doing what you expect regarding HDMI control. I think I'm going to start all over again. But changing the TV is not going to happen soon.

Thanks.

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-21

watanave Wrote:@DDDamian,

Yes. It's very strange.

@nikc0069,

I've only overrided the EDID of the AVR, I'm going to try EDID override of the TV too.

The testings only showed me that the LG TV is the problem, but the Denon is not doing what you expect regarding HDMI control. I think I'm going to start all over again. But changing the TV is not going to happen soon.

Thanks.

Let me know how the TV override goes. My pc only sees the amp so that is all I had to do.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-21

watanave Wrote:I've only overrided the EDID of the AVR, I'm going to try EDID override of the TV too.

Definitely logical next step. If Denon is set to audio->amp and not audio->TV then that should override the TV's report, which is clearly the issue.

- watanave - 2012-02-21

nikc0069 and DDDamian,

Thank you both. I'll try the TV override tonight, I'm at Work (Yoke of slavery)

Adiós.

- bluray - 2012-02-21

watanave Wrote:nikc0069 and DDDamian,

Thank you both. I'll try the TV override tonight, I'm at Work (Yoke of slavery)

Adiós.
You can find the information on HDMI control in page #106 of your owner manual!