Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- bluray - 2012-02-22

greysquirrel Wrote:I did have dsplayer xbmc previously with a few codec packs etc installed. I have removed all of these and it seems to be working now.
I wonder how the others are getting on who also had the problem with THD and kung fu panda 2.?
Are you still having problem with TrueHD? If you do, can you playback the original Kung Fu Panda 2 blu-ray disc using XBMC/patch "Play Disc" option. If you can playback fine with the original BD, you can try to rip it with AnyDVD HD as I suggested earlier.

I ripped all my BD's to BD folders and BD ISO's using AnyDVD HD. I don't have any problem with TrueHD and DTS-HD audio. I tested most of my original blu-ray disc's using XBMC "Play Disc" option before I rip it with AnyDVD HD. I want to make sure that my original source is good. If the ripped files (ISO/M2TS/MKV/BD Folder) don't playback fluently, I know that it is not because of XbMC! Smile

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-23

greysquirrel Wrote:I did have dsplayer xbmc previously with a few codec packs etc installed. I have removed all of these and it seems to be working now.
I wonder how the others are getting on who also had the problem with THD and kung fu panda 2.?

The problem I was having with THD from Kung Fu Panda 2 was that it was ripped with MakeMKV and the older Beta-2 based patch was not working. This issue is (mostly) resolved with the newest patch build.

The only lingering issue I had was that if I used all of the sync options (sync to source and sync to display) enabled I would get periodic audio dropout of THD in the form of a very brief audible glitch in the THD bitstream. Log examination demonstrates that this is due to loss of sync. It happens with both Intel on-board graphics as well as Radeon 6450.

Workarounds are to either send THD as PCM (uncheck the THD box in XBMC) or turn off the "sync to display" option in XBMC and be willing to tolerate a dropped frame or two every now and then but have bit perfect audio.

I'm glad you got your issue resolved. I see a lot of recommendation around here of "load player x, load codec pack y, load this external player, etc" which is all well and good, but it's the FIRST THING that is likely to be causing playback problems when you switch the player/build at a later time. Windows in particular has TERRIBLE filter/decoder management, so any installation of filters, codec packs or external players should always be suspected FIRST of causing playback problems before XBMC is more closely examined.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

XBMC is designed to work without external codecs. If you are using an external player they may be required, but the need for external players is getting more rare.

They can affect rippers too, so be careful of what you really need to have installed.

Basically any codec that hooks into DirectX/DirectSound can help or hurt, often hurt.

- bluray - 2012-02-23

I haven't notice anyone suggested any codec in here other than Daniela suggested Realtek. I used it and I suggested it in my other thread for a long time. It's a very good and reliable software.

If you're using TMT5 and PowerDVD11 for XBMC external player, you do not need additional codec either. I'm one of those 1% that still use external player to enjoy all the original BD menus, chapters, previews, bistreaming, etc!

The point is that a lot of people already show up here with external players and codec packs installed on their machine, load this build and then might have issues.

This would be especially true for those who are running dsplayer builds, etc.

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-23

I have only got the rip of kung fu panda with THD at the mo so can't say if it's fixed for all files, but hopefully it is.
There seems to be a definite problem with certain versions of makemkv then.
I think ninja is correct, XBMC should run as standalone (which is why this version is so good) but as I was previously using a dsplayer version, there may be residual codecs or whatever interfering in either the rip of playback.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

greysquirrel Wrote:There seems to be a definite problem with certain versions of makemkv then.

That seems to be the consensus. Many rippers rely on Windows to render a stream before transcoding as well, and that's where installed codecs can help or hurt.

DDDamian Wrote:That seems to be the consensus. Many rippers rely on Windows to render a stream before transcoding as well, and that's where installed codecs can help or hurt.

Just as an aside, my rips were done on a Mac, but I do recall discussions of things that MakeMKV has done in the past that are "illegal" from a data integrity perspective.

- Berggren - 2012-02-23

I´ve got a strange thing when I updated to the build that DDDamian posted in this thread.
Movies play ok but when I try to play my TVseries they all are in windowed mode.
I can´t seem to make them play on fullscreen.
Only thing changed from the previous version I ran wich was the Beta 2 is DDDamian's version.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on what to do here?
Guess I just can reinstall a clean version of Beta3 and see if it behaves the same. But I rather not.

Regards Berggren

- watanave - 2012-02-23

pabloh20 Wrote:I know you have probably already looked at this, but wondering if anybody in here knows of any setting on your TV that might cause this behaviour, similar in the way that the hdmi control on the denon amp does? I am struggling to think of a setting that could cause it, but just a shot in the dark, seems as you got one TV to work.

Thank you, pabloh20,

The only setting that has something to do with other components in the TV is the "Simplelink" o something like that. And already is off. When on makes the AVR change to TV. If there is a setting to fix my problem maybe is hidden and firmware updates are no available for my model "32SL80YD"

Adiós.

Berggren Wrote:I´ve got a strange thing when I updated to the build that DDDamian posted in this thread.
Movies play ok but when I try to play my TVseries they all are in windowed mode.
Only thing changed from the previous version I ran wich was the Beta 2 is DDDamian's version.

Guess I just can reinstall a clean version of Beta3 and see if it behaves the same. But I rather not.

Regards Berggren

Do you have a Radeon card? I've seen this problem before, it was related to overscan as well as an XBMC setting that chose whether videos were shown in their native resolution or were played windowed. What video card do you have?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

Berggren Wrote:I´ve got a strange thing when I updated to the build that DDDamian posted in this thread.

Regards Berggren

By that do you mean that it's playing letterbox or 4:3 instead of zooming? You can change the default setting in System/Setting/Video/Playback or for each show individually using the OSD.

Shouldn't be a build issue at all - just a setting.

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-23

voip-ninja Wrote:Do you have a Radeon card? I've seen this problem before, it was related to overscan as well as an XBMC setting that chose whether videos were shown in their native resolution or were played windowed. What video card do you have?
Yes Over/underscan is an issue in ATI cards, but only in regard to fps playback (when using automatic refresh rate change - each refresh rate used for playback needs the overscan set individually) and not based on source.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-24

steelman1991 Wrote:Yes Over/underscan is an issue in ATI cards, but only in regard to fps playback (when using automatic refresh rate change - each refresh rate used for playback needs the overscan set individually) and not based on source.

Yeah, the first Radeon setup I had, I had problems with both overscan, as well as needing to go in and adjust the settings Damian mentioned for getting the 480P and 720P content to display fullscreen instead of "windowed".

- TechLife - 2012-02-24

Damian/Daniella - I finally got a chance to try this out. I had been waiting for a CrystalHD build that supported video60.db. It works flawlessly on the rig in my sig. No more external player. I am SO excited!!

Thank you guys SO much for this! This is a key feature that has been missing from day one. We really need a sticky for this that has links in the the first/second posts for latest builds of each version. (Actually, this just needs to be in Eden, but I understand why it's not)

I am using Damian's build btw...