Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- jmpa - 2012-02-24

That big step (able to play HD audio formats without external player) is planned to be out in the next beta release?

- paavoris - 2012-02-24

jmpa Wrote:That big step (able to play HD audio formats without external player) is planned to be out in the next beta release?

No. XBMC is now in "feature freeze" stage and no new functionality will be added before XBMC 11 "Eden" is released.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-24

@TechLife - that's great news, especially as others have had issues with Intel GPU

@jmpa - it's still platform-specific code, and as paavor said Eden is in feature-freeze. You can expect multi-platform HD audio after Eden as things get merged in for Frodo

TrueHD Dropouts - OtisPresley - 2012-02-24

@DDDamian
I tried out your build from this post and get very good results! There are still audio dropouts in TrueHD, but they are not as bad as they were. They occur about every 30 seconds with WASAPI and about every 45 seconds with DirectSound, and they are very brief. Everything else is perfect! Below is my setup:

XBMC running in portable mode
Foxconn H67S Mini-ITX MB
Intel i3-2105 (HD Graphics 3000)
Rotel RSP-1570 processor (HDMI connection)

- bluray - 2012-02-24

OtisPresley Wrote:@DDDamian
I tried out your build from this post and get very good results! There are still audio dropouts in TrueHD, but they are not as bad as they were. They occur about every 30 seconds with WASAPI and about every 45 seconds with DirectSound. Everything else is perfect! Below is my setup:

XBMC running in portable mode
Foxconn H67S Mini-ITX MB
Intel i3-2105 (HD Graphics 3000)
Rotel RSP-1570 processor (HDMI connection)
Ouch...audio dropouts every 30-45 seconds is not acceptable for me. You can try un-check the "Sync Playback to Display" in XBMC settings\video\playback. The audio will be good, but you might have problem with frame drop (you might be able to tolerate it than audio dropout). Good luck! Smile

- OtisPresley - 2012-02-24

bluray Wrote:Ouch...audio dropouts every 30-45 seconds is not acceptable for me. You can try un-check the "Sync Playback to Display" in XBMC settings\video\playback. The audio will be good, but you might have problem with frame drop (you might be able to tolerate it than audio dropout). Good luck! Smile

Thanks bluray, that did the trick! I monitored the stats during playback after disabling sync and never saw any drops under Video.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-24

OtisPresley Wrote:Thanks bluray, that did the trick! I monitored the stats during playback after disabling sync and never saw any drops under Video.

This brings up a question I have, as I have also noticed pretty much zero frame drops using this trick with a 6450 (at least with H264 content). I notice that ae starts out at -50ms and wraps around about once every few minutes, I thought that when this happened a frame would be dropped? How can we see how far out of sync audio and video actually are during playback? Damian, any thoughts on this?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-24

OtisPresley Wrote:Thanks bluray, that did the trick! I monitored the stats during playback after disabling sync and never saw any drops under Video.

voip-ninja Wrote:This brings up a question I have, as I have also noticed pretty much zero frame drops using this trick with a 6450 (at least with H264 content). I notice that ae starts out at -50ms and wraps around about once every few minutes, I thought that when this happened a frame would be dropped? How can we see how far out of sync audio and video actually are during playback? Damian, any thoughts on this?

@otis - glad to hear it - that's how I usually run, with that disabled, as posted in a pic a dozen pages or so back. It seems to work best for me.

@voip-ninja - your OSD is showing how far out they are (that's what AE is) but within the movie are sync frames which lock things back in sync, so what you are seeing is that occuring. That's the wrap-around you're describing. Depending on your settings it will either hold the audio sample, creating a slight "blur" in the audio which is virtually unnoticeable, or drop the video frame.

The extent of this is gonna vary depending on refresh rate, sync frames, codec etc. Some formats and timings may make it more noticeable than others. Not sure why, but I think the 6450 seems to smooth this better than some of the other GPUs being tested here.

Keep testing videos of different codecs and you'll see quite a bit of varience in how far/fast "ae" drifts. Of course if you don't enable syncs you shouldn't see it drift.

- bluray - 2012-02-24

That's good to read...it's time to enjoy the blu-ray movie w/ TrueHD audio then! Smile

- Berggren - 2012-02-24

voip-ninja Wrote:Do you have a Radeon card? I've seen this problem before, it was related to overscan as well as an XBMC setting that chose whether videos were shown in their native resolution or were played windowed. What video card do you have?
I do have a Radeon card

DDDamian Wrote:By that do you mean that it's playing letterbox or 4:3 instead of zooming? You can change the default setting in System/Setting/Video/Playback or for each show individually using the OSD.

Shouldn't be a build issue at all - just a setting.
Sorry for not making my self clear, having a hard time figuring out how to explain it in english Rolleyes

Before i installed your "all in one pack" my tvshows filled up the intire screen (they are all 720P). And after I installed your pack it´s just a small window in the middle of the screen that´s displayed. This only happens when I play tvshows, all movies and menus look perfect as always.
I haven´t changed any settings from after the upgrade so something has happend. The settings appear to be the same and I can´t see any new options that are there regarding videoplayback.
And since it worked flawlessly before the upgrade it lead me to believe that your pack altered something on my machine, that´s why i asked here.
But I can continue to look into it after work today and i will report back my findings if any.

Thanks for your help so far guys and girls Big Grin

Regards Berggren

- nikc0069 - 2012-02-24

Berggren Wrote:I do have a Radeon card

Sorry for not making my self clear, having a hard time figuring out how to explain it in english Rolleyes

Before i installed your "all in one pack" my tvshows filled up the intire screen (they are all 720P). And after I installed your pack it´s just a small window in the middle of the screen that´s displayed. This only happens when I play tvshows, all movies and menus look perfect as always.
I haven´t changed any settings from after the upgrade so something has happend. The settings appear to be the same and I can´t see any new options that are there regarding videoplayback.
And since it worked flawlessly before the upgrade it lead me to believe that your pack altered something on my machine, that´s why i asked here.
But I can continue to look into it after work today and i will report back my findings if any.

Thanks for your help so far guys and girls Big Grin

Regards Berggren

I had this with TV Shows and also some Livestreams at 720p.

It isn't a buikld issue but is a pain int he behind to sort out. I had to use some magical windows voodoo...

My TV was displaying 1080i50, which was the only time this was happening.

By dropping out of xbmc to Windows, ticking to show unsupported refresh rates in the advanced display settings in Windows, selecting 50hz, then monkeying around with the Catalyst scaling (even though 50hz is supported the Windows setting defaulted back, but I could then change the scaling setting) fixed it.

It would be better however if we could add custom settings in an easier fashion in CCC - it is a pain the backside and I don't know why ATI don't have the option to set a global scaling...

Sorry if this is a bit vague but once I had it sorted I didn't want to mess it up again to figure out exactly which step solved it, but I hope it helps a bit.

- Berggren - 2012-02-24

nikc0069 Wrote:It isn't a buikld issue but is a pain int he behind to sort out. I had to use some magical windows voodoo...

My TV was displaying 1080i50, which was the only time this was happening.

By dropping out of xbmc to Windows, ticking to show unsupported refresh rates in the advanced display settings in Windows, selecting 50hz, then monkeying around with the Catalyst scaling (even though 50hz is supported the Windows setting defaulted back, but I could then change the scaling setting) fixed it.

It would be better however if we could add custom settings in an easier fashion in CCC - it is a pain the backside and I don't know why ATI don't have the option to set a global scaling...

Sorry if this is a bit vague but once I had it sorted I didn't want to mess it up again to figure out exactly which step solved it, but I hope it helps a bit.
Thanks for your suggestion but the odd thing is that it just happened without me doing anything other installing DDDamians pack.

- T800 - 2012-02-24

Berggren Wrote:Thanks for your suggestion but the odd thing is that it just happened without me doing anything other installing DDDamians pack.

When playing a 720p video, bring up the OSD,
Video settings/
View Mode/
Make sure it is set to 'Normal' and not 'Original Size'

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-24

T800 Wrote:When playing a 720p video, bring up the OSD,
Video settings/
View Mode/
Make sure it is set to 'Normal' and not 'Original Size'

Yes, I had forgotten about this one, but I think this is what caused my 720P content to show "windowed" with the Radeon card back when I did a Fusion build. I did not have the problem with the 6450. One more thing to point out is that if this straightens things out you need to specifically choose "set this as default for all videos" option or else it will only remember it for an individual title.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-24

@Berggren, hopefully some of the help above will fix you up. There are no modifications to video processing in the build except any added as part of the Eden rollout, so you would see the same issues with stock Eden B3. The reason you may see changes after the upgrade is that Eden updates guisettings.xml with additional menu items etc.

If the tips above do not help can you post screenshots of what you mean? One showing the problem, one showing the problem + hitting "O" to bring up the onscreen debugging info. You can use ImgHost or any other picture hosting site. Thx.