Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

Like a Charm - mliegey - 2012-02-26

works like a charm - this should get a pass and get by the freeze into eden!! holy crap this is the one reason sticklers hold out from using xbmc and it is solved now!! amazing work to those involved!!

System:

Vanilla onboard hdmi intel i3 2100

bluray copies m2ts using dvdfab

to an onkyo tx-sr608

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-26

As long as it is windows only it can't be part of the main release.

- DanielaE - 2012-02-26

Too bad, it seems like there's nobody coming up with a patch to the audio renderer of their favourite platform - a single source file sitting in xbmc/cores/AudioRenderers. I have no Linux, BSD or Mac development system around to implement and test the missing - probably tiny - pieces myself. It should be as easy as that, everything else is platform independent.

- WiSo - 2012-02-26

Take your time. We can push it after Eden for a 11.1 release or similar.
We'll try to get it into master even when the other platforms aren't ready yet. You'll see how fast they respond when this hits master Laugh

- P-I H - 2012-02-26

This is a fantastic achievement.

My HTPC has an AMD Radeon 5450 card with Catalyst 11.8. The reciever is a Harman Kardon AVR 355. PC audio is set to 192/24.

I am using DDDamien's build and it works OK, but switching between formats doesn't always work.
I have used these formats DTS HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, PCM and also mkv files recorded by Tvheadend.
Switching between HD formats always work, but switching from a HD format to a non HD format always fails the first time and the reciever shows the first format. In case I continue to switch between formats, it starts to work after a couple of times and from now on it always work. I have tried to identify a pattern, but I can't find any.

In case nobody else has this problem I suppose it is related to my configuration.

Your Radeon drivers are out of date, so the 1st thing you might do is upgrade them.

- davilla - 2012-02-26

WiSo Wrote:Take your time. We can push it after Eden for a 11.1 release or similar.
We'll try to get it into master even when the other platforms aren't ready yet. You'll see how fast they respond when this hits master Laugh

HAHAHA, WiSo knows all my tricks now. Smile

Glad to see the heavy hitters starting to give this some attention. Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-26

WiSo Wrote:Take your time. We can push it after Eden for a 11.1 release or similar.
I have been screaming to death to have HD audio as one of the top priority for XBMC since Pre-Eden July version. I hope that you can include HD audio options in the next XBMC 11.1! Smile

Thanks!

- DDDamian - 2012-02-26

voip-ninja Wrote:Glad to see the heavy hitters starting to give this some attention. Smile

They see all Cool

- solidsatras - 2012-02-26

bluray Wrote:That seems to be a good quality HDMI cable. Regardless of the quality of the cable, it can have bad cable w/ any brand. When you are ready to change out HDMI cable between HTPC-->AVR, please do it with both components in off stage. If switched out HDMI cable still have the same result, I'm recommending try with a different HDMI input on Onkyo. Your Onkyo should have a lot of HDMI input ports.

If after all the above still don't work with XBMC patches, can you try to playback something with TMT5 (you'll 15 days free trial). I'm just wondering if it can bitstream with a standalone media player. If it is, you have your answer!

We finally had time to give our HD audio problem another go. We tried everything suggested here and almost every combination of settings we could think of.
In the end, getting HD audio to work was as easy as unplugging the HDMI cable of our old Philips Display from the Onkyo AVR(we started our test files with Constellation). Only shutting it off doesn´t work, but as soon as the cable is disconnected all HD audio files played just fine and the AVR displayed the correct format.

So our conclusion is that the EDID override we already did wasn´t successful.
Tulli over at AVS is putting together custom inf-files if the general ones don´t work. I will ask if he could create a file for our TV-AVR combination and hopefully it will work with this old TV.

We want to thank everyone who helped steering us to the right direction.
Without the discussion in this thread we would have never figured this out.

- P-I H - 2012-02-26

@voip-ninja
OK I changed to Catalyst 12.1 and now there is no problem to change audio formats.

- AGunzXBMC - 2012-02-26

solidsatras Wrote:I think so, even v1.3.0.2 doesn´t know anything about HD audio codecs.
Ember audio mapping

I couldn´t figure out how to map dtshd in Ember since dts and dtshd seem to have the same codec ID.
MediaInfo DTS/DTSHD
Maybe someone is able to figure this out.

Well what I do is I go ahead and edit with ember. After the NFO is created I open it with notepad scroll down to where the audio codec is and change dca to dtshd_ma and now xbmc picks it up correctly.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-26

solidsatras Wrote:Only shutting it off doesn´t work, but as soon as the cable is disconnected all HD audio files played just fine and the AVR displayed the correct format..

Hey - fantastic. Hope they can sort out your EDID issue - there's some clever folks over there. Good luck!

- bluray - 2012-02-26

solidsatras Wrote:In the end, getting HD audio to work was as easy as unplugging the HDMI cable of our old Philips Display from the Onkyo AVR
It's good to know that you got it to work. It's time to enjoy HD audio then! Smile