Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- HeresJohnny - 2012-02-29

DanielaE Wrote:This is nothing that will happen tomorrow (to say the least).

I'll certainly look forward to that the day after tomorrow Nod

- Midnight Tboy - 2012-02-29

about to install this new build with the HD audio integration...thanks.

Question though....for future updates, ie the RC2......would I have to wait until the RC2 is amended for the patch, or will updating as normal, still retain the HD audio functionality?

- T800 - 2012-02-29

Midnight Tboy Wrote:about to install this new build with the HD audio integration...thanks.

Question though....for future updates, ie the RC2......would I have to wait until the RC2 is amended for the patch, or will updating as normal, still retain the HD audio functionality?

To keep HD audio for now you will have to install any new builds that have been patched from this thread.
Within a day or two of a new build the patched version turns up.

- Midnight Tboy - 2012-02-29

okies - thanks T800

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-29

Maybe we will see inclusion of the HD Audio feature in a future main XBMC release but for now it will require the generous efforts of those providing the patched builds.

- bluray - 2012-02-29

DanielaE Wrote:@paolov74:
mark I of my HD audio patch didn't go into great length of calculating the true audio frame duration. This lead to severe sync issues with certain setups. Mark II (the current patch code) tries to calculate the audio frame duration and succeeds in doing so with audio formats which exhibit non-varying frame sizes (i.e. DTS). In case of Dolby TrueHD (with varying sizes of packed frames) it can do no better than give an educated guess which is good enough to fix audio stutter on most setups. The ultimate fix - possibly mark III - is a hard one: it requires an on-the-fly fake decode of packed audio up to the point that the true number of resulting audio samples and thus the exact audio frame duration can be derived. This is nothing that will happen tomorrow (to say the least).
If TrueHD continue to have these issues, it is not ready for primetime then. I hope that you and DDD can find solution to solve it so that it can be ready for the 11.1 version. Thanks both of you for all your hard works!

Could it be SDK related?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-29

voip-ninja Wrote:Maybe we will see inclusion of the HD Audio feature in a future main XBMC release but for now it will require the generous efforts of those providing the patched builds.

One way or the other most definitely. Glad to see your new status tag Nod

bluray Wrote:If TrueHD continue to have these issues, it is not ready for primetime then. I hope that you and DDD can find solution to solve it so that it can be ready for the 11.1 version. Thanks both of you for all your hard works!

Could it be SDK related?

A couple of things to point out here about these 'issues'.

1. True-HD does not exhibit the problems at all if it's simply decoded and sent as PCM data. This should satisfy 99% of users, because there is no difference, audibly, between True-HD sent as bitstream and True-HD sent as PCM.

2. The problems described above really only seem to happen if both sync options are set. This is a band-aid that many of us do to deal with video cards that don't handle frame-sync of 23.976 content very well. For users who convert the 1080p/24 to 1080p/60, for users with certain video cards that clock better than others (Radeon 6xxx series), etc, it is not an issue. Just turn the "sync to display" option off.

- paolov74 - 2012-02-29

@voip-ninja

about trueHD pcm decoded: is XBMC able to output 24bit PCM audio data to the receiver? Or is 16 bit limited?

Cause you're right only if the first option applies.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-29

paolov74 Wrote:@voip-ninja

about trueHD pcm decoded: is XBMC able to output 24bit PCM audio data to the receiver? Or is 16 bit limited?

To get 24-bit audio currently requires the AE branch of XBMC.

You are correct that it only works for 16 bit audio, but as far as I know, the overwhelming majority of THD tracks are 16 bit.

Time-out - DDDamian - 2012-02-29

Okay, that's enough of that. This thread has reached a huge size in a few short weeks because of the major step forward provided by Daniela and the number of people who want the best AV reproduction possible from their systems.

The topic has varied widely and I don't think that's a bad thing as it's been very informative and brought lot's of the ins-and-outs of high-def AV hardware and software to light.

Any post that degrades what has been one of the best-informed and helpful threads currently active to a lower level or starts to smell like it's going to is going to be deleted.

If we want to continue to support efforts in this area and help users let's keep it on the up-and-up.

Now, shall we continue?

EDIT: I have removed two posts that really add no value to this thread nor do their poster's much credit. C'mon guys - you're both valuable contributors who have been on the better side of helpful posts.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-29

Fear not - there's a few perfectionists (read anal-retentive) on the team - there's quite a bit of work still to do and currently happening Wink

- bluray - 2012-02-29

DDDamian Wrote:EDIT: I have removed two posts that really add no value to this thread nor do their poster's much credit. C'mon guys - you're both valuable contributors who have been on the better side of helpful posts.
I think that our discussions are valid, because it allow others to understand the reason behind bitstreaming!

- bluray - 2012-02-29

voip-ninja Wrote:You are correct that it only works for 16 bit audio, but as far as I know, the overwhelming majority of THD tracks are 16 bit.
That is why bitstreaming un-molested codec is a must, and there are plenty of blu-ray discs with TrueHD 24bit- Blu-ray Disc Statistics!