Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-03-01

bluray Wrote:I think that our discussions are valid, because it allow others to understand the reason behind bitstreaming!

They ceased to be discussions bluray. If you wish to have an argument or dismiss what's been done so far in this thread (as your previous posts did) then do it via PM or not at all. I have stated my position very clearly.

- Martijn - 2012-03-01

bluray Wrote:I think that our discussions are valid, because it allow others to understand the reason behind bitstreaming!

This thread is about the bitstreaming patch and should be on that alone on how to improve it.

If you want to discuss why bitstream open a thread in the general or off-topic section.

Keep it clean guys Smile

- Ghostdivision - 2012-03-01

I know this is probably been discussed but its a bit confusing.

Can you bitstream 24 bit audio? And can it bitstream 24bit flac?

Bitstreamed, not internal decoding to pcm.

I did a search but i keep seeing conflicting things if anyone could clarify.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-01

Hey ghostdivision. Short answer is no. I assume by bitstreaming you mean send compressed lossless formats like DTS-MA/TrueHD still encoded to a receiver without decoding. We can in 16bit, not 24. It is received as DTS-MA/TrueHD, but may or may not be exactly the same depending on whether the source was 16 or 24. FLACs are also limited to 16bit.

The upcoming AudioEngine branch can bitstream both, along with 24bit FLAC.

- Ghostdivision - 2012-03-01

DDDamian Wrote:Hey ghostdivision. Short answer is no. I assume by bitstreaming you mean send compressed lossless formats like DTS-MA/TrueHD still encoded to a receiver without decoding. We can in 16bit, not 24. It is received as DTS-MA/TrueHD, but may or may not be exactly the same depending on whether the source was 16 or 24. FLACs are also limited to 16bit.

The upcoming AudioEngine branch can bitstream both, along with 24bit FLAC.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a time frame for the upcoming audio engine?

- DDDamian - 2012-03-01

Ghostdivision Wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Is there a time frame for the upcoming audio engine?

It's one of the major items for post-Eden testing, so test builds will roll out after Eden final. There's no more exact a date than that right now.

- PatrickBateman - 2012-03-01

Hmm..
Well, its been busy in here Smile
First of all, Daniala congrats on becoming a member of the team, i think its amazing what you hve done so far and we are lucky to have work on this project, you too Damian, you've done some awesome stuff bro Nod

My issue today, I'm still experiencing problems with my advanced settings.

So, Could some do me a favour and pop up (to media fire or rapid share etc) an actual working advanced settings XML that contains the correct structure in full working order.

If anyone feels generous, could they also add these options...

Cachemembuffersize
Useddsfanart
Nofliptimeout
Dirty regions
Splash

Because, when I copy the XML from a few posts back, and then edit it I'm getting a File that will not load?

Perhaps it's my pc, perhaps it's my notepad++ perhaps it's my setup etc?

I'm not sure what's going on, but it would be good to have a working XML available for all that we can just download, use as a reference point, one that we can pop directly into the directory and then edit as necessary (if at all)

Thanks again for all the hard work guys.
Pat~

- abudabi - 2012-03-01

Well done on this patch lady and gent.

I know you guys are windows coders, but what's feeling in the higher circles.. will/can this be ported to ubuntu? And if so, do you know if it's actively being worked on or not?

This *might* actaully make me ditch my ubuntu install in the short term. Shocked

Keep up the good work!

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-01

abudabi Wrote:Well done on this patch lady and gent.

I know you guys are windows coders, but what's feeling in the higher circles.. will/can this be ported to ubuntu? And if so, do you know if it's actively being worked on or not?

This *might* actaully make me ditch my ubuntu install in the short term. Shocked

Keep up the good work!

If you look back in the thread a bit, you will see that Daniela has reported that this fix should be easy to do on other platforms, but she does not have test systems for non Windows OS to do any work on at this time.

Maybe if someone wants to donate her some gear, HD audio builds will magically appear on those other platforms.

- TechLife - 2012-03-01

PatrickBateman Wrote:My issue today, I'm still experiencing problems with my advanced settings.

Post a copy of your advancedsettings.xml and I will take a look and explain how to add those settings and such.

You may want to just start a new thread to save going too far off track here. Just send me a link and I'll see what I can do to get this working for you tonight when I get home. Notepad++ shouldn't be an issue. I use it for almost everything. Big Grin

- Memphiz - 2012-03-01

voip-ninja Wrote:If you look back in the thread a bit, you will see that Daniela has reported that this fix should be easy to do on other platforms, but she does not have test systems for non Windows OS to do any work on at this time.

Maybe if someone wants to donate her some gear, HD audio builds will magically appear on those other platforms.

Well not quite right. Its not doable on OSX/IOS for now because the operating systems prevent us from doing some needed stuff. At least this is the comment from our osx/ios audio guru.

Thanks, that actually makes perfect sense, because I ruled the Mac Mini out as my HTPC of choice after I discovered that Apple had not enabled HD audio support in their drivers. Bizarrely if you boot the Mini into Windows it all works fine (apparently). Maybe Linux will be easier.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-01

Glad to see the thread getting back on course.

@TechLife - if you could help Patrick out that would be great. No objections with a working "all-inclusive" sample of advancedsettings going up here but for multiple attempts for sure dropbox or pastebin links and pm's are best.

I need a guinea-pig for a test-run Laugh If you have noticeable sync/stutter/drop issues bitstreaming TrueHD can you give this version a go? It is built on RC1 with the bug-fix applied, much like my last upload.

For anyone giving it a go please check only "Sync Refresh Rate to Content", run a TrueHD movie with debug on and PM me with results and log link. Looking for feedback on video/audio drops and overall audio clarity.

Honestly after hearing about some of the sync/timing related problems related to RC1, I am nervous to try it out and have not loaded it yet. Your last build of Beta 3 is working perfectly and I'm nervous about messing things up!

- DDDamian - 2012-03-01

voip-ninja Wrote:Honestly after hearing about some of the sync/timing related problems related to RC1, I am nervous to try it out and have not loaded it yet. Your last build of Beta 3 is working perfectly and I'm nervous about messing things up!

Don't be nervous - the bug-fix has been applied and it's simple to revert back to B3 just by downloading from my earlier post re-linked here. The only other known bug introduced in RC1 affects only ATV users.