Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- HeresJohnny - 2012-03-03

I'd rather suggest to put builds at the top of the thread in the first post Rolleyes

- moravec - 2012-03-03

@DaMiaN, at the Download link it says "51.5MB · Uploaded a month ago" this is not RC2 with Danielas fix - right?

Christian

- fezster - 2012-03-03

DDDamian Wrote:Odd, I don't have that issue using WASAPI & Catalyst 12.1 or Realtek drivers. All 5.1 channels map correctly and I matrix the sides to the backs of my 7.1 using PLIIx, and it clearly maps the sides to the backs, not the front to the backs.

Just to be clear, if you play 5.1 content your BL & BR channels simply mirror your FL & FR channels?

Is there any chance your receiver is set to 5.1 stereo (map stereo to all channels)?

What happens when you "test" the individual speakers from the windows sound configuration panel?

And what does your receiver show when you play 5.1 content?

I can confirm my 4 rear speakers work correctly, but only after setting XBMC to output 5.1, instead of 7.1.

- solidsatras - 2012-03-03

moravec Wrote:@DaMiaN, at the Download link it says "51.5MB · Uploaded a month ago" this is not RC2 with Danielas fix - right?

Christian

This one is for AudioEngine I think.
But that would also be a good place for any windows binary builts of this
HD Audio Patch since searching in this thread for the newest built can be hard...

- fat-tony - 2012-03-03

fezster Wrote:I can confirm my 4 rear speakers work correctly, but only after setting XBMC to output 5.1, instead of 7.1.

I had config error (finger trouble!) with my Onkyo settings. All good now. I have only two rear speakers (5.1 config), so that setting in xbmc is good for me. Any 7.1 test files seem to blend the side surrounds between the rear and front, but I'd say that this is the amp doing that.

- Jaypeg - 2012-03-03

DDDamian Wrote:I just did a build with the latest, I'll push it to GitHub and link here in a few.

Here's a straightforward branch with RC2 + HD Audio. If you go to the downloads area there's a ready-built AE installable there too.

Thanks!

- DDDamian - 2012-03-03

@HeresJohnny - would be easier lol but I'm not going to alter DanielaE's first post here - wrong to do and it's the best first post I've ever seen Big Grin

@morevec - the link provided was to a request from a user for the source so he can upgrade his own build in the future.

Just to clarify: There are two out-of-the-box solutions for hd audio right now. The one this thread is focused on is DanielaE's patch, which I've been calling the HDAudio branch. I have pushed the combined (updated to RC2) files to my HDAudio GitHub branch for those wanting source files. In my opinion this is the best solution for DTS-MA/TrueHD support for most users, and is very stable.

The second is the AudioEngine (AE) branch, a project by gnif to re-write the whole audio system. This is much more drastic, but includes multi-platform support, 24bit audio, better MP3 quality along with DTS-MA/TrueHD. It is not as "complete" as Daniela's patch in terms of stability. The source with my mods is in my github under DDDamianAE branch. In my opinion this is for the best general audio quality and HD support but with potential teething issues.

There is a drop-down box for moving around to different branches.

I have posted installable versions of HDAudio and AE versions, both updated today in the downloads area of my git pages. If you want the latest of either of these builds both were uploaded today March 3rd.

Note that there will be no support for the AE branch here at all. If you want to try it go for it, but do not ask for support here - wrong place. Your guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml will both change going between versions as will your databases. No databases are harmed.

If you wish to try it here are some advancedsettings to play with for AE:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <audio>
        <resample>0</resample>
        <forceDirectSound>0</forceDirectSound>
        <transcodeto>0</transcodeto>
        <audiophile>0</audiophile>
        <allchannelstereo>0</allchannelstereo>
        <audiosinksizesharedmsec>120</audiosinksizesharedmsec>
        <audiosinksizeexclusivemsec>100</audiosinksizeexclusivemsec>
    </audio>
     <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
     <allowd3d9ex>false</allowd3d9ex>
</advancedsettings>

Again, no support for AE in this thread. Please do not ask questions or give comments here - there is a thread already and a new one will be started for testers when the time is right.

Hope that clarifies.

- Michelo - 2012-03-03

Thanks. Working like a charm here!

Finally I can get rid of my PCH Smile

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-03

Damian,

Testing the new RC2+HD patch build and it's working great. I do observe one small problem which I've seen I think since the beginning. With THD audio tracks, if I pause the title and then resume the audio is completely distorted and choppy, I have to stop playback completely and resume to get audio working correctly again.

I suspect it's another THD timing type of problem and not sure if you guys will fix it considering the much larger AE project that will probably be taking front/center after Eden goes out final.

Second question for you, will you be willing to do a release version Eden plus HD audio build for us before this project gets dropped for AE?

- DDDamian - 2012-03-03

@voip-ninja,

I can't duplicate what you're seeing with the pause glitch - not sure if that's a rip issue or perhaps with the Global Delay patch. I'm not using the Global Delay settings as I don't have any sync issues (lucky I guess!). So far I have one BD-rip that exhibits horrible sync (just a bad rip) but everything else in my collection is spot-on regardless of container/codecs. Perhaps try using no advancedsettings file and see what that does on your rig, just to narrow it down.

The general philosophy on builds/patches/latest code is that users should build for themselves. This usually applies for mainline XBMC as well - thus no binaries between releases, and the expectation that users apply betas and RCs at their risk for testing purposes.

I have no issues assisting with binaries for this HDAudio patch or for AE. In the first case I think that Daniela has brought something long-awaited into the here-and-now, and that it's stable enough to not be considered a testing build. It brings great benefit to users. In the case of AE I think it's time for a wider test run, especially on the Win platform as it's more stable than the Linux code right now.

So to answer - I have no problem supporting this for users as and when new things happen with master or Daniela's work, as long as there have been significant benefits brought to either. That might mean some delay and possibly no build at all if there hasn't been much added or if feedback seems to indicate issues which might make it worse (as RC1 did lol).

- ArieS - 2012-03-03

voip-ninja Wrote:Damian,

Testing the new RC2+HD patch build and it's working great. I do observe one small problem which I've seen I think since the beginning. With THD audio tracks, if I pause the title and then resume the audio is completely distorted and choppy, I have to stop playback completely and resume to get audio working correctly again.
I have the same problem and I'm still using the previous version, Beta 3, was it?

- HeresJohnny - 2012-03-03

ArieS Wrote:I have the same problem and I'm still using the previous version, Beta 3, was it?

Same here with DTS tracks, but had it already before the HD audio patch with other versions of Eden.

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-03

ArieS Wrote:I have the same problem and I'm still using the previous version, Beta 3, was it?

Thanks guys for confirming the problem. I will test without an advanced settings file and see if it makes any difference or not.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-04

This is part of the tough thing with the whole delay issue. It seems people facing it fall into a few catagories:

1) those facing a global delay, e.g. all files regardless of codecs/framerate
2) those facing it with 23.976fps material
3) those facing it with DTS

3) Most of my ups here have included a patch for some DTS files with bad sync frame data, but obviously there are other DTS issues for some files/systems. I have done rips of the same DVD with one ripper and horrible sync only to have it playback perfectly with another ripper.

2) The 23.976 issue is just plain clocking issues with GPUs, solvable only with hardware/drivers.

1) The global delay is due to hardware processing issues - delays in processing caused by receivers/TVs.

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-04

Global delay is probably best explained by processing delay in their gear. It is not uncommon for people to suffer small delays if they are using AVRs that don't do a particularly good job with keeping the audio/video in sync when they are doing audio or video processing on the data streams.