Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-03-04

voip-ninja Wrote:Global delay is probably best explained by processing delay in their gear. It is not uncommon for people to suffer small delays if they are using AVRs that don't do a particularly good job with keeping the audio/video in sync when they are doing audio or video processing on the data streams.

Yep. All I can say to someone building a complete system is follow my sig lol. I don't have any of those three issues Laugh

Seriously tho - that call into question why DTS? Okay, my amp does great syncing, and my GPU is one of the best for clocking, but why do I not face the DTS issue? Most of mine are self-ripped, done with DVDFab. The only bad one I have was a download, which I managed to demux and remux to fix it.

Testers for the AudioEngine branch - DDDamian - 2012-03-04

Hey folks - I see quite a few people are downloading the AudioEngine branch.

If you wish to be a tester for that branch as it gets ready for integration I have started a thread here.

Note that it is for Windows only. I'm posting this here as obviously you are Windows users and have an interest in the best possible audio quality, and don't mind living on the bleeding edge Laugh

Before becoming a tester please read the linked threads' first post carefully.

- tsobanoskilo - 2012-03-05

DDDamian Wrote:Hey folks - I see quite a few people are downloading the AudioEngine branch.

If you wish to be a tester for that branch as it gets ready for integration I have started a thread here.

Note that it is for Windows only. I'm posting this here as obviously you are Windows users and have an interest in the best possible audio quality, and don't mind living on the bleeding edge Laugh

Before becoming a tester please read the linked threads' first post carefully.
eeeeeee
what's up duck.....Wink

just playing a little bit with it but i am not a windows user

will post some feedback when be ready Smile

- DJBnJack - 2012-03-05

PERFECT!

Thanks for this patch (I used the HD-patch, not the AE).
Works brilliantly for me!

GTX 460 - Denon AVR 1909

- bluray - 2012-03-05

DDDamian Wrote:Yep. All I can say to someone building a complete system is follow my sig lol. I don't have any of those three issues Laugh
+1, I don't encounter those 3 issues either! Laugh

I can bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD with XBMC since the July 2011 version of Pre-Eden, and I refused to use XBMC without it! Big Grin

- avus m3 - 2012-03-05

The RC2 build appears to have fixed the sync issue (at least for me) with True HD tracks. Nice! (Just FYI I didn't use the global sync tag in advancesettings)

- sydfx - 2012-03-05

Thanks for the great work Daniela & DDDamian! I tried your patched Eden RC2 by moving a PC running XBMC into my home theater system and watched several bluray iso's with DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming working without a hitch. It was great to be able to experience these audio formats on my Marantz SR-8002/PSB system as they were meant to be after struggling for so long with a Boxee box.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with XBMC on the audio front (especially SACD); after building up a new htpc I may have to think about adding XBMC to my dedicated 2-channel room as well.

Thanks again.

- maxtrix - 2012-03-06

Getting a weird issue.. when listening to DTS audio / SACD (which FINALLY works) I am finding the speed and pitch of the audio is just slightly higher & too fast. When the DTS doesn't kick in, the audio sounds normal. Any ideas?

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

I've done a lot of review of the ffmpeg code which repacks the TrueHD data into the MAT frames for transmission over HDMI. With the generous donation of user TechLife we have the IEC standard for TrueHD data-bursts.

I can't find any flaws in the original ffmpeg code written years ago by a group which includes XBMC Team member Anssi. I've also spoken with him about the original code.

This is confirmed by the fact that the TrueHD signal is picked up and decoded correctly by AVRs.

If you wish to bitstream TrueHD as-is without decoding it is essential to disable "Sync Playback to Display", or at least set it to "Audio Clock". Problems will arise if you sync to the video clock and try to either drop/dupe or resample audio packets.

Right now there is no logic for time-stretching the MAT data-bursts which TrueHD bitstreaming uses if the audio clock falls behind the video clock, or "re-sampling".

Not sure how effective this is for anyone having issues with TrueHD, and it's not a fix (a properly-clocking GPU is), but just wanted to share the results of a little investigation with you all.

I've added it to the to-do list for AE, the ability to time-stretch these packets for syncing to the video clock.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

maxtrix Wrote:Getting a weird issue.. when listening to DTS audio / SACD (which FINALLY works) I am finding the speed and pitch of the audio is just slightly higher & too fast. When the DTS doesn't kick in, the audio sounds normal. Any ideas?

SACD is not supported in any way - it won't even recognize the filetype. SACD/DSD uses a totally different format, and atm only Foobar has code for playing it.

For DTS do you mean as part of a movie soundtrack or DTS-encoded wav files?

- paolov74 - 2012-03-06

@DDDamian,

HI, sorry to go back to my previous post, but what I don't understand is why DanielaE's build and your very first build has no TrueHD dropouts with sync to playback on (23.976-> 24.000, tested on several movies and for hours of continuous play).

You adjusted the sync issues (more than 0.5 seconds on some movies) but something else went in the wrong direction...

- maxtrix - 2012-03-06

DDDamian Wrote:SACD is not supported in any way - it won't even recognize the filetype. SACD/DSD uses a totally different format, and atm only Foobar has code for playing it.

For DTS do you mean as part of a movie soundtrack or DTS-encoded wav files?

Good to know about SACD... I am using DTS encoded wav files...

- bluray - 2012-03-06

paolov74 Wrote:@DDDamian,

HI, sorry to go back to my previous post, but what I don't understand is why DanielaE's build and your very first build has no TrueHD dropouts with sync to playback on (23.976-> 24.000, tested on several movies and for hours of continuous play).

You adjusted the sync issues (more than 0.5 seconds on some movies) but something else went in the wrong direction...
I think that DDD might be correct on this. If it is not bitstreaming properly, it should have show up in every system.

Just slightly maybe--is there any firmware update for your AVR? I had problem with HD audio dropout with Pre-Eden last July. After I updated firmware on my Onkyo AVR, it seems to bitstream fine afterward. It's important to make sure that your GPU driver is up to date too...and one of my older HTPC bitstreaming better with Realtek HD audio codecs "High Definition Audio Codecs". Just a thought....

- paolov74 - 2012-03-06

@bluray

thanks for the advice about realtek drivers. I'm using latest AMD drivers (12.1). My AVR (Onkyo 608) doesn't support firmware upgrades.

Tonight I'll try with realtek ones and I'll let you know.

thanks!

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-06

paolov74 Wrote:@DDDamian,

What do you mean by sync to playback 23.976-> 24.000?

Your display is 24 instead of 23.976? What exact sync options are set for you? I would investigate this a bit further before you do things like install codec packs.

The very first build that Daniela provided did have an issue for the overwhelming majority of users in which True-HD was not synced properly. This was due to variability in the frame size of True-HD and how it was being calculated for bitstream output.

If this was working for you, then something is wrong with your setup, the newer patches fixed this issue, the newer patches did not break this.

There is still a problem in some configurations if you turn on both the sync to display and sync to source options, in which True-HD might have dropouts every 45 seconds.

Can you describe exactly what it is that is happening?